Question re: how Polar 7xx records ride Time & Avg. Speed

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Garyg, Dec 1, 2003.

  1. Garyg

    Garyg Guest

    I'm under the impression that Polar units record "exercise time" as opposed to "ride time", and
    wonder how that affects Average Speed. For those of you who use the cycling features of the Polar:

    If you ride 20 miles in 1 hour, but have 5 2-minute stops along the way (say, for 5 traffic lights),
    what does the Polar report for Time and Average Speed?

    Does it report 50 minutes ride time, at 24.0 mph average speed? This is what a regular cycle
    computer would report, taking into account distance, and the actual time your bike was moving.

    Or, does it report 60 minutes "exercise time", at 20.0 mph average speed?

    Or, does it report something else?

    I'm interested in the answers, because I'm attempting to add a Polar "import" feature to my
    CycliStats ride log program. But, I'm having a lot of difficulty resolving apparent discrepancies in
    the data (i.e., getting Distance, Time, and Average Speed to agree).

    --
    ~_-* ...G/ \G http://www.CycliStats.com CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

    Tags:

  2. Doug

    Doug Guest

    The 720i has an auto start/stop option that starts the timer and recorder when the wheel begins to
    roll, and stops it when the wheel is stationary. This option can be turned off -- for instance, when
    the bike is on a trainer and the front wheel is not moving. Since the 720i has settings for two
    bikes, that can be named, I have it set up to use on my bike outdoors (or on my rollers) with the
    autostart function enabled, and on my trainer indoors with the autostart function disabled.

    My suggestion would be to download the users manual from Polar's website so you can familiarize
    yourself with all of the different options and capabilities of the monitor.

    "GaryG" <[email protected]_SPAMBEGONE_software.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm under the impression that Polar units record "exercise time" as
    opposed
    > to "ride time", and wonder how that affects Average Speed. For those of
    you
    > who use the cycling features of the Polar:
    >
    > If you ride 20 miles in 1 hour, but have 5 2-minute stops along the way (say, for 5 traffic
    > lights), what does the Polar report for Time and
    Average
    > Speed?
    >
    > Does it report 50 minutes ride time, at 24.0 mph average speed? This is what a regular cycle
    > computer would report, taking into account distance, and the actual time your bike was moving.
    >
    > Or, does it report 60 minutes "exercise time", at 20.0 mph average speed?
    >
    > Or, does it report something else?
    >
    > I'm interested in the answers, because I'm attempting to add a Polar "import" feature to my
    > CycliStats ride log program. But, I'm having a lot of difficulty resolving apparent discrepancies
    > in the data (i.e., getting Distance, Time, and Average Speed to agree).
    >
    > --
    > ~_-* ...G/ \G http://www.CycliStats.com CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

  3. Garyg

    Garyg Guest

    "Doug" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > The 720i has an auto start/stop option that starts the timer and recorder when the wheel begins to
    > roll, and stops it when the wheel is stationary. This option can be turned off -- for instance,
    > when the bike is on a
    trainer
    > and the front wheel is not moving. Since the 720i has settings for two bikes, that can be named, I
    > have it set up to use on my bike outdoors (or
    on
    > my rollers) with the autostart function enabled, and on my trainer indoors with the autostart
    > function disabled.
    >
    > My suggestion would be to download the users manual from Polar's website
    so
    > you can familiarize yourself with all of the different options and capabilities of the monitor.

    Thanks for the reply. I understand that the Polar unit displays ride time and average speed while
    you're riding, but my question concerned what gets saved when you upload to the Polar software. I
    have the software manual, but it is pretty sparse as regards ride time and average speed.

    Unfortunately, the values reported for Distance and Time don't seem to mesh with the reported
    Average Speed.

    For instance, one user reported the following from their Polar software:

    Ride Distance: 17.8 Ride Time (hh:mm:ss): 00:53:33 Ride Average Speed: 20.1 MPH

    Something doesn't add up here, because a 17.8 mile ride, in 00:53:58 has an average speed of 19.944
    mph, not 20.1 mph.

    Ride Distance: 14.95 Ride Time (hh:mm:ss): 00:45:14 Ride Average Speed: 19.2 MPH

    Likewise, something is odd here too. Based on distance and time, this ride should have an average
    speed of 19.831 mph.

    But, perhaps the person I got this data from reported it incorrectly (e.g., reporting Exercise Time,
    instead of Ride Time). Do you have some sample ride data (distance, time, average speed) from your
    Polar software that I could check?

    --
    ~_-* ...G/ \G http://www.CycliStats.com CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

    > "GaryG" <[email protected]_SPAMBEGONE_software.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm under the impression that Polar units record "exercise time" as
    > opposed
    > > to "ride time", and wonder how that affects Average Speed. For those of
    > you
    > > who use the cycling features of the Polar:
    > >
    > > If you ride 20 miles in 1 hour, but have 5 2-minute stops along the way (say, for 5 traffic
    > > lights), what does the Polar report for Time and
    > Average
    > > Speed?
    > >
    > > Does it report 50 minutes ride time, at 24.0 mph average speed? This is what a regular cycle
    > > computer would report, taking into account
    distance,
    > > and the actual time your bike was moving.
    > >
    > > Or, does it report 60 minutes "exercise time", at 20.0 mph average
    speed?

    > > Or, does it report something else?
    > >
    > > I'm interested in the answers, because I'm attempting to add a Polar "import" feature to my
    > > CycliStats ride log program. But, I'm having a
    lot
    > > of difficulty resolving apparent discrepancies in the data (i.e.,
    getting
    > > Distance, Time, and Average Speed to agree).
    > >
    > > --
    > > ~_-* ...G/ \G http://www.CycliStats.com CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

  4. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Gary:

    Depending on sensors installed (cadence, power, etc) it plots a graph with time as one axis, vs
    speed, cadence, heartrate, power, altitude.

    In terms on on-bike display, it has three rows and can display time, elapsed time, altitude,
    cadence, speed, avg speed, distance, etc on the top row, and speed, avg speed time, elapsed time,
    etc on the middle row. Heartrate or Avg heart rate displays on the bottom. You can scroll through
    the various display options while riding.

    "GaryG" <[email protected]_SPAMBEGONE_software.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Doug" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]...
    > > The 720i has an auto start/stop option that starts the timer and
    recorder
    > > when the wheel begins to roll, and stops it when the wheel is
    stationary.
    > > This option can be turned off -- for instance, when the bike is on a
    > trainer
    > > and the front wheel is not moving. Since the 720i has settings for two bikes, that can be named,
    > > I have it set up to use on my bike outdoors
    (or
    > on
    > > my rollers) with the autostart function enabled, and on my trainer
    indoors
    > > with the autostart function disabled.
    > >
    > > My suggestion would be to download the users manual from Polar's website
    > so
    > > you can familiarize yourself with all of the different options and capabilities of the monitor.
    >
    > Thanks for the reply. I understand that the Polar unit displays ride time and average speed while
    > you're riding, but my question concerned what gets saved when you upload to the Polar software. I
    > have the software manual, but it is pretty sparse as regards ride time and average speed.
    >
    > Unfortunately, the values reported for Distance and Time don't seem to
    mesh
    > with the reported Average Speed.
    >
    > For instance, one user reported the following from their Polar software:
    >
    > Ride Distance: 17.8 Ride Time (hh:mm:ss): 00:53:33 Ride Average Speed: 20.1 MPH

    Looks like it "meshes" to me.
    > Something doesn't add up here, because a 17.8 mile ride, in 00:53:58 has
    an
    > average speed of 19.944 mph, not 20.1 mph.
    >
    > Ride Distance: 14.95 Ride Time (hh:mm:ss): 00:45:14 Ride Average Speed: 19.2 MPH
    >
    > Likewise, something is odd here too. Based on distance and time, this
    ride
    > should have an average speed of 19.831 mph.
    >
    > But, perhaps the person I got this data from reported it incorrectly
    (e.g.,
    > reporting Exercise Time, instead of Ride Time). Do you have some sample ride data (distance, time,
    > average speed) from your Polar software that I could check?
    >
    > --
    > ~_-* ...G/ \G http://www.CycliStats.com CycliStats - Software for Cyclists
    >

    > > "GaryG" <[email protected]_SPAMBEGONE_software.com> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I'm under the impression that Polar units record "exercise time" as
    > > opposed
    > > > to "ride time", and wonder how that affects Average Speed. For those
    of
    > > you
    > > > who use the cycling features of the Polar:
    > > >
    > > > If you ride 20 miles in 1 hour, but have 5 2-minute stops along the
    way
    > > > (say, for 5 traffic lights), what does the Polar report for Time and
    > > Average
    > > > Speed?
    > > >
    > > > Does it report 50 minutes ride time, at 24.0 mph average speed? This
    is
    > > > what a regular cycle computer would report, taking into account
    > distance,
    > > > and the actual time your bike was moving.
    > > >
    > > > Or, does it report 60 minutes "exercise time", at 20.0 mph average
    > speed?
    > > >
    > > > Or, does it report something else?
    > > >
    > > > I'm interested in the answers, because I'm attempting to add a Polar "import" feature to my
    > > > CycliStats ride log program. But, I'm having a
    > lot
    > > > of difficulty resolving apparent discrepancies in the data (i.e.,
    > getting
    > > > Distance, Time, and Average Speed to agree).
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > ~_-* ...G/ \G http://www.CycliStats.com CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

    drop me an e-mail and we can figure out what data you need?