Question

bailey^

Sep 15, 2004
I was reading Chris Carmichael's The Ultimate Ride and while I was reading the nurition before/during/after training part he mentioned drinking a sports drink plus eating other things pre-training/ride and something with a 4:1 carb/protein ratio after. Of course he didn't say it in those terms but those things we mentioned. I was curious as to what qualifies as a good sports drink and what qualifies as a good carb/protein mix drink. The only drink I know of in terms of a sports drink is Gatorade/Powerade and I have no knowledge of a 4:1 carb/protein ratio drink. I've also been told when i did training for golf that when drinking gatorade it should be mixed in with water to a 5:1 water/gatorade ratio. I'm not sure if that transfers over to cycling. Anyways any answers are appreciated.

One last newb question. It gets colder and colder as the weeks go by here and I have a stationary to ride on inside. Except it makes a ton of noise and I don't want to **** of my parents. I want to go buy something that will hold my bike in place while I bike inside but I didn't want to go buy it until I knew the name of it. I think it might be rollers but I'm not sure. So what is the name of this contraption.

Thanks,
Bailey

1. Regarding protein in sports drinks, I recall they are doing custom blended drinks. But don't worry, unless you are doing super-endurance events, you get plenty of protein in your daily diet.

2. Don't dilute the sports drinks -- you need the carbs for energy.

3. Rollers and trainers are two different animals, but trainers do not have to be noisy. Good trainers, like fluid trainers, are very quiet and shouldn't bother someone in another room. I won't go into all of the differences between rollers and trainers, but a search of this forum should help open your eyes.

bailey^ said:
I was reading Chris Carmichael's The Ultimate Ride and while I was reading the nurition before/during/after training part he mentioned drinking a sports drink plus eating other things pre-training/ride and something with a 4:1 carb/protein ratio after. Of course he didn't say it in those terms but those things we mentioned. I was curious as to what qualifies as a good sports drink and what qualifies as a good carb/protein mix drink. The only drink I know of in terms of a sports drink is Gatorade/Powerade and I have no knowledge of a 4:1 carb/protein ratio drink. I've also been told when i did training for golf that when drinking gatorade it should be mixed in with water to a 5:1 water/gatorade ratio. I'm not sure if that transfers over to cycling. Anyways any answers are appreciated.

One last newb question. It gets colder and colder as the weeks go by here and I have a stationary to ride on inside. Except it makes a ton of noise and I don't want to **** of my parents. I want to go buy something that will hold my bike in place while I bike inside but I didn't want to go buy it until I knew the name of it. I think it might be rollers but I'm not sure. So what is the name of this contraption.

Thanks,
Bailey
The ultimate sports drink per CC is the new Power Bar one developed by & with CC. I personally go with Half Gatorade or Powerade / Half H20 - to me that is the best mix for taste & drinkability. I also will use a product called Enervit - which helps prevent dehydration, etc... The ultimate sports drink depends on you - what works for you.

A recovery drink, etc... same deal CC & Power Bar market one. You can also look for some at LBS (Great place to find a quiet MAG roller) or check out the online bike shops / catalogs. (Nashbar, Performance, etc...) Personally I go for a light snack, yogurt, chicken, whatever when I am done with the ride - that works for me. I hope this helps.