Question on upgrading from Cat 5 to Cat 4.

jojoma

Sep 7, 2007
Hi,

I haven't heard back from USA Cycling. Maybe someone on this forum knows.

I am about to request an upgrade from cat 5 to cat 4. However, I have registered for a few upcoming races as a Cat 5. Can I still race those events as a 5?

Thanks

When you officially receive your upgrade you should contact the race promoters and ask to be moved to the Cat 4 races. Realistically until you receive your upgrade sticker or request a replacement license you'll still have your current license and unless you print out and carry the paper temporary permission to race form from the USAC website showing your upgrade registrars at the races will still think you're a Cat 5 rider. So if it's just a race or two that are coming up pretty soon you could realistically race them as a 5 and just start racing Cat 4 races when your upgrade sticker arrives in the mail.

Personally I'd print out the form demonstrating your upgrade as soon as it's approved and contact the race promoters to see if they'll move you into the Cat 4 field. It'll be slightly better racing with a better chance of staying upright and in some cases it can actually be more predictable in terms of level of competition as you won't get the crossover athletes on one day licenses racing in the Cat 4 field but that's pretty common in Cat 5 or combined 4/5 races.

Don't drag your feet too long after receiving your official upgrade notice or your upgrade sticker in the mail. If you've filed for the upgrade and it's approved then it's pretty clear sandbagging to continue racing in the lower category. There's a bit of float there during the window between official notification and receiving the sticker in the mail but not a lot so don't push it.

-Dave