Question Regarding Bike Size

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by bradfordjp, May 5, 2003.

  1. bradfordjp

    bradfordjp Guest

    --MS_Mac_OE_3134936285_968127_MIME_Part Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"

    Greetings all,

    This past week a purchased a very high end road bike that is a size 58. Considering I am new
    to road cycling, I rode as many bikes as I could to hopefully get the best fit. In riding a
    size 56 the bike seemed too damn small. When I was up out of the saddle I was practically out
    over the front of the bike. Now with the 58 though, I feel that I am bending too far forward
    while seated...possibly too stretched out. There is little to no bend in my elbows when riding
    from a semi-relaxed posture. This makes a getting the fingers around the breaks difficult from
    this position as well. I did have a little bend in my elbows with the 56 but again, the frame
    seemed to small.

    Could it be that I need a smaller frame so I can reach the top tube of the handlebars with a
    little bend? Or am I just not used to this kind of bike yet? Of course...my rear is killing
    me as well.

    I've been very physically active all of my life. I just haven't cycled much in my adult years
    other than a beach cruiser to the gym.

    Any advice would be appreciated...

    --MS_Mac_OE_3134936285_968127_MIME_Part Content-type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"

    <HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>Question Regarding Bike Size</TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <FONT SIZE=3D"2">Greetings
    all,<BR> <BR> This past week a purchased a very high end road bike tha= t is a
    size 58. Considering I am new to road cycling, I rode as many b= ikes as I could to hopefully
    get the best fit. In riding a size 56 the= bike seemed too damn small. When I was up out
    of the saddle I was pra= ctically out over the front of the bike. Now with the 58 though, I
    fee= l that I am bending too far forward while seated...possibly too stretched ou=
    t. There is little to no bend in my elbows when riding from a semi-rel= axed posture.
    This makes a getting the fingers around the breaks diffi= cult from this position as well.
    I did have a little bend in my elbows= with the 56 but again, the frame seemed to small.
    <BR> <BR> Could it be that I need a smaller frame so I can reach t= he
    top tube of the handlebars with a little bend? Or am I just not use= d to this kind of bike
    yet? Of course...my rear is killing me as well.= <BR> <BR> I've been very
    physically active all of my life. I= just haven't cycled much in my adult years other than
    a beach cruiser to th= e gym.<BR> <BR> Any advice would be appreciated...
    </FONT> </BODY> </HTML>

    --MS_Mac_OE_3134936285_968127_MIME_Part--

    Tags:

  2. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BADB54DC.991%[email protected]...
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > This past week a purchased a very high end road bike that is a size 58. Considering I am new
    > to road cycling, I rode as many bikes as I could to hopefully get the best fit. In riding a
    > size 56 the bike seemed too damn small. When I was up out of the saddle I was practically out
    > over the
    front
    > of the bike. Now with the 58 though, I feel that I am bending too far forward while
    > seated...possibly too stretched out. There is little to no bend in my elbows when riding from a
    > semi-relaxed posture. This makes a getting the fingers around the breaks difficult from this
    > position as
    well.
    > I did have a little bend in my elbows with the 56 but again, the frame seemed to small.
    >
    > Could it be that I need a smaller frame so I can reach the top tube of the handlebars with a
    > little bend? Or am I just not used to this kind of bike yet? Of course...my rear is killing me
    > as well.
    >
    > I've been very physically active all of my life. I just haven't cycled much in my adult years
    > other than a beach cruiser to the gym.
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated...

    rec.bicycles.tech

    or

    rec.bicycles.misc

  3. "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BADB54DC.991%[email protected]...
    > > Greetings all,
    > >
    > > This past week a purchased a very high end road bike that is a size
    58.
    > > Considering I am new to road cycling, I rode as many bikes as I could to hopefully get the best
    > > fit. In riding a size 56 the bike seemed too
    damn
    > > small. When I was up out of the saddle I was practically out over the
    > front
    > > of the bike. Now with the 58 though, I feel that I am bending too far forward while
    > > seated...possibly too stretched out. There is little to
    no
    > > bend in my elbows when riding from a semi-relaxed posture. This makes a getting the fingers
    > > around the breaks difficult from this position as
    > well.
    > > I did have a little bend in my elbows with the 56 but again, the frame seemed to small.
    > >
    > > Could it be that I need a smaller frame so I can reach the top tube
    of
    > > the handlebars with a little bend? Or am I just not used to this kind
    of
    > > bike yet? Of course...my rear is killing me as well.
    > >
    > > I've been very physically active all of my life. I just haven't
    cycled
    > > much in my adult years other than a beach cruiser to the gym.
    > >
    > > Any advice would be appreciated...
    >

    > rec.bicycles.tech
    >
    > or
    >
    > rec.bicycles.misc

    I forgot:

    rec.bicycles.fred

    That is my favorite group. Don't even know why I read this group when I belong there.

  4. On Mon, 5 May 2003 [email protected] wrote:
    > Could it be that I need a smaller frame so I can reach the top tube of the handlebars with a
    > little bend? Or am I just not used to this kind of bike yet? Of course...my rear is killing me
    > as well. I've been very physically active all of my life. I just haven't cycled much in my
    > adult years other than a beach cruiser to the gym. Any advice would be appreciated...

    The best, definitive, bike fit comes once you are fit for the bike. Be patient: ride, ride and ride
    more. Then, only then, you'll be able to jusdge what is best for you. For good.

    Sergio Pisa

  5. bradford-<< This past week a purchased a very high end road bike that is a size
    58.Considering I am new to road cycling, I rode as many bikes as I could to hopefully get
    the best fit.

    Were all these bikes set up properly in terms of a proper stem, seat heaight, fore/aft?

    If not, the test rides may mean little.

    Remember that a '58' doesn't mean much in terms of you and your dimensions. seattube angle and top
    tube length mean something but vary wildly on many '58s'-

    << Now with the 58 though, I feel that I am bending too far forward while seated...possibly too
    stretched out. There is little to no bend in my elbows when riding from a semi-relaxed posture. This
    makes a getting the fingers around the breaks difficult from this position as well.

    Yor saddle MUST be positioned correctly in terms of height and fore-aft before the tiop tube length
    or stem length means anything. It's like test driving a car w/o moving the seat up or back for your
    leg length.

    << I've been very physically active all of my life. I just haven't cycled much in my adult years
    other than a beach cruiser to the gym.

    Any advice would be appreciated...

    Go to a bike shop that will do a fit on you first, on a fit cycle, then match the frameset to your
    dimensions..."standover, ride around the parking lot" does not a fit make.

    AT LEAST have them get you knee in the prope place and make the stem right before you ride. If they
    won't do that, tell you 'sea stories' about how it doesn't matter or give you the 'thousand yard
    stare'-go elsewhere. Fit is the MOST IMPORTANT THING....

    (59)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  6. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    news:eek:[email protected]...

    > rec.bicycles.fred
    >
    > That is my favorite group. Don't even know why I read this group
    when I
    > belong there.

    Ahh, grasshopper, it isn't everyone who knows himself so intimately. But I always did have the idea
    that you spend a lot of time being intimate with yourself.

  7. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > news:eek:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > rec.bicycles.fred
    > >
    > > That is my favorite group. Don't even know why I read this group
    > when I
    > > belong there.
    >
    > Ahh, grasshopper, it isn't everyone who knows himself so intimately. But I always did have the
    > idea that you spend a lot of time being intimate with yourself.

    He has to. The cockatoo squawks too much when he's intimate with it.

    Mike