Question Regarding Bike Size

bradfordjp

--MS_Mac_OE_3134936285_968127_MIME_Part Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"

Greetings all,

This past week a purchased a very high end road bike that is a size 58. Considering I am new
to road cycling, I rode as many bikes as I could to hopefully get the best fit. In riding a
size 56 the bike seemed too damn small. When I was up out of the saddle I was practically out
over the front of the bike. Now with the 58 though, I feel that I am bending too far forward
while seated...possibly too stretched out. There is little to no bend in my elbows when riding
from a semi-relaxed posture. This makes a getting the fingers around the breaks difficult from
this position as well. I did have a little bend in my elbows with the 56 but again, the frame
seemed to small.

Could it be that I need a smaller frame so I can reach the top tube of the handlebars with a
little bend? Or am I just not used to this kind of bike yet? Of course...my rear is killing
me as well.

I've been very physically active all of my life. I just haven't cycled much in my adult years
other than a beach cruiser to the gym.

Any advice would be appreciated...

--MS_Mac_OE_3134936285_968127_MIME_Part Content-type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"

<HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>Question Regarding Bike Size</TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <FONT SIZE=3D"2">Greetings
all,<BR> <BR> This past week a purchased a very high end road bike tha= t is a
size 58. Considering I am new to road cycling, I rode as many b= ikes as I could to hopefully
get the best fit. In riding a size 56 the= bike seemed too damn small. When I was up out
of the saddle I was pra= ctically out over the front of the bike. Now with the 58 though, I
fee= l that I am bending too far forward while seated...possibly too stretched ou=
t. There is little to no bend in my elbows when riding from a semi-rel= axed posture.
This makes a getting the fingers around the breaks diffi= cult from this position as well.
I did have a little bend in my elbows= with the 56 but again, the frame seemed to small.
<BR> <BR> Could it be that I need a smaller frame so I can reach t= he
top tube of the handlebars with a little bend? Or am I just not use= d to this kind of bike
yet? Of course...my rear is killing me as well.= <BR> <BR> I've been very
physically active all of my life. I= just haven't cycled much in my adult years other than
a beach cruiser to th= e gym.<BR> <BR> Any advice would be appreciated...
</FONT> </BODY> </HTML>

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:BADB54DC.991%[email protected]...
> Greetings all,
>
> This past week a purchased a very high end road bike that is a size 58. Considering I am new
> to road cycling, I rode as many bikes as I could to hopefully get the best fit. In riding a
> size 56 the bike seemed too damn small. When I was up out of the saddle I was practically out
> over the
front
> of the bike. Now with the 58 though, I feel that I am bending too far forward while
> seated...possibly too stretched out. There is little to no bend in my elbows when riding from a
> semi-relaxed posture. This makes a getting the fingers around the breaks difficult from this
> position as
well.
> I did have a little bend in my elbows with the 56 but again, the frame seemed to small.
>
> Could it be that I need a smaller frame so I can reach the top tube of the handlebars with a
> little bend? Or am I just not used to this kind of bike yet? Of course...my rear is killing me
> as well.
>
> I've been very physically active all of my life. I just haven't cycled much in my adult years
> other than a beach cruiser to the gym.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated...

rec.bicycles.tech

or

rec.bicycles.misc

> <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BADB54DC.991%[email protected]...
> > Greetings all,
> >
> > This past week a purchased a very high end road bike that is a size
58.
> > Considering I am new to road cycling, I rode as many bikes as I could to hopefully get the best
> > fit. In riding a size 56 the bike seemed too
damn
> > small. When I was up out of the saddle I was practically out over the
> front
> > of the bike. Now with the 58 though, I feel that I am bending too far forward while
> > seated...possibly too stretched out. There is little to
no
> > bend in my elbows when riding from a semi-relaxed posture. This makes a getting the fingers
> > around the breaks difficult from this position as
> well.
> > I did have a little bend in my elbows with the 56 but again, the frame seemed to small.
> >
> > Could it be that I need a smaller frame so I can reach the top tube
of
> > the handlebars with a little bend? Or am I just not used to this kind
of
> > bike yet? Of course...my rear is killing me as well.
> >
> > I've been very physically active all of my life. I just haven't
cycled
> > much in my adult years other than a beach cruiser to the gym.
> >
> > Any advice would be appreciated...
>

> rec.bicycles.tech
>
> or
>
> rec.bicycles.misc

I forgot:

rec.bicycles.fred

That is my favorite group. Don't even know why I read this group when I belong there.

On Mon, 5 May 2003 [email protected] wrote:
> Could it be that I need a smaller frame so I can reach the top tube of the handlebars with a
> little bend? Or am I just not used to this kind of bike yet? Of course...my rear is killing me
> as well. I've been very physically active all of my life. I just haven't cycled much in my
> adult years other than a beach cruiser to the gym. Any advice would be appreciated...

The best, definitive, bike fit comes once you are fit for the bike. Be patient: ride, ride and ride
more. Then, only then, you'll be able to jusdge what is best for you. For good.

Sergio Pisa

bradford-<< This past week a purchased a very high end road bike that is a size
58.Considering I am new to road cycling, I rode as many bikes as I could to hopefully get
the best fit.

Were all these bikes set up properly in terms of a proper stem, seat heaight, fore/aft?

If not, the test rides may mean little.

Remember that a '58' doesn't mean much in terms of you and your dimensions. seattube angle and top
tube length mean something but vary wildly on many '58s'-

<< Now with the 58 though, I feel that I am bending too far forward while seated...possibly too
stretched out. There is little to no bend in my elbows when riding from a semi-relaxed posture. This
makes a getting the fingers around the breaks difficult from this position as well.

Yor saddle MUST be positioned correctly in terms of height and fore-aft before the tiop tube length
or stem length means anything. It's like test driving a car w/o moving the seat up or back for your
leg length.

<< I've been very physically active all of my life. I just haven't cycled much in my adult years
other than a beach cruiser to the gym.

Any advice would be appreciated...

Go to a bike shop that will do a fit on you first, on a fit cycle, then match the frameset to your
dimensions..."standover, ride around the parking lot" does not a fit make.

AT LEAST have them get you knee in the prope place and make the stem right before you ride. If they
won't do that, tell you 'sea stories' about how it doesn't matter or give you the 'thousand yard
stare'-go elsewhere. Fit is the MOST IMPORTANT THING....

(59)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

news:eek:[email protected]...

> rec.bicycles.fred
>
> That is my favorite group. Don't even know why I read this group
when I
> belong there.

Ahh, grasshopper, it isn't everyone who knows himself so intimately. But I always did have the idea
that you spend a lot of time being intimate with yourself.

> news:eek:[email protected]...
> >
> > rec.bicycles.fred
> >
> > That is my favorite group. Don't even know why I read this group
> when I
> > belong there.
>
> Ahh, grasshopper, it isn't everyone who knows himself so intimately. But I always did have the
> idea that you spend a lot of time being intimate with yourself.

He has to. The cockatoo squawks too much when he's intimate with it.

Mike