Question on used bike price

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Tacomaboy, May 18, 2003.

  1. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    My fiance finally got a new HardRock and now we have the old bike sitting in the garage taking up
    space. I'd like to sell it for some new suspension fork money.

    My question is what is it worth? Its a 97 Rockhopper, it is fully rigid, Alivio Components,
    gripshifts. We have replaced the seat and handle bars with more plush ones, so she didnt have to
    lean as far, though I have the original ones still. The bike is in good mechanical condition,
    though not *perfect*. It has quit a few scratches and one dent (not severe, maybe an inch long) on
    the frame.

    I would like to get around 150 for it, but I am not sure how much it is worth. Its a good solid
    bike, runs very well, its pretty light (croMo frame), but has had some scratches in the past...
    any ideas?

    Should I try and sell on ebay or locally? I plan to try local first then ebay if no luck. Thanks for
    any help yall.

    Jason

    Tags:

  2. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    BTW I have some pics here: http://home.austin.rr.com/jdiaz/bike/

    "Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My fiance finally got a new HardRock and now we have the old bike sitting
    in
    > the garage taking up space. I'd like to sell it for some new suspension fork money.
    >
    > My question is what is it worth? Its a 97 Rockhopper, it is fully rigid, Alivio Components,
    > gripshifts. We have replaced the seat and handle bars with more plush ones, so she didnt have to
    > lean as far, though I have the original ones still. The bike is in good mechanical condition,
    > though not *perfect*. It has quit a few scratches and one dent (not severe, maybe an inch long) on
    > the frame.
    >
    > I would like to get around 150 for it, but I am not sure how much it is worth. Its a good solid
    > bike, runs very well, its pretty light (croMo frame), but has had some scratches in the past...
    > any ideas?
    >
    > Should I try and sell on ebay or locally? I plan to try local first then ebay if no luck. Thanks
    > for any help yall.
    >
    > Jason

  3. ur going 2 get very little

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training "Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > BTW I have some pics here: http://home.austin.rr.com/jdiaz/bike/
    >

    > "Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > My fiance finally got a new HardRock and now we have the old bike
    sitting
    > in
    > > the garage taking up space. I'd like to sell it for some new suspension fork money.
    > >
    > > My question is what is it worth? Its a 97 Rockhopper, it is fully
    rigid,
    > > Alivio Components, gripshifts. We have replaced the seat and handle
    bars
    > > with more plush ones, so she didnt have to lean as far, though I have
    the
    > > original ones still. The bike is in good mechanical condition, though
    not
    > > *perfect*. It has quit a few scratches and one dent (not severe, maybe
    an
    > > inch long) on the frame.
    > >
    > > I would like to get around 150 for it, but I am not sure how much it is worth. Its a good solid
    > > bike, runs very well, its pretty light (croMo frame), but has had some scratches in the past...
    > > any ideas?
    > >
    > > Should I try and sell on ebay or locally? I plan to try local first
    then
    > > ebay if no luck. Thanks for any help yall.
    > >
    > > Jason

  4. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    Like what 25 bucks? I have no clue where to start on this one... should I give it to charity?

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > ur going 2 get very little
    >
    > --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training "Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > BTW I have some pics here: http://home.austin.rr.com/jdiaz/bike/
    > >

    > > "Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:vrNxa.22400$9X1.92[email protected]...
    > > > My fiance finally got a new HardRock and now we have the old bike
    > sitting
    > > in
    > > > the garage taking up space. I'd like to sell it for some new
    suspension
    > > > fork money.
    > > >
    > > > My question is what is it worth? Its a 97 Rockhopper, it is fully
    > rigid,
    > > > Alivio Components, gripshifts. We have replaced the seat and handle
    > bars
    > > > with more plush ones, so she didnt have to lean as far, though I have
    > the
    > > > original ones still. The bike is in good mechanical condition, though
    > not
    > > > *perfect*. It has quit a few scratches and one dent (not severe,
    maybe
    > an
    > > > inch long) on the frame.
    > > >
    > > > I would like to get around 150 for it, but I am not sure how much it
    is
    > > > worth. Its a good solid bike, runs very well, its pretty light (croMo frame), but has had some
    > > > scratches in the past... any ideas?
    > > >
    > > > Should I try and sell on ebay or locally? I plan to try local first
    > then
    > > > ebay if no luck. Thanks for any help yall.
    > > >
    > > > Jason

  5. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Tacomaboy thoughtfully penned:
    > Like what 25 bucks? I have no clue where to start on this one... should I give it to charity?

    that would feel good now wouldn't it? ;-)

  6. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    Well.. not THAT good ;) ... I also have to save money for a wedding and if its worth something, I'd
    like to sell it. If its not worth a significant amount though, I would probably find a friend who
    could use it and give it to them.

  7. "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Tacomaboy thoughtfully penned:
    > > Like what 25 bucks? I have no clue where to start on this one... should I give it to charity?
    > >

    > that would feel good now wouldn't it? ;-)

    But a little money would feel nicer, wouldn't it. $150 doesn't sound like an unreasonable starting
    point. Why not run an ad and see what happens. I wouldn't bother with eBay, personally I think the
    trouble of boxing it up and shipping it wouldn't be worth it. It might be a good place to see what
    similar bikes have sold for, though.

  8. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My fiance finally got a new HardRock and now we have the old bike sitting
    in
    > the garage taking up space. I'd like to sell it for some new suspension fork money.
    >
    > My question is what is it worth? Its a 97 Rockhopper, it is fully rigid, Alivio Components,
    > gripshifts. We have replaced the seat and handle bars with more plush ones, so she didnt have to
    > lean as far, though I have the original ones still. The bike is in good mechanical condition,
    > though not *perfect*. It has quit a few scratches and one dent (not severe, maybe an inch long) on
    > the frame.
    >
    > I would like to get around 150 for it, but I am not sure how much it is worth. Its a good solid
    > bike, runs very well, its pretty light (croMo frame), but has had some scratches in the past...
    > any ideas?
    >
    > Should I try and sell on ebay or locally? I plan to try local first then ebay if no luck. Thanks
    > for any help yall.
    >
    > Jason

    ISTR someone posted here a month or so ago saying they wanted a bike just like that one. You might
    want to try a google search - you might get an address and indeed lucky.

    Andy Chequer

  9. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    Sweet thanks!

    "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...

    > "Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > My fiance finally got a new HardRock and now we have the old bike
    sitting
    > in
    > > the garage taking up space. I'd like to sell it for some new suspension fork money.
    > >
    > > My question is what is it worth? Its a 97 Rockhopper, it is fully
    rigid,
    > > Alivio Components, gripshifts. We have replaced the seat and handle
    bars
    > > with more plush ones, so she didnt have to lean as far, though I have
    the
    > > original ones still. The bike is in good mechanical condition, though
    not
    > > *perfect*. It has quit a few scratches and one dent (not severe, maybe
    an
    > > inch long) on the frame.
    > >
    > > I would like to get around 150 for it, but I am not sure how much it is worth. Its a good solid
    > > bike, runs very well, its pretty light (croMo frame), but has had some scratches in the past...
    > > any ideas?
    > >
    > > Should I try and sell on ebay or locally? I plan to try local first
    then
    > > ebay if no luck. Thanks for any help yall.
    > >
    > > Jason
    >
    > ISTR someone posted here a month or so ago saying they wanted a bike just like that one. You might
    > want to try a google search - you might get an address and indeed lucky.
    >
    > Andy Chequer

  10. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    Thanks thats helpful... I will start with Austin.forsale! "James Messick" <[email protected]>

  11. "Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]ster.austin.rr.com...
    > Well.. not THAT good ;) ... I also have to save money for a wedding and
    if
    > its worth something, I'd like to sell it. If its not worth a significant amount though, I would
    > probably find a friend who could use it and give it to them.

    Now weddings, that's one place where way too much money is thrown away. A million people willing to
    take yer money.

  12. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    Sheesh tell me about it....