Question on UST Wheelset Problem

milwaukeehaze

Mar 11, 2005
I recently upgraded my current wheelset (Bontrager Select Disc) with a new set of Bontrager Race Lite Disc (tubeless compatible). I setup the wheels with discs, a cassette, etc...and decided to mount an existing pair of WTB EpicWolf Race tires to the rims with tubes. I did not use rim strips as these wheels have a plastic lining (which I assume if for going tubeless) and after mounting the tires, there are few spots where the tire bead is seated too deeply into the rim so the tire is not centered on the rim. When I spin the rim, the tire appears to wobble because it's not centered. I checked the wheels and they are "true". I tried re-mounting the tires and it still happened in one spot, and I heard another spot "pop out" as I was inflating them. The tires are almost new, and are difficult to put on so that may be why they seem to sit so far below the edge of the rim in a spot or two. Would a rim strip help? Anyone else experience this or does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks!!

bmph8ter

Jun 25, 2004
Mo pressure. If you keep adding air to the tires, eventually they will 'pop' and the bead should be evenly seated all the way around. You may have to go up to the max listed on the sidewall. That's what has always worked for me anyway.

milwaukeehaze

Mar 11, 2005
bmph8ter said:
Mo pressure. If you keep adding air to the tires, eventually they will 'pop' and the bead should be evenly seated all the way around. You may have to go up to the max listed on the sidewall. That's what has always worked for me anyway.
Thanks for the tip! I also read some information over the weekend that soapy water placed on the bead and inside of the rim should also help the bead get seated, so I will try both. I also read that since I am not using the "tubeless" setup that I can remove the plastic rim strip and replace with a normal fabric/rubber rim strip, to further save some weight. I am relieved now because I spent much $ on these wheels.

bikerjohn

Apr 26, 2005
Try using a bar of soap. Take the bar (any kind-I use a translucent type-not too soapy) and rub it on the "cup"(the surface where it meets the rim) of the tire bead all the way around the tire on both sides. Then mount the tires on your rim like normal and you won't have to use soapy water. Just go around the bead/rim area with a "damp" sponge to wet the area all the way around. The bead will sit easily into place at low pressure. This way, the soap residue on your bead will still be on the tire if you need to fix a flat on the trail. Just wet the area again with your water(or spit-sorry if that sounds rude) and you will be able to properly seat the bead using your mini-pump without the need for a floor pump. Give it a try! John.
milwaukeehaze said:
I recently upgraded my current wheelset (Bontrager Select Disc) with a new set of Bontrager Race Lite Disc (tubeless compatible). I setup the wheels with discs, a cassette, etc...and decided to mount an existing pair of WTB EpicWolf Race tires to the rims with tubes. I did not use rim strips as these wheels have a plastic lining (which I assume if for going tubeless) and after mounting the tires, there are few spots where the tire bead is seated too deeply into the rim so the tire is not centered on the rim. When I spin the rim, the tire appears to wobble because it's not centered. I checked the wheels and they are "true". I tried re-mounting the tires and it still happened in one spot, and I heard another spot "pop out" as I was inflating them. The tires are almost new, and are difficult to put on so that may be why they seem to sit so far below the edge of the rim in a spot or two. Would a rim strip help? Anyone else experience this or does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks!!