Question on your average speeds

SpecializedMok

Apr 3, 2010
Hello, This is about to become my second season biking. I would consider myself somewhat athletic (trains 3-5 times a week) but it was mostly circuit training or jogging. My average speed biking solo is about 22 km/h. What do most of you people do? I find I pass lots of casual riders but they look like regular folks in like hybrid/cruiser bikes but there are times when I get passed by people on their road bikes doing like 30km/h and up. Is that what most road bikers cruise at? I've tried to hold it at 30 km/h and there is too much lactic acid build up and I have to slow down... What do you all think?

I don't do training, just general riding. I average about 65k per day
annually. My average speed is about 22kph. Like you I get passed
by the roadies and pass a lot of casual riders.

I just ride at a pace that feels good at the time. Today I did 100k
with an average of 24kph and a top speed of 50kph.

I would try to up the average over a period of a few weeks. I like to
pick up the pace now and then, but back off before I feel any stress.
I try to maintain about a 65/70 cadence. I am old and have bad knees
so I don't push the cadence thing.

My rule is, slow down, shift down, go father faster.

I know this is not much help to your question, but this is how
I do it.

Average speed is wonderful for planning trips and such. But people on the road have different goals and much different average speeds.

As a young man on a typical day I used to average 32kph (20mph) for a hundred miles or more. I could handle 40kph (25mph) for reasonable lengths of time.

Now I am old on a typical day I can average 27kph (17mph) for several hours. I can handle 30+kph (19mph) for a reasonable length of time.

Even as a young man people passed me. And I did not care.

Solo ride is usually 17+ mph but I have no flat routes so average speed on a given route could go as low as 8 mph on a Hors climb. It is all subjective to terrain and conditions.

Originally Posted by jhuskey .. It is all subjective to terrain and conditions....
+1, when I lived in Wyoming with tons of long open roads it was pretty typical to hold 20 mph door to door on long training rides. Here in Seattle I'm lucky to hold 17-18 overall with lots of traffic interruptions and lots of short hills that interfere with steady pacing. If I ride one of the long regional bike paths that are pretty flat my averages are even slower dealing with frequent road crossings, pedestrians, roller bladers, dog walkers, baby carriages, etc. so speed even with the same fitness and bike varies a lot depending on where you're riding.

-Dave

The passing thing was more like an off comment I guess what I was really getting at was if many of you people ride 25 kph+ regularly and what I was going to ask was how did you all get there? Like I said, I consider myself pretty fit but since it's my second season biking I guess I'm slow...

Originally Posted by SpecializedMok .

... I guess what I was really getting at was if many of you people ride 25 kph+ regularly and what I was going to ask was how did you all get there? ..
Easy answer to paraphrase Eddie Merckx, 'Ride Lots'...

But if you're already doing that then the best approaches are to start riding with faster folks as in a local general cycling or racing club and or starting more structured training with things like solid 20 minute intervals where you challenge yourself to ride near but not quite at your limits for extended periods. There are lots of approaches to training but they all start with riding your bike a lot and having a desire to improve. Specific plans are all over the internet and in many good books but joining a local club can really speed up the process.

-Dave

I've tried to hold it at 30 km/h and there is too much lactic acid build up and I have to slow down... What do you all think?
You go out ride at 30km/h for as long as you can then continue riding to where ever you were riding to. Next day go out and try to do better.

Currently you have done very little training. That works for you. Most any riding will improve your abilities. The suggestion of riding with faster people is a good one.

The passing thing was more like an off comment I guess what I was really getting at was if many of you people ride 25 kph+ regularly and what I was going to ask was how did you all get there? Like I said, I consider myself pretty fit but since it's my second season biking I guess I'm slow...
I've been cycling for 4 months now, and am being coached.
I'm doing around 25 hours on the bike a week, and what helped me the most with a high avg speed ( 18 - 19+ mph avg ), is having a good anaerobic threshold to be able to keep it up without being that uncomfortable with doing so.

I suggest some good interval training, and more miles. That will help you with better overall strength and a higher stamina rate.
But obviously I am still quite new to the sport and you should listen to the other riders on here before me.

Thanks. Last summer I was able to go to work bike to work and back which was 35 km (one way) three times a week. So that was about 280 km a week. Then I also rode extra on top of that. That took me to about 6000 km in my first summer. I think it was good mileage that I did but I wasn't really training specifically for cycling. I'll work on that this summer and bring my strength/speed up. Thanks all!

I just switched from a hybrid/fitness bike to a road bike and my speed avg is up to 28 kph. I'm usually out for 40k four or five days a week. I can avg faster on flatter terrain but there is none around here. I'm 49. My cadence is in the mid 70s. I wouldn't worry about speed. Ride, have fun, push yourself some and stay fit.

Hello, This is about to become my second season biking. I would consider myself somewhat athletic (trains 3-5 times a week) but it was mostly circuit training or jogging. My average speed biking solo is about 22 km/h. What do most of you people do? I find I pass lots of casual riders but they look like regular folks in like hybrid/cruiser bikes but there are times when I get passed by people on their road bikes doing like 30km/h and up. Is that what most road bikers cruise at? I've tried to hold it at 30 km/h and there is too much lactic acid build up and I have to slow down... What do you all think?
I started riding again after a long absence, so I was effectively starting from scratch. I rode for about a month alone and was doing pretty well I thought, an average just about 15mph (24kph). I located a local no drop group and on my first ride with them struggled through 35 miles at that speed. They were loafing and basically it was a recovery ride for them. Their advice, ride the big ring, pedal faster. Aerobic fitness was my issue so I started taking cycling classes at the local gym, wearing a HR monitor, and tracking my fitness. Once I started the classes (3x/week), and worked my a$$ off during them, every week I got a little faster. The weekend rides became measures of improvement, longer periods at higher speeds, recovery intervals and some hills. Fast forward to 3 months later, I completed a 62.5 mile group ride at an average of 29kph. My shorter weekend rides now average 30+. Its really a matter of how fast you want to go and putting in the work to get there. My goal is to be able to ride comfortably with the A group in our larger weekend local groups which average 23+mph. Best advice I got was to ride as hard as I could for as long as I could, slow down, recover, and do it again, and again, and again.

Also, if lactic acid build up is an issue, spin faster, but try not to slow down. Try to keep your cadence above 85-90 rpm. This works your aerobic systems and lets your legs flush out the lactic acid. You will find that you will gradually be doing 90+ and can shift to a smaller cog and go faster.

DAL

Originally Posted by DAL1955 .

I started riding again after a long absence, so I was effectively starting from scratch. I rode for about a month alone and was doing pretty well I thought, an average just about 15mph (24kph). I located a local no drop group and on my first ride with them struggled through 35 miles at that speed. They were loafing and basically it was a recovery ride for them. Their advice, ride the big ring, pedal faster. Aerobic fitness was my issue so I started taking cycling classes at the local gym, wearing a HR monitor, and tracking my fitness. Once I started the classes (3x/week), and worked my a$$ off during them, every week I got a little faster. The weekend rides became measures of improvement, longer periods at higher speeds, recovery intervals and some hills. Fast forward to 3 months later, I completed a 62.5 mile group ride at an average of 29kph. My shorter weekend rides now average 30+. Its really a matter of how fast you want to go and putting in the work to get there. My goal is to be able to ride comfortably with the A group in our larger weekend local groups which average 23+mph. Best advice I got was to ride as hard as I could for as long as I could, slow down, recover, and do it again, and again, and again.

Also, if lactic acid build up is an issue, spin faster, but try not to slow down. Try to keep your cadence above 85-90 rpm. This works your aerobic systems and lets your legs flush out the lactic acid. You will find that you will gradually be doing 90+ and can shift to a smaller cog and go faster.

DAL
Dal,

Thanks! Your advice is gold. I will try to follow this. Question though. Where did you find your riding group? And when you are in that group do you all ride close? I don't think I am able to ride with many riders so close yet. I guess I have to build that up. I saw a few groups near my area and when looking at the pics on their website they were like mostly older folks (50'ish with big bellys). I don't want to sound mean but I don't want to ride with groups like that! Or maybe I should... Perhaps I am of the same caliber as them and can learn a few tricks...

Originally Posted by An old Guy .

Even as a young man people passed me. And I did not care.
I envy you. I can't help myself.

There have been times where I go out to just loosen the legs and wind down and then someone motors past.

On regular occasions, I'll be leg weary, starting my commute home and a stronger, work mate, tri-rider hammers past. I think oh no, not again, but I can't help myself.

hmmm, it is windy as heck around here sometimes, so my average speed really depends on the wind and what I am trying to do. Typically if I get back from a solo steady pace ride I will be between 20-21 mph, sometimes it is closer to 22. Group rides, it all just depends who is there, I have had over a 24mph average pace

Dal,

Thanks! Your advice is gold. I will try to follow this. Question though. Where did you find your riding group? And when you are in that group do you all ride close? I don't think I am able to ride with many riders so close yet. I guess I have to build that up. I saw a few groups near my area and when looking at the pics on their website they were like mostly older folks (50'ish with big bellys). I don't want to sound mean but I don't want to ride with groups like that! Or maybe I should... Perhaps I am of the same caliber as them and can learn a few tricks...
Glad you found the advice helpful. Be careful of the old guys ( I'm one of them now-56), they can pound the pedals pretty good. I'm the oldest by a few months of the guys I ride with. I found them by surfing the local bike shops web sites and talked to a few different ride leaders. Some put me off, but one in particular was very encouraging. Look first for a group with a no drop policy as those rides tend to be a little less competitive. When you are able to lead them, do more than your share of pulling, and basically ride away from them at will, find a faster group and ride with the first group for recovery rides. And yes, we ride fairly close. As I was gaining skill, I tended to ride off the back and leave a bike length or two just to make sure I stayed safe with them. As my confidence grew, I pulled up closer and gained the benefit of their draft. After a while I started taking turns pulling (leading), short turns, a few minutes each, and then longer. As they felt I could go faster, they sped up. Our average group speed on the rides is between 18 and 19 mph. We can all go faster for long stretches, but between wind, traffic and recovery our average is what it is. Just a note, at about 40 miles into my recent 62 mile ride I rode many of the remain miles with a gentlemen easily 20 years older than me. He caught me from behind and asked if he could ride my wheel for a while. After about 15 minutes of my 19mph pace, he offered to take a turn in front and sped up to a speedy 21mph and almost left me.

DAL

Seems like i came to the right place...

I'm 22yrs old (female), doing around 120-180 miles a week. avg about 16-18mph in training rides so far this season over 35-50 miles and started time trialing (only 10 miles so far) getting a 21 MPH avg (34kph)

only my second year seriously cycling but have no idea what other women my age and ability is getting as i know no other cyclists!!

PS does anyone have problems with Suunto HR belts?

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Scott2468 .

I envy you. I can't help myself.

There have been times where I go out to just loosen the legs and wind down and then someone motors past.

On regular occasions, I'll be leg weary, starting my commute home and a stronger, work mate, tri-rider hammers past. I think oh no, not again, but I can't help myself.
A couple days ago I was 34 miles into a 50 mile ride. I have my helmet, lycra, cycling shorts, biking shoes, power meter and all. A fellow with no helmet, t-shirt, long pants, and tennis shoes (no toe clips) passes me. I decide to keep up with him. I am following at 200+w 15-20 seconds back from him for a mile or so. Then I realize that we have about 2 miles to the turn around point - 1 mile flat and then 1 mile of uphill.

I don't want this guy to get to the top before me. I don't want to race him. I kick my pace up to 400w and then sit 4 seconds behind him (200+w). Now we start on the easy part of the hill. I get up to 300w and pass him. On the ramps I am over 600w. Just taking it easy. I had forgotten my water bottles so I go to my car and get a bottle and drink it. I see the guy finish up the hill, stop, and drink from his bottles. I start down the hill. And out of the corner of my eye it appears the guy is getting back on his bike to chase after me. At the bottom of the hill I check back and don't see him. I guess I am just imagining stuff.

So 6.5 miles later I go up a short steep climb (the other turn around on the loop) and the guy is right on my wheel. So embarrassing.