Question with Mavic rims on a tandem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bill Smith, May 29, 2003.

  1. Bill Smith

    Bill Smith Guest

    Has anyone had any experience with Mavic rims on a tandem? What dia tires do you run and at what
    pressures? I would like to put Mavic rims on my tandem but am concern with the maximum pressure that
    they recommend (103 psi or 7 bars max) with 28 mm tires.

    Tags:

  2. Pete Grey

    Pete Grey Guest

    Not sure why that would be a problem?

    We used to run 80-85psi in our Panaracer Paselas, 700x32s, I think we got maybe 2-3 flats in 6-7
    years with that combo. These were on Campy deep-dish rims, 36 hole. We weigh-in about 310, and have
    ridden with credit-card touring loads many times.

    We're running similar pressure on our new tandem, 26in wheels, Mavic, 36 spoke again, same tires but
    26x1.25s. One flat in the past year, about 1200mi on that bike.

    -pete

    "Bill Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone had any experience with Mavic rims on a tandem? What dia tires do you run and at what
    > pressures? I would like to put Mavic rims on my tandem but am concern with the maximum pressure
    > that they recommend (103 psi or 7 bars max) with 28 mm tires.

  3. Bill Smith

    Bill Smith Guest

    I am concern that many people are not aware of the maximum pressure rating of the rim. They only
    look at the max. tire pressure that is on the tire. I just had Mavic rims put on my tandem because I
    was having problems with the FIR rims that came on my Santana tandem. The max presure of the Mavic
    rim is 103 psi and I am running Continental Gator skin tires 700X28 which has a max tire pressure of
    120 psi. I was wondering if there are other people running Mavic rims on there tandem at higher than
    rating pressures?