Question re service from LBS

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Allan McVie, Jul 28, 2003.

  1. Allan McVie

    Allan McVie Guest

    Hi

    I bought a new bike at the start of the year after a couple of months the bearing on the rear wheel
    disintergrated the LBS that I got the bike from changed the wheel for me and swapped over the tyre
    and cogs from the old wheel at the time everything appeared fine. At the weekend I had my first
    puncture on the rear wheel, I had alot of problem removing the tyre to fix the punture. I then
    spotted that the tyre was a 700c and that the wheel was marked 630.

    is this ok?

    Allan

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Allan McVie wrote:
    > I then spotted that the tyre was a 700c and that the wheel was marked 630.
    >
    > is this ok?

    No! 630 is the larger old imperial size otherwise known as 27 inch. I'm surprised you managed to get
    the tyre on at all! You need 27" tyres or 700c wheels.

    ~PB

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    > I'm surprised you managed to get the tyre on at all!

    Correction: I'm surprised the bike shop staff managed to get it on. The sizes are so different that
    I think you might be trolling.

    ~PB

  4. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    >>I'm surprised you managed to get the tyre on at all!
    >

    > Correction: I'm surprised the bike shop staff managed to get it on. The sizes are so different
    > that I think you might be trolling.

    But what else does the wheel say? Is it really possible that it is a 630mm rim, or perhaps more
    likely that this is just a model number that happens to use this value. I can't recall seeing the
    bead seat diameter marked on rims, but I haven't looked.

    James

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    James Annan wrote:

    > But what else does the wheel say? Is it really possible that it is a 630mm rim, or perhaps more
    > likely that this is just a model number that happens to use this value.

    Long shot but possible.

    > I can't recall seeing the bead seat diameter marked on rims, but I haven't looked.

    They are usually. I've got an on Rigida 27" rim which is marked "16 x 630".

    ~PB

  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    > I've got an on Rigida 27" rim which is marked "16 x 630".
    ^ old

    ~PB

  7. Allan McVie

    Allan McVie Guest

    Hi

    Pete Biggs wrote:

    > > I'm surprised you managed to get the tyre on at all!
    > Correction: I'm surprised the bike shop staff managed to get it on. The sizes are so different
    > that I think you might be trolling. ~PB

    I wish I was trolling I might get a laugh out of the situation.

    Further info

    the wheel is stamped with the following some not that clear.

    Schurmann Germany DIN 630 16 Tvp 6 1.1/2 1'

    As I said I had alot of trouble removing the tyre finnally using the pair of cone spanners I
    happened to have on me I had good motivation as I was a long way from home on a ride.

    According to http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html the ISO Bead seat Diameter of a 700C is
    622mm and a 27xanything is 630mm so the difference is 8mm

    Allan

  8. Thus spake Allan McVie <[email protected]>

    > Hi

    > I bought a new bike at the start of the year after a couple of months the bearing on the rear
    > wheel disintergrated the LBS that I got the bike from changed the wheel for me and swapped over
    > the tyre and cogs from the old wheel at the time everything appeared fine. At the weekend I had my
    > first puncture on the rear wheel, I had alot of problem removing the tyre to fix the punture. I
    > then spotted that the tyre was a 700c and that the wheel was marked 630.

    You can use 630 (ie 27") and 622 (700c) inner tubes interchangeably. You can't do the same with
    outer tyres.

    27 inch wheels are all but obsolete.

  9. Pete Biggs wrote:

    > I'm surprised you managed to get the tyre on at all! You need 27" tyres or 700c wheels.

    I'm further surprised that people are still selling new bikes with 630's...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  10. Johnb

    Johnb Guest

    Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

    > 27 inch wheels are all but obsolete.

    Rubbish - I've got loads in the garage ;-)

    John B