Question: SRAM PowerLink Gold

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Chluu907, Jan 31, 2003.

  1. Chluu907

    Chluu907 Guest

    Hi Guys:

    Will the SRAM PowerLink Gold fit on a Shimano Ultegra chain or are these specific to the SRAM
    chains? Have any of you used this product? Any failures or problems with which I should be
    concerned?

    Thanks, Claude

    Tags:

  2. chluu-<< Will the SRAM PowerLink Gold fit on a Shimano Ultegra chain or are these specific to the
    SRAM chains?

    Used many on shimano and Campagnolo 9s chains, work great.

  3. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    I use it on Shimano chain all the time. I've used it to join 2 lengths of different model chain. My
    10 sp friends use it on Campy 10 chain successfully.

    They work great.

    On 31 Jan 2003 09:45:22 GMT, [email protected] (Chluu907) wrote:

    >Hi Guys:
    >
    >Will the SRAM PowerLink Gold fit on a Shimano Ultegra chain or are these specific to the SRAM
    >chains? Have any of you used this product? Any failures or problems with which I should be
    >concerned?
    >
    >Thanks, Claude

  4. Bike Dude

    Bike Dude Guest

    [email protected] (Chluu907) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi Guys:
    >
    > Will the SRAM PowerLink Gold fit on a Shimano Ultegra chain or are these specific to the SRAM
    > chains? Have any of you used this product? Any failures or problems with which I should be
    > concerned?
    >
    > Thanks, Claude
    Claude - the answer is maybe. First, SRAM recommends against it. Of course, that did not stop me or
    a bunch of other guys from doing it. The fit is tighter. Once on, thought, it seems OK. I had one
    failure of a PowerLink on a Shimano chain - the PowerLink came apart. The critical dimension is the
    radius from the hole in the endplate to the end of the endplate. There is a stamped nub on the
    PowerLink, and this provides the "click" to retain the powerlink once installed (the click occurs as
    the opposing plates are pulled apart, and the nub passes by the endplate - before that the nub
    interferes with the endplate). That click is not as definite on a Shimano chain due to clearance
    issues (the radius I just mentioned is either larger, or not as well controlled) and can end up
    putting axial tension on the pin. The one failure I experienced was the pin pulling out of the
    PowerLink.

    One thing I have done with some success is to squeeze that nub down (somewhat) with a set of
    pliers when using the PowerLink on a Shimano Chain. I did this more for ease of
    installation/removal than for longevity, but I have two bikes running that way with no problem
    after thousands of miles. One is a commuter that is pretty much a beater and it is holding up
    fine. I do a lot of climbing on it too.

    Bike Dude.

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Chluu907" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Guys:
    >
    > Will the SRAM PowerLink Gold fit on a Shimano Ultegra chain or are these specific to the SRAM
    > chains? Have any of you used this product? Any
    failures
    > or problems with which I should be concerned?

    The SRAM links don't fit well with that chain in my experience.

    There used to be a TaYa product that fit Shimano nicely but they haven't been available lately.
    (Their design has both pins on one side of the link and a plate with two slots on the other.)

    Super/Craig/Forster Link (Same product, successive names) makes models for Shimano products and they
    work well.