Question on Ultegra 9 spd rear brake/shift lever

BillX

Guest
I'm having problems shifting down to lower gears. My shift lever
resists being pushed once I get about three gears down from highest.
By moving the brake/shift lever around with my hand I eventually find a
position where the shift (smaller of two levers) will move. My
assumption is to shift lower only the smaller lever should be pushed
inward, at least that's what I've done over the past two years and
seemed to work until Sunday when I rolled the bike in some tall grass.
Lever and rear derailer don't appear to be bent but there might be a
little grass imbedded within the small crevisis of the brake/shifter
handle as I pulled some out that was visible from the outside.

Bike is a 2003 Trek 2300 so assuming shifters are also from 2003.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

In article <[email protected]>,
BillX <[email protected]> wrote:
>Lever and rear derailer don't appear to be bent but there might be a
>little grass imbedded within the small crevisis of the brake/shifter
>handle as I pulled some out that was visible from the outside.

Make sure the entire cable path is clean. www.parktool.com has
instructions on adjusting your derailleurs.

BillX wrote:
> I'm having problems shifting down to lower gears. My shift lever
> resists being pushed once I get about three gears down from highest.
> By moving the brake/shift lever around with my hand I eventually find a
> position where the shift (smaller of two levers) will move. My
> assumption is to shift lower only the smaller lever should be pushed
> inward, at least that's what I've done over the past two years and
> seemed to work until Sunday when I rolled the bike in some tall grass.
> Lever and rear derailer don't appear to be bent but there might be a
> little grass imbedded within the small crevisis of the brake/shifter
> handle as I pulled some out that was visible from the outside.
>
> Bike is a 2003 Trek 2300 so assuming shifters are also from 2003.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions?
>
> Thanks!

Very common failure mode for these STI. Big lever travels with small,
resulting in no shift. Flush with WD-40 or a spray lube, whilst working
levers up and down. If no luck, warranty-2 year warranty for ultegra,
105, 3 yr for DA