Question on toe clips, saddle height and knee injuries

BD_07

Dec 26, 2007
First of all hi, first post.:)

I recently bought a hybrid bike and retro-fitted toe-clips with foot straps. I've adjusted the saddle height so that my knees are just below my hip at the top of their travel. The widest part of my foot is inline with the axle of the pedal.

Problem: Since fitting the straps I've been getting pains near the top of my knees and they feel stiff.

The bike is a FELT.

Any solutions or an explanation of the problem?

Try putting your saddle as far BACK as it will go in the seatpost's cradle ... at least, for one-or-two medium length "test" rides (e.g., 10+ km).

Put your saddle height to when the crank arm is inline with your seat tube (instead of the very bottom of the pedal stroke) you have a slight bend in your knee. Once you have your saddle height correct put your pedals at 3:00 and 9:00 position and "dangle" a washer tied to fishing line from the front of your foward (3:00) knee cap. The washer should hang even with your pedal axle not in front of it. Move your saddle foward or back to get this position. Try it out for a few rides then adjust the saddle back some if your knees are still hurting.

BD_07 said:
First of all hi, first post.:)

I recently bought a hybrid bike and retro-fitted toe-clips with foot straps. I've adjusted the saddle height so that my knees are just below my hip at the top of their travel. The widest part of my foot is inline with the axle of the pedal.

Problem: Since fitting the straps I've been getting pains near the top of my knees and they feel stiff.

The bike is a FELT.

Any solutions or an explanation of the problem?