Question Regarding Workout Sequencing

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by LT Intolerant, Aug 8, 2007.

1. LT Intolerant

LT Intolerant New Member

After some downtime I’m back to rebuilding FTP. I’ve "co-opted" and modified a program that Andy/Tom Anhalt put out there a while back, namely…

Monday – 1 hr SST
    Tuesday – 2 x 20 @ FTP
    Wednesday – 1 hr SST
    Thursday – 2 x 20 @ FTP
    Friday – rest
    Sat & Sun – 2-4 hours Tempo

My question is if I change the sequencing of these workouts does that change the training adaptation? For example, if I do one my Tempo rides on Wednesday instead of Saturday, does that change the training effect of of my Thursday workout? Would I see a different type of training adaption if I do an intense wkt. (e.g., 2 x 20 @ FTP) after an intense vs. easy day?

The reason I ask is in the past I’ve always followed intense days with easier days (Tempo or Endo day) to improve the quality of my intense days. If this question has been asked before my apologies.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

gene r

Tags:

2. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

I don't think there would be a difference in overall training effect. But if you do a 4 hour tempo ride on Wed then the 2x20 on Thu might be a bit tougher to do since your TSB would likely be lower than if you had done 1 hr SST the day before. If your tempo ride is more like 2 hrs then no issue.

3. LT Intolerant

LT Intolerant New Member

Thanks Alex. I should have modeled this before asking the question.

If I do 2 hours in the middle of the Tempo range (83% of FTP) I'm racking up a TSS of roughly 166, vs. 1 hour of SST (91% of FTP) which equals 91 TSS.

Interestingly even though 2 hours of Tempo is more taxing in terms of TSS I usually feel more trashed from 1 hour of SST vs 2 hours of Tempo.

Thanks for steering me back to TSS to answer my question.

gene r