Question on used bike price

Tacomaboy

Guest
My fiance finally got a new HardRock and now we have the old bike sitting in the garage taking up
space. I'd like to sell it for some new suspension fork money.

My question is what is it worth? Its a 97 Rockhopper, it is fully rigid, Alivio Components,
gripshifts. We have replaced the seat and handle bars with more plush ones, so she didnt have to
lean as far, though I have the original ones still. The bike is in good mechanical condition,
though not *perfect*. It has quit a few scratches and one dent (not severe, maybe an inch long) on
the frame.

I would like to get around 150 for it, but I am not sure how much it is worth. Its a good solid
bike, runs very well, its pretty light (croMo frame), but has had some scratches in the past...
any ideas?

Should I try and sell on ebay or locally? I plan to try local first then ebay if no luck. Thanks for
any help yall.

Jason

BTW I have some pics here: http://home.austin.rr.com/jdiaz/bike/

"Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> My fiance finally got a new HardRock and now we have the old bike sitting
in
> the garage taking up space. I'd like to sell it for some new suspension fork money.
>
> My question is what is it worth? Its a 97 Rockhopper, it is fully rigid, Alivio Components,
> gripshifts. We have replaced the seat and handle bars with more plush ones, so she didnt have to
> lean as far, though I have the original ones still. The bike is in good mechanical condition,
> though not *perfect*. It has quit a few scratches and one dent (not severe, maybe an inch long) on
> the frame.
>
> I would like to get around 150 for it, but I am not sure how much it is worth. Its a good solid
> bike, runs very well, its pretty light (croMo frame), but has had some scratches in the past...
> any ideas?
>
> Should I try and sell on ebay or locally? I plan to try local first then ebay if no luck. Thanks
> for any help yall.
>
> Jason

ur going 2 get very little

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training "Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> BTW I have some pics here: http://home.austin.rr.com/jdiaz/bike/
>

> "Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > My fiance finally got a new HardRock and now we have the old bike
sitting
> in
> > the garage taking up space. I'd like to sell it for some new suspension fork money.
> >
> > My question is what is it worth? Its a 97 Rockhopper, it is fully
rigid,
> > Alivio Components, gripshifts. We have replaced the seat and handle
bars
> > with more plush ones, so she didnt have to lean as far, though I have
the
> > original ones still. The bike is in good mechanical condition, though
not
> > *perfect*. It has quit a few scratches and one dent (not severe, maybe
an
> > inch long) on the frame.
> >
> > I would like to get around 150 for it, but I am not sure how much it is worth. Its a good solid
> > bike, runs very well, its pretty light (croMo frame), but has had some scratches in the past...
> > any ideas?
> >
> > Should I try and sell on ebay or locally? I plan to try local first
then
> > ebay if no luck. Thanks for any help yall.
> >
> > Jason

Like what 25 bucks? I have no clue where to start on this one... should I give it to charity?

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ur going 2 get very little
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training "Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > BTW I have some pics here: http://home.austin.rr.com/jdiaz/bike/
> >

> > "Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > My fiance finally got a new HardRock and now we have the old bike
> sitting
> > in
> > > the garage taking up space. I'd like to sell it for some new
suspension
> > > fork money.
> > >
> > > My question is what is it worth? Its a 97 Rockhopper, it is fully
> rigid,
> > > Alivio Components, gripshifts. We have replaced the seat and handle
> bars
> > > with more plush ones, so she didnt have to lean as far, though I have
> the
> > > original ones still. The bike is in good mechanical condition, though
> not
> > > *perfect*. It has quit a few scratches and one dent (not severe,
maybe
> an
> > > inch long) on the frame.
> > >
> > > I would like to get around 150 for it, but I am not sure how much it
is
> > > worth. Its a good solid bike, runs very well, its pretty light (croMo frame), but has had some
> > > scratches in the past... any ideas?
> > >
> > > Should I try and sell on ebay or locally? I plan to try local first
> then
> > > ebay if no luck. Thanks for any help yall.
> > >
> > > Jason

Tacomaboy thoughtfully penned:
> Like what 25 bucks? I have no clue where to start on this one... should I give it to charity?

that would feel good now wouldn't it? ;-)

Well.. not THAT good ;) ... I also have to save money for a wedding and if its worth something, I'd
like to sell it. If its not worth a significant amount though, I would probably find a friend who
could use it and give it to them.

> Tacomaboy thoughtfully penned:
> > Like what 25 bucks? I have no clue where to start on this one... should I give it to charity?
> >

> that would feel good now wouldn't it? ;-)

> Tacomaboy thoughtfully penned:
> > Like what 25 bucks? I have no clue where to start on this one... should I give it to charity?
> >

> that would feel good now wouldn't it? ;-)

But a little money would feel nicer, wouldn't it. $150 doesn't sound like an unreasonable starting
point. Why not run an ad and see what happens. I wouldn't bother with eBay, personally I think the
trouble of boxing it up and shipping it wouldn't be worth it. It might be a good place to see what
similar bikes have sold for, though.

"Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> My fiance finally got a new HardRock and now we have the old bike sitting
in
> the garage taking up space. I'd like to sell it for some new suspension fork money.
>
> My question is what is it worth? Its a 97 Rockhopper, it is fully rigid, Alivio Components,
> gripshifts. We have replaced the seat and handle bars with more plush ones, so she didnt have to
> lean as far, though I have the original ones still. The bike is in good mechanical condition,
> though not *perfect*. It has quit a few scratches and one dent (not severe, maybe an inch long) on
> the frame.
>
> I would like to get around 150 for it, but I am not sure how much it is worth. Its a good solid
> bike, runs very well, its pretty light (croMo frame), but has had some scratches in the past...
> any ideas?
>
> Should I try and sell on ebay or locally? I plan to try local first then ebay if no luck. Thanks
> for any help yall.
>
> Jason

ISTR someone posted here a month or so ago saying they wanted a bike just like that one. You might
want to try a google search - you might get an address and indeed lucky.

Andy Chequer

Sweet thanks!

"Andy Chequer" <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...

> "Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > My fiance finally got a new HardRock and now we have the old bike
sitting
> in
> > the garage taking up space. I'd like to sell it for some new suspension fork money.
> >
> > My question is what is it worth? Its a 97 Rockhopper, it is fully
rigid,
> > Alivio Components, gripshifts. We have replaced the seat and handle
bars
> > with more plush ones, so she didnt have to lean as far, though I have
the
> > original ones still. The bike is in good mechanical condition, though
not
> > *perfect*. It has quit a few scratches and one dent (not severe, maybe
an
> > inch long) on the frame.
> >
> > I would like to get around 150 for it, but I am not sure how much it is worth. Its a good solid
> > bike, runs very well, its pretty light (croMo frame), but has had some scratches in the past...
> > any ideas?
> >
> > Should I try and sell on ebay or locally? I plan to try local first
then
> > ebay if no luck. Thanks for any help yall.
> >
> > Jason
>
> ISTR someone posted here a month or so ago saying they wanted a bike just like that one. You might
> want to try a google search - you might get an address and indeed lucky.
>
> Andy Chequer

Thanks thats helpful... I will start with Austin.forsale! "James Messick" <[email protected]>

> > Tacomaboy thoughtfully penned:
> > > Like what 25 bucks? I have no clue where to start on this one... should I give it to charity?
> > >

> > that would feel good now wouldn't it? ;-)
> >

> But a little money would feel nicer, wouldn't it. $150 doesn't sound like
an
> unreasonable starting point. Why not run an ad and see what happens. I wouldn't bother with eBay,
> personally I think the trouble of boxing it up and shipping it wouldn't be worth it. It might be a
> good place to see what similar bikes have sold for, though.

"Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Well.. not THAT good ;) ... I also have to save money for a wedding and
if
> its worth something, I'd like to sell it. If its not worth a significant amount though, I would
> probably find a friend who could use it and give it to them.

Now weddings, that's one place where way too much money is thrown away. A million people willing to
take yer money.

Sheesh tell me about it....

news:[email protected]...