Question re 'Combativity'

segamartinez

Apr 30, 2005
Just wondering about this classification and if anyone cares about it in the TdF and how exactly the most "combative" or aggressive is deterimined after each stage. Vino got it for the last stage and I know Rasmussen got it in stage 9. I understand what it means but was wondering why on some stages there doesn't seem to be anyone in that classification - does that just mean nobody was aggressive enough in the stage to be deemed worthy of the classification? I can understand the ITT & TTT not having one and I guess if there is no breakaway during a stage - nobody is awarded this 'prize.' Also, is there just one guy chosen by the panel for a particular stage or is there a 1-2-3-type ranking?

I'd say for me - judging by the rules - I'd go with Rasmussen followed by Vino - but that very well could change.

Is there a place where you can see how the panel voted (1-2-3?), or do you just get the one rider which can be found at the TdF website?

From the TdF website:

f) MOST AGGRESSIVE RIDER CLASSIFICATION
This prize is awarded to the rider who displays the most effort and sportsmanship.The recipient of the most aggressive rider is decided on during the road racing stages by a panel chaired by the race manager.
The general classification is determined by adding the points given by all members of the panel in each one of the road racing stages.
In the event of a tie in the final general classification, the order is determined based on riders' placings in the general individual time classification.
Competitors must finish the Tour de France in order to be placed in the most aggressive rider classification.

segamartinez said:
Just wondering about this classification and if anyone cares about it in the TdF and how exactly the most "combative" or aggressive is deterimined after each stage. Vino got it for the last stage and I know Rasmussen got it in stage 9. I understand what it means but was wondering why on some stages there doesn't seem to be anyone in that classification - does that just mean nobody was aggressive enough in the stage to be deemed worthy of the classification? I can understand the ITT & TTT not having one and I guess if there is no breakaway during a stage - nobody is awarded this 'prize.' Also, is there just one guy chosen by the panel for a particular stage or is there a 1-2-3-type ranking?

I'd say for me - judging by the rules - I'd go with Rasmussen followed by Vino - but that very well could change.

Is there a place where you can see how the panel voted (1-2-3?), or do you just get the one rider which can be found at the TdF website?

From the TdF website:

f) MOST AGGRESSIVE RIDER CLASSIFICATION
This prize is awarded to the rider who displays the most effort and sportsmanship.The recipient of the most aggressive rider is decided on during the road racing stages by a panel chaired by the race manager.
The general classification is determined by adding the points given by all members of the panel in each one of the road racing stages.
In the event of a tie in the final general classification, the order is determined based on riders' placings in the general individual time classification.
Competitors must finish the Tour de France in order to be placed in the most aggressive rider classification.

I have an issue with those rules (not your posting them, but the accuracy)
And I'll tell you why.

Some years back Stephen Roche (87 TDF winner) was at the TDF and they asked him each day to select a rider for the combativity award on each stage.
The prize was sponsored by a French Cheese manuafacturer called "Coeur de Lion".
Roche each day would select a rider (if I recall one day the winner was Jacky Durand who'd gone on a 100km solo) and the rider would get the combativity
award and a churn of French cheese !
This was back in the 1990's.

Maybe it has become more organised : but if I am not mistaken i think Jens Voigt got the award on a stage in this years TDF but according to the last line of the rules (above) he won't get the prize because he failed to finish the Tour.
(he was eliminated yesterday)