Question regarding newer Giant TCR Aluminum-Composite Frames.

Dans le message de
Chalo <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
> Michael Press wrote:
>>
>> Chalo wrote:
>>>
>>> When I see folks riding silly bikes with tires like rubber bands,
>>> drop bars mounted well below saddle level, and saddles the size of
>>> tortilla chips, I don't wonder why riders of such bikes are
>>> fascinated with magical materials that promise to save them from
>>> their suffering. I do wonder why they go to such lengths to ignore
>>> the obvious about the reasons they are uncomfortable.

>> Is 40 mm below the saddle well below?

> Nope. I'd do better with 40mm above, but that's not the kind of folly
> I'm talking about.
>
>> Are 25-28 (measured) tires rubber bands?

> Those are what I would call "the next worst thing".
>
>> Brooks saddle a taco chip?

> Definitely not. The term "chip" means something different in England,
> something more substantial and nourishing. ;^)
>
>> Trust me, I am not uncomfortable.
>> No numbness, no pain.
>> I enjoy riding my bicycles.

> But would you enjoy riding these?
>
> http://mos.bikeradar.com/images/bikes-and-gear/bikes/road/Giant/AdvTeam01-480-70.jpg
> http://www.thebikeboutique.com/images/products/2006_Cervelo_R3_Large_V1.JPG
> http://www.pbase.com/smera/image/70176049/original.jpg
>
> Bikes like these are the ones whose manufacturers often promise
> comfort based on subtleties of the plastic used to make their frames.
> I suspect there are easier and more straightforward ways to address
> their comfort issues.
>
> Chalo

OK, there's no harm being in love with yourself. You don't fit size 44
shoes, you don't have a slim waist, you need extra clearance in doors, you
weigh two people worth. You ride low-riders that were once normal height,
until you sat on them.

Funny how comfy it is when one fits _inside_ design parameters. The average
8 year old won't fit a typical commercially available bike either. For us
average, lowly, all too typical riders, not one of your special needs
applies. Except maybe if we wanted to ride bikes with motors.
--
Sandy

The above is guaranteed 100% free of sarcasm,
denigration, snotty remarks, indifference, platitudes, fuming demands that
"you do the math", conceited visions of a better world on wheels according
to [insert NAME here].

In article
Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:

> Michael Press wrote:
> >
> > Chalo wrote:
> > >
> > > When I see folks riding silly bikes with tires like rubber bands, drop
> > > bars mounted well below saddle level, and saddles the size of tortilla
> > > chips, I don't wonder why riders of such bikes are fascinated with
> > > magical materials that promise to save them from their suffering. I
> > > do wonder why they go to such lengths to ignore the obvious about the
> > > reasons they are uncomfortable.

> > Is 40 mm below the saddle well below?

> Nope. I'd do better with 40mm above, but that's not the kind of folly
> I'm talking about.
>
> > Are 25-28 (measured) tires rubber bands?

> Those are what I would call "the next worst thing".
>
> > Brooks saddle a taco chip?

> Definitely not. The term "chip" means something different in England,
> something more substantial and nourishing. ;^)
>
> > Trust me, I am not uncomfortable.
> > No numbness, no pain.
> > I enjoy riding my bicycles.

> But would you enjoy riding these?
>
> http://mos.bikeradar.com/images/bikes-and-gear/bikes/road/Giant/AdvTeam01-480-70.jpg
> http://www.thebikeboutique.com/images/products/2006_Cervelo_R3_Large_V1.JPG
> http://www.pbase.com/smera/image/70176049/original.jpg

Actually have not ridden those or similar bicycles.
Answer is probably, but not for extended time.

> Bikes like these are the ones whose manufacturers often promise
> comfort based on subtleties of the plastic used to make their frames.
> I suspect there are easier and more straightforward ways to address
> their comfort issues.

Manufacturers promise comfort so as to transfer responsibility
to the purchaser.

--
Michael Press

On Jan 21, 8:02 am, [email protected] wrote:
> On Jan 20, 10:52 am, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > I find aluminum bikes rather stiff, causing aches and pains. My steel
> > bikes have never and continue not to cause these problems. And yes I
> > have tried different things, ti stem, carbon fork + varied seat
> > positions. I have been thinking maybe Giant might have an answer to my
> > pain? I would like to hear from anyone who has put one of these bikes/
> > frames to the test.

> > Cheers
> > Colin

> colin i used to have a fuji team sl that was very light but the
> aluminum frame was too rough. this was a racer's bike. i also have a
> giant ocr3 aluminum that is way more comfortable, and then i also have
> a giant tcr carbon that is way better. so yes aluminum can be harsh,
> but it all depends on the geometry. the tcr geometry is more
> aggressive than the ocr geometry
> carloshttp://www.bikingthings.com
> ride hard, get fit, be happy

Hmm. I currently ride that type of Fuji. While it is true that it is
a very light bike, I don't agree that it is uncomfortable. Over the
last 17 years, I've ridden a steel Bianchi, an aluminum Cannondale and
now the Fuji. All have been set up with the same, and in my
experience all have ridden the same.

With the seat in the same location relative to the crank and the
handle bars in the same location relative to the seat (near as I can
measure). The only difference that I can sense from bike to bike,
especially while riding out of the saddle, is the "feel" which I think
is related to the weight of the bike as it swings from side to side.

All these bike have had similar 23mm tires. I've found the tire size
plays the biggest role in bicycle comfort. Over the years I've
ordered 20mm and 25mm tires by mistake. The 20mm tires made the ride
extremely harsh (this was on the Bianchi). I almost couldn't wait for
those tires to wear out. The 25mm tires made the ride quite a bit
squishier/more comfortable (on both the Bianchi and Cannondale). For
me, the 23mm tires give the best combination of ride and handling.

After tire choice, I've found the saddle to play the second most
important component related to bicycle comfort. The original saddle
on my Bianchi was a Turbo knock-off that was absolutely painful. Not
knowing any better, I used that saddle for many years. I've been
luckier and learned more in the years following.

Tire + saddle choice = comfort.
Frame material = N/A to comfort

My experience, yours may vary.

Regards,