Question On Two Different Cranksets Q-Factor

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael

I Have a question I hope all can help answer. I have one bike with a 2000 Dura ace crank (splined
BB) and one bike with 99 Campy Record Crankset and a 99 record Bottom Bracket.

The campy crankset has a 9 MM wider q factor than the dura ace crankset. (meaning the horizontal
distance between the pedals is 9MM greater)

Can I Use a different manufacturer's Bottom Bracket on either bike to either widen or reduce
the q-factor?

I'm open to changing the bottom bracket on either bike.

Thanks in advance for the help..

you can get longer pedal spindles if you use Speedplays.

"Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I Have a question I hope all can help answer. I have one bike with a 2000 Dura ace crank (splined
> BB) and one bike with 99 Campy Record Crankset and a 99 record Bottom Bracket.
>
> The campy crankset has a 9 MM wider q factor than the dura ace crankset. (meaning the horizontal
> distance between the pedals is 9MM greater)
>
> Can I Use a different manufacturer's Bottom Bracket on either bike to either widen or reduce the
> q-factor?
>
> I'm open to changing the bottom bracket on either bike.
>
> Thanks in advance for the help..

"Doug" <dougjg@REMOVE_THISearthlink.net> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

Where can you get the longer spindles? I do have speedplays on both bikes.

> you can get longer pedal spindles if you use Speedplays.
>
>
> "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I Have a question I hope all can help answer. I have one bike with a 2000 Dura ace crank
> > (splined BB) and one bike with 99 Campy Record Crankset and a 99 record Bottom Bracket.
> >
> > The campy crankset has a 9 MM wider q factor than the dura ace crankset. (meaning the horizontal
> > distance between the pedals is 9MM greater)
> >
> > Can I Use a different manufacturer's Bottom Bracket on either bike to either widen or reduce the
> > q-factor?
> >
> > I'm open to changing the bottom bracket on either bike.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for the help..

I too have seen that SpeedPlays offer longer spindles, but couldn't locate on their website. I would
say give SpeedPlay a call or send them an e-mail. They do sell items directly and might be able to
accommodate your needs. -Keith

"Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Doug" <dougjg@REMOVE_THISearthlink.net> wrote in message
>
> Where can you get the longer spindles? I do have speedplays on both bikes.
>
>
>
> > you can get longer pedal spindles if you use Speedplays.

Here is their contact info...

Contact Speedplay We receive a large number of e-mail messages each day. Therefore, we cannot
guarantee that your message will be answered right away.

The answers to most questions we receive are addressed on our website (see FAQ's above). If your
question is answered on our website, you may not receive a written response. Allow 5-7 working days
for an e-mail response, or call our toll free number to speak with a technical support
representative.

Looking for the Speedplay dealer nearest you? For the quickest response call us toll-free at
1-800-468-6694

Need a technical question answered? Don't e-mail us, but call toll-free 1-800-468-6694.

Speedplay Inc. 10151 Pacific Mesa Blvd. #107 San Diego, CA 92121 USA 800-468-6694 or 858-453-4707
Fax: 858-453-5871 [email protected]

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:13:22 GMT, "D. Keith Arbuckle" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I too have seen that SpeedPlays offer longer spindles, but couldn't locate on their website. I
>would say give SpeedPlay a call or send them an e-mail. They do sell items directly and might be
>able to accommodate your needs. -Keith
You can also just install 3 mm washers between the pedal and crankarm to get 6 mm.

Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:13:22 GMT, "D. Keith Arbuckle" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I too have seen that SpeedPlays offer longer spindles, but couldn't locate on their website. I
> >would say give SpeedPlay a call or send them an e-mail. They do sell items directly and might be
> >able to accommodate your needs. -Keith
> You can also just install 3 mm washers between the pedal and crankarm to get 6 mm.

Yes, this is a good cheap solution - which I've used. Another solution (although a lot more
expensive) is the excellant Look Carbon CX7 pedal. This pedal allows you to increase the Q factor by
up to 10 mm on each pedal.

I use the Look pedals on my race bike to increase the Q factor as the natural angle of my right foot
meant that there was a tendancy for my heel to rub against the crank arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.