Question price of bike specialized transition

t01lightning

Jan 24, 2010
I have a 2005 Specialized trnsition that is brand new and never had air in the tires. Paid 2700 and was going to use it for cardio but never needed it. 0 miles and mint. What is a fair price and what would be a quick sell hell of deal price to a fellow member and be reasonable. I was thinking 1500. Thanks specs below

Specialized Bicycle Components : 05 Transition Comp

t01lightning said:
I have a 2005 Specialized trnsition that is brand new and never had air in the tires. Paid 2700 and was going to use it for cardio but never needed it. 0 miles and mint. What is a fair price and what would be a quick sell hell of deal price to a fellow member and be reasonable. I was thinking 1500. Thanks specs below

Specialized Bicycle Components : 05 Transition Comp
That's a tough call ... I don't think TT/Tri bikes have changed as much as in the past few years as ROAD bikes ...

Nonetheless, I think that if a NOS bike which were that old were sitting in a bike shop that the most they could realistically expect for it would be about 45% to 50% of retail ... so, closer to $1200 to $1350 ...

But, you may as well ask for as much as you want, initially ... and, let the potential buyer haggle his/her way down.

Why did you let the shop sell you a Triathlon bike OR what made you want one when you bought it?

Are you not riding at all?

I bought it to do cardio for a bodybuilding show to seperate my legs so its,never been ridden. So is my bike a road bike a tri bike or something else ?

t01lightning said:
I bought it to do cardio for a bodybuilding show to seperate my legs so its,never been ridden. So is my bike a road bike a tri bike or something else ?

It's a triathlon bike. You can consider selling it whole, but I think you can make more money from it by parting it out on eBay. I'm continually stunned by what people are willing to spend when I sell stuff on eBay.

t01lightning said:
I bought it to do cardio for a bodybuilding show to seperate my legs...

That's not one we hear 'round here too often. I thought bodybuilders were allergic to cardio. ;)

Another problem is that the new Specialized Transition Comp now includes a full carbon frame and a lot of other improvements for about the price you paid for yours. Spec-wise, your's matches up better with the A1 Transition Elite @ $1450 MSRP new, so I think you'd be in that ballpark or lower.

I agree parting it out might be a better idea. BTW, what size is the frame?

It is an xl frame. Yea I do cardio or box to keep my wind up. It helps on those heavy leg days but I won't run more than 20 minutes because it will eventually burn muscle. 20 minutes at 8mph is a decent pace.