Question re: Cannondale R300

Zilla

Guest
Anyone know if this can accept Xcross tires?

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

[email protected] (Zilla) wrote:
> Anyone know if this can accept Xcross tires?

If by "Xcross" you mean cyclocross... it's a possibility, but you might
have issues with brake clearance. My 1998 Cannondale XR800 (cyclocross,
no front suspension) has cantilever brakes (center-pull, that model
year) which elimate any concerns about brake clearance; I suspect the
R300 has something smaller and lighter. (The frames are also a little
bit different, but not in ways that should matter, really.)

Even on the cyclocross bikes, the rims are pretty narrow and road-ish;
mine came with Mavic CXP21s and IRC V-Cross tires. The IRC's were too
wide and had too much rolling resistance for my tastes -- I spend a lot
of time on pavement, and even off pavement, I'm used to narrower tires.
So I replaced them, first with Vittoria Lizards, and later with kevlar
bead Ritchey Speedmax Pro 700x30's.

Hope this info is useful,

-Dan

--
Dan Birchall, Hilo HI - http://hilom.multiply.com/ - images, words, technology

"Dan Birchall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Zilla) wrote:
> > Anyone know if this can accept Xcross tires?

> If by "Xcross" you mean cyclocross... it's a possibility, but you might
> have issues with brake clearance. My 1998 Cannondale XR800 (cyclocross,
> no front suspension) has cantilever brakes (center-pull, that model
> year) which elimate any concerns about brake clearance; I suspect the
> R300 has something smaller and lighter. (The frames are also a little
> bit different, but not in ways that should matter, really.)

You are correct. I have R300. It does not use cantilever brakes.
So, the brake clearance is a problem.

[email protected] (Yum) wrote:

> "Dan Birchall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] (Zilla) wrote:
> > > Anyone know if this can accept Xcross tires?

> > If by "Xcross" you mean cyclocross... it's a possibility, but you might
> > have issues with brake clearance. My 1998 Cannondale XR800 (cyclocross,
> > no front suspension) has cantilever brakes (center-pull, that model
> > year) which elimate any concerns about brake clearance; I suspect the
> > R300 has something smaller and lighter. (The frames are also a little
> > bit different, but not in ways that should matter, really.)
> >

> You are correct. I have R300. It does not use cantilever brakes.
> So, the brake clearance is a problem.

It *may be* a problem. You'll need to look at the dimensions of a
cross-section of the tires you're considering using, and see whether
you have enough brake clearance.

And yeah, I know, a "real" cyclocross bike from Cannondale is an 800-level
ride, and costs about 2-3 times what a 300-level ride costs. :(

--
Dan Birchall, Hilo HI - http://hilom.multiply.com/ - images, words, technology

Dan Birchall <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] (Yum) wrote:
>>
>> "Dan Birchall" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> message news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> If by "Xcross" you mean cyclocross... it's a possibility, but you
>>> might have issues with brake clearance. My 1998 Cannondale XR800
>>> (cyclocross, no front suspension) has cantilever brakes
>>> (center-pull, that model year) which elimate any concerns about
>>> brake clearance; I suspect the R300 has something smaller and
>>> lighter. (The frames are also a little bit different, but not in
>>> ways that should matter, really.)
>>>

>> You are correct. I have R300. It does not use cantilever brakes.
>> So, the brake clearance is a problem.

> It *may be* a problem. You'll need to look at the dimensions of a
> cross-section of the tires you're considering using, and see whether
> you have enough brake clearance.
>
> And yeah, I know, a "real" cyclocross bike from Cannondale is an
> 800-level ride, and costs about 2-3 times what a 300-level ride
> costs. :(
>
> --
> Dan Birchall, Hilo HI - http://hilom.multiply.com/ - images, words,
> technology

Thanks. I think I'll still buy the (used) R300 I was looking for a
backup/trainer bike. I have a line on one for $125.00...

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC
(Remove XSPAM)

[email protected] (Zilla) wrote:
> Dan Birchall <[email protected]> wrote:
> > [email protected] (Yum) wrote:
> >>
> >> "Dan Birchall" <[email protected]> wrote in
> >> message news:[email protected]...

> >> You are correct. I have R300. It does not use cantilever brakes.
> >> So, the brake clearance is a problem.

> > It *may be* a problem. You'll need to look at the dimensions of a
> > cross-section of the tires you're considering using, and see whether
> > you have enough brake clearance.
> >
> > And yeah, I know, a "real" cyclocross bike from Cannondale is an
> > 800-level ride, and costs about 2-3 times what a 300-level ride
> > costs. :(

> Thanks. I think I'll still buy the (used) R300 I was looking for a
> backup/trainer bike. I have a line on one for $125.00...

Good price! :)

--
Dan Birchall, Hilo HI - http://hilom.multiply.com/ - images, words, technology