Question: What spice is grown in Mexico?

Sheryl Rosen

Guest
Had to ask noisy neighbor upstairs to quiet down twice in 3
weeks, most recently Monday. Kept me up and also the 85 year
old, cranky landlady on the first floor. Neighbor's
boyfriend is Mexican and he had relatives visiting from
there a few weeks ago.

Tonight, when I got home from work, there was a note sitting
on my doormat, with a bag of some type of spice in seed
form, with a note of apology, and that this was a "peace
offering fresh from Mexico".

It looked like Cumin seed, but it didn't smell like it. It
smells vaguely familiar, but I can't place it.

I will ask her when I bump into her again, but until then, I
wonder if anyone knows what spices are indigenous to Mexico,
that might look like Cumin but smell vaguely like anise????
Any thoughts?

"Sheryl Rosen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BCAC826C.4BAC4%[email protected]...
> Had to ask noisy neighbor upstairs to quiet down twice in
> 3 weeks, most recently Monday. Kept me up and also the 85
> year old, cranky landlady on
the
> first floor. Neighbor's boyfriend is Mexican and he had
> relatives
visiting
> from there a few weeks ago.
>
> Tonight, when I got home from work, there was a note
> sitting on my
doormat,
> with a bag of some type of spice in seed form, with a note
> of apology, and that this was a "peace offering fresh from
> Mexico".
>
> It looked like Cumin seed, but it didn't smell like it. It
> smells vaguely familiar, but I can't place it.
>
> I will ask her when I bump into her again, but until then,
> I wonder if anyone knows what spices are indigenous to
> Mexico, that might look like Cumin but smell vaguely like
> anise???? Any thoughts?

Caraway? I don't associate it with Mexico but it fits your
description.

--
Peter Aitken

Remove the **** from my email address before using.

Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> Had to ask noisy neighbor upstairs to quiet down twice in
> 3 weeks, most recently Monday. Kept me up and also the 85
> year old, cranky landlady on the first floor. Neighbor's
> boyfriend is Mexican and he had relatives visiting from
> there a few weeks ago.
>
> Tonight, when I got home from work, there was a note
> sitting on my doormat, with a bag of some type of spice in
> seed form, with a note of apology, and that this was a
> "peace offering fresh from Mexico".
>
> It looked like Cumin seed, but it didn't smell like it. It
> smells vaguely familiar, but I can't place it.
>
> I will ask her when I bump into her again, but until then,
> I wonder if anyone knows what spices are indigenous to
> Mexico, that might look like Cumin but smell vaguely like
> anise???? Any thoughts?

Fennel; coriander; pot....but I'd bet on fennel.

gloria p

Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> I will ask her when I bump into her again, but until then,
> I wonder if anyone knows what spices are indigenous to
> Mexico, that might look like Cumin but smell vaguely like
> anise? Any thoughts?

My guess would be annatto. Crush one. Do your fingers turn
brilliant yellow-orange? I'm looking forward to the answer.

--Lia

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 23:59:07 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Sheryl Rosen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:BCAC826C.4BAC4%[email protected]...
>> Had to ask noisy neighbor upstairs to quiet down twice in
>> 3 weeks,
most
>> recently Monday. Kept me up and also the 85 year
>> old, cranky
landlady on
>the
>> first floor. Neighbor's boyfriend is Mexican and he had
>> relatives
>visiting
>> from there a few weeks ago.
>>
>> Tonight, when I got home from work, there was a note
>> sitting on my
>doormat,
>> with a bag of some type of spice in seed form, with a
>> note of
apology, and
>> that this was a "peace offering fresh from Mexico".
>>
>> It looked like Cumin seed, but it didn't smell like it.
>> It smells
vaguely
>> familiar, but I can't place it.
>>
>> I will ask her when I bump into her again, but until
>> then, I wonder
if
>> anyone knows what spices are indigenous to Mexico, that
>> might look
like
>> Cumin but smell vaguely like anise???? Any thoughts?
>>

>Caraway? I don't associate it with Mexico but it fits your
description.

Coriander?

http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

in article ZnGhc.873$aQ6.155748@attbi_s51, Julia Altshuler at

> Sheryl Rosen wrote:
>
>> I will ask her when I bump into her again, but until
>> then, I wonder if anyone knows what spices are indigenous
>> to Mexico, that might look like Cumin but smell vaguely
>> like anise? Any thoughts?
>

> My guess would be annatto. Crush one. Do your fingers
> turn brilliant yellow-orange? I'm looking forward to
> the answer.
>
> --Lia

No, I know annatto, which are brick-red seeds. They turn
anything coming into contact with them yellow-orange. (like
lard, oil, rice, etc).

These are brownish seeds, darker than the cumin seeds I have
from Penzey's, with markings like cumin or caraway.

I'll just ask my neighbor. I'm certain they aren't marijuana
seeds. They are probably a type of cumin. Or a blend of a
few things.

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 01:49:39 GMT, Puester
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Fennel; coriander; pot....but I'd bet on fennel.

That would be my guess as well. The logical thing to do
would be to taste it.

-sw

On 22 Apr 2004 00:40:32 GMT, [email protected] (WardNA) wrote:

>>Coriander?
>
>Can't be mistaken for cumin.
>
>I'm guessing it IS cumin, which is not indigenous to
>Mexico, but is
grown there
>and widely used there.

"Seed" was my noun. Cilantro and coriander are from the
same plant.

aloha, Thunder

http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

>Sheryl Rosen wrote:
>
>I wonder if anyone knows what spices are indigenous
>to Mexico.

http://www.oaxaca-restaurants.com/spices.htm

---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 01:49:39 GMT, Puester
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Fennel; coriander; pot....but I'd bet on fennel.
>
> That would be my guess as well. The logical thing to do
> would be to taste it.
>
> -sw

The last time I tasted seeds that someone left at my door I
was tripping for two days. They were "Wood Rose" seeds.

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 23:56:27 GMT, Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> I will ask her when I bump into her again, but until then,
> I wonder if anyone knows what spices are indigenous to
> Mexico, that might look like Cumin but smell vaguely like
> anise???? Any thoughts?

Caraway or fennel spring to mind. Or even actually anise.

--
Tim C.

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 03:20:22 GMT, Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> I'll just ask my neighbor. I'm certain they aren't
> marijuana seeds. They are probably a type of cumin. Or a
> blend of a few things.

Cannabis seeds are completely different. Look in a packet
of mixed bird seed . The hard, dark green/brown, roundish
shiny ones.
--
Tim C.

smithfarms pure kona wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 23:59:07 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"Sheryl Rosen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:BCAC826C.4BAC4%[email protected]...
> >> Had to ask noisy neighbor upstairs to quiet down twice
> >> in 3 weeks,
> most
> >> recently Monday. Kept me up and also the 85 year old,
> >> cranky
> landlady on
> >the
> >> first floor. Neighbor's boyfriend is Mexican and he had
> >> relatives
> >visiting
> >> from there a few weeks ago.
> >>
> >> Tonight, when I got home from work, there was a note
> >> sitting on my
> >doormat,
> >> with a bag of some type of spice in seed form, with a
> >> note of
> apology, and
> >> that this was a "peace offering fresh from Mexico".
> >>
> >> It looked like Cumin seed, but it didn't smell like it.
> >> It smells
> vaguely
> >> familiar, but I can't place it.
> >>
> >> I will ask her when I bump into her again, but until
> >> then, I wonder
> if
> >> anyone knows what spices are indigenous to Mexico, that
> >> might look
> like
> >> Cumin but smell vaguely like anise???? Any thoughts?
> >>

> >Caraway? I don't associate it with Mexico but it
> >fits your
> description.
>
> Coriander?

Coriander seeds don't look anthing like cumin seeds, but
when ground they look quite similar. But since we're talking
seeds here I would say fennel seeds. Look a lot like cumin
seeds but smell a little like anise seeds.

Kate

--
Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead
already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,

"Sheryl Rosen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BCAC826C.4BAC4%[email protected]...
> Had to ask noisy neighbor upstairs to quiet down twice in
> 3 weeks, most recently Monday. Kept me up and also the 85
> year old, cranky landlady on
the
> first floor. Neighbor's boyfriend is Mexican and he had
> relatives
visiting
> from there a few weeks ago.
>
> Tonight, when I got home from work, there was a note
> sitting on my
doormat,
> with a bag of some type of spice in seed form, with a note
> of apology, and that this was a "peace offering fresh from
> Mexico".
>
> It looked like Cumin seed, but it didn't smell like it. It
> smells vaguely familiar, but I can't place it.
>
> I will ask her when I bump into her again, but until then,
> I wonder if anyone knows what spices are indigenous to
> Mexico, that might look like Cumin but smell vaguely like
> anise???? Any thoughts?

Other than asking there is no real way to know - I would
suggest you crush a few and then steep in hot water to
release the flavor & smell.

If you have some ideas you can click on the name here:

http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/index.html

Dimitri

in article [email protected], Dimitri at
[email protected] wrote on 4/22/04 11:17 AM:

> "Sheryl Rosen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:BCAC826C.4BAC4%[email protected]...
>> Had to ask noisy neighbor upstairs to quiet down twice in
>> 3 weeks, most recently Monday. Kept me up and also the 85
>> year old, cranky landlady on
> the
>> first floor. Neighbor's boyfriend is Mexican and he had
>> relatives
> visiting
>> from there a few weeks ago.
>>
>> Tonight, when I got home from work, there was a note
>> sitting on my
> doormat,
>> with a bag of some type of spice in seed form, with a
>> note of apology, and that this was a "peace offering
>> fresh from Mexico".
>>
>> It looked like Cumin seed, but it didn't smell like it.
>> It smells vaguely familiar, but I can't place it.
>>
>> I will ask her when I bump into her again, but until
>> then, I wonder if anyone knows what spices are indigenous
>> to Mexico, that might look like Cumin but smell vaguely
>> like anise???? Any thoughts?
>
> Other than asking there is no real way to know - I would
> suggest you crush a few and then steep in hot water to
> release the flavor & smell.
>

> If you have some ideas you can click on the name here:
>
> http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/index.html
>
> Dimitri

Neighbor, boyfriend and friends were sitting on the front
steps when I arrived home tonight and we had a nice talk.

It IS cumin, btw, I asked her. Frankly, I prefer the
Penzey's cumin, but this is nice too.

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 03:05:11 GMT, Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> in article
> [email protected], Dimitri
> at [email protected] wrote on 4/22/04 11:17 AM:
>

>> "Sheryl Rosen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:BCAC826C.4BAC4%[email protected]...
>>> Had to ask noisy neighbor upstairs to quiet down twice
>>> in 3 weeks, most recently Monday. Kept me up and also
>>> the 85 year old, cranky landlady on
>> the
>>> first floor. Neighbor's boyfriend is Mexican and he had
>>> relatives
>> visiting
>>> from there a few weeks ago.
>>>
>>> Tonight, when I got home from work, there was a note
>>> sitting on my
>> doormat,
>>> with a bag of some type of spice in seed form, with a
>>> note of apology, and that this was a "peace offering
>>> fresh from Mexico".
>>>
>>> It looked like Cumin seed, but it didn't smell like it.
>>> It smells vaguely familiar, but I can't place it.
>>>
>>> I will ask her when I bump into her again, but until
>>> then, I wonder if anyone knows what spices are
>>> indigenous to Mexico, that might look like Cumin but
>>> smell vaguely like anise???? Any thoughts?
>>
>> Other than asking there is no real way to know - I would
>> suggest you crush a few and then steep in hot water to
>> release the flavor & smell.
>>
>> If you have some ideas you can click on the name here:
>>
>> http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/index.html
>>
>> Dimitri
>>

> Neighbor, boyfriend and friends were sitting on the front
> steps when I arrived home tonight and we had a nice talk.
>
> It IS cumin, btw, I asked her. Frankly, I prefer the
> Penzey's cumin, but this is nice too.

there are two main varieties that I'm aware of, the "white"
which is really pale brown/greenish and look like fennel
seeds, and the "black" which has narrower, dark, seeds that
are slightly shiny, and are less aromatic. The cumin seeds
only really develop their typical flavour when roasted
slightly, I find.

--
Tim C.

Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> Neighbor, boyfriend and friends were sitting on the front
> steps when I arrived home tonight and we had a nice talk.

See how much better life can be when folks are nice to each
other, Sheryl...???

--
Best Greg

in article [email protected], Gregory
Morrow at [email protected] wrote on 4/25/04 1:48
PM:

> Sheryl Rosen wrote:
>
>> Neighbor, boyfriend and friends were sitting on the front
>> steps when I arrived home tonight and we had a nice talk.
>

> See how much better life can be when folks are nice to
> each other, Sheryl...???

She was the inconsiderate one, not me. And you're one to
talk.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>It IS cumin, btw, I asked her.

Next time, just ask her before asking the whole world to
take wild guesses.

-sw