Question on use of Yakima BigHorn 4 Bike Rack trailer hitch. Easy question. Thanks, tryitoz

Joe Donaldson

Guest
Just got a Yakima BigHorn bike rack that can hold 4 bikes
(1.25 trailer hitch). It has straps that you fasten down
over the bike frame or the tire I guess. Instructions were
not very straightforward and I know this is a dumb question.

Do most people fasten the bikes to the bike rack via the
tires OR via the frame? Or does it depend?

My girlfriend has the female frame (on her bike as well as
her body) and perhaps I might have problems if I do not try
to mount via tires. Perhaps it may not even fit. If I try
the frame then the bike would be very crooked on the two
Yakima arms.

Or do I need to buy a connection post (guess I would have to
measure one)?

The rack I bought is this:
http://www.rackwarehouse.com/y2405.html

Thanks, Joe

On 12 Mar 2004 17:59:10 -0800, [email protected] (Joe Donaldson)
wrote:
>Just got a Yakima BigHorn bike rack that can hold 4 bikes
>(1.25 trailer hitch). The rack I bought is this:
>http://www.rackwarehouse.com/y2405.html

Nice! When I considered a 1 1/4" hitch rack, I was
completely unable to find one to fit more than two bikes,
and haven't even seen one for 2" hitches for more than
three bikes.

>It has straps that you fasten down over the bike frame or
>the tire I guess. Instructions were not very
>straightforward and I know this is a dumb question.

Do you mean the rubber straps that are part of the rubber
blocks attached to the arms? Those go on the frame, holding
the bike right-side-up.

>Do most people fasten the bikes to the bike rack via the
>tires OR via the frame? Or does it depend?

I always did both. I used a trunk rack, and when I got the
trunk rack sufficiently secured to the car, I could get the
bike secured to the rack by using the rack's rubber straps
around the top tube, and a web-buckle-strap similar to a
belt through both wheels and around the rack.

A similar strap, much more heavy duty, with a more complex
buckle: http://www.atkenco.com/staticsite/prodpg514.asp

A page full of those heavy duty straps: http://www.rei.com/-
online/store/Search?storeId=8000&query=*&cat=4501519

I can't seem to find the light-duty cheap straps that I
used.

Ah, here they are: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores-
/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=9184 except those are too
short. I think it took a 6 foot strap to get inside both
wheels and around the rack.

Here's some nice ones, 6 feet long, with quick releases too:
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDis-
play?productId=7782

>My girlfriend has the female frame (on her bike as well as
>her body)

Heheh...well, the female-framed body IS preferable on a
female.

>and perhaps I might have problems if I do not try to mount
>via tires. Perhaps it may not even fit. If I try the frame
>then the bike would be very crooked on the two Yakima arms.

You may be able to mount one of the rubber block straps on
the seatpost, and the other on the frame, for a reasonably
level bike. Be sure to use at least one more strap to secure
the bike well.

>Or do I need to buy a connection post (guess I would have
>to measure one)?

That would work.
--
Rick Onanian

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> On 12 Mar 2004 17:59:10 -0800, [email protected] (Joe
> Donaldson) wrote:
> >Just got a Yakima BigHorn bike rack that can hold 4 bikes
> >(1.25 trailer hitch). The rack I bought is this:
> >http://www.rackwarehouse.com/y2405.html
>
> Nice! When I considered a 1 1/4" hitch rack, I was
> completely unable to find one to fit more than two bikes,
> and haven't even seen one for 2" hitches for more than
> three bikes.

I've got a Rhode Gear 1-1/4" one for 4 bikes.

Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return
address before replying!

Thanks very much. I did order a connecting bar so female
bikes could be held. So we shall see how it all works. Joe

David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> > On 12 Mar 2004 17:59:10 -0800, [email protected] (Joe
> > Donaldson) wrote:
> > >Just got a Yakima BigHorn bike rack that can hold 4
> > >bikes (1.25 trailer hitch). The rack I bought is this:
> > >http://www.rackwarehouse.com/y2405.html
> >
> > Nice! When I considered a 1 1/4" hitch rack, I was
> > completely unable to find one to fit more than two
> > bikes, and haven't even seen one for 2" hitches for more
> > than three bikes.
>
> I've got a Rhode Gear 1-1/4" one for 4 bikes.

Thanks everyone. Joe