Question

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Scruffydog, Jan 9, 2006.

  1. Scruffydog

    Scruffydog Guest

    I am a 44 year old male. We have a full gym at work at work. I started
    working out at lunch with 2 of my co-workers in May.When I started I could
    do a 1 rep max of around 200 in the bench press. As of last week my 3 rep
    max was 350. I usually do about 15-17 with 225 to warm up. The bump up to
    275 for 8 reps, then 315 for 4-5 rep max. Then drop back to 225 to burn out
    10-13 reps. The we do incline, decline, flys, and one other exercise that
    varies. I have gained a lot of size and for the first time today we measured
    our arms and I cam in at 20.5 "

    Here is my questions.

    1. My goal is a 400lb bench. Will it be a lot slower to 400 than it was 200
    to 300.

    2. I am not getting a lot of definition. Do I need to do more reps?

    Sorry if these are dumb newbie questions

    Tags:

  2. Scruffydog

    Scruffydog Guest

    Opps meant to say 1 rep max was 350
    "Scruffydog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I am a 44 year old male. We have a full gym at work at work. I started
    >working out at lunch with 2 of my co-workers in May.When I started I could
    >do a 1 rep max of around 200 in the bench press. As of last week my 3 rep
    >max was 350. I usually do about 15-17 with 225 to warm up. The bump up to
    >275 for 8 reps, then 315 for 4-5 rep max. Then drop back to 225 to burn out
    >10-13 reps. The we do incline, decline, flys, and one other exercise that
    >varies. I have gained a lot of size and for the first time today we
    >measured our arms and I cam in at 20.5 "
    >
    > Here is my questions.
    >
    > 1. My goal is a 400lb bench. Will it be a lot slower to 400 than it was
    > 200 to 300.
    >
    > 2. I am not getting a lot of definition. Do I need to do more reps?
    >
    > Sorry if these are dumb newbie questions

  3. JRH

    JRH Guest

    On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 19:44:40 -0500, "Scruffydog" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I am a 44 year old male. We have a full gym at work at work. I started
    >working out at lunch with 2 of my co-workers in May.

    Lifting coworkers is not recommended, their weight may vary from day
    to day, and they are hard to keep balanced. But I must admit lifting
    two of them is pretty amazing.

  4. Scruffydog

    Scruffydog Guest

    "JRH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 19:44:40 -0500, "Scruffydog" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I am a 44 year old male. We have a full gym at work at work. I started
    >>working out at lunch with 2 of my co-workers in May.

    > Lifting coworkers is not recommended, their weight may vary from day
    > to day, and they are hard to keep balanced. But I must admit lifting
    > two of them is pretty amazing.

    If I could lift those twho doughboys it would be special

  5. JMW

    JMW Guest

    "Scruffydog" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am a 44 year old male. We have a full gym at work at work. I started
    >working out at lunch with 2 of my co-workers in May.When I started I could
    >do a 1 rep max of around 200 in the bench press. As of last week my 3 rep
    >max was 350. I usually do about 15-17 with 225 to warm up. The bump up to
    >275 for 8 reps, then 315 for 4-5 rep max. Then drop back to 225 to burn out
    >10-13 reps. The we do incline, decline, flys, and one other exercise that
    >varies. I have gained a lot of size and for the first time today we measured
    >our arms and I cam in at 20.5 "
    >
    >Here is my questions.
    >
    >1. My goal is a 400lb bench. Will it be a lot slower to 400 than it was 200
    >to 300.

    Yes.

    >2. I am not getting a lot of definition. Do I need to do more reps?

    No.

  6. joanne

    joanne Guest

    JMW wrote:
    > "Scruffydog" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>2. I am not getting a lot of definition. Do I need to do more reps?

    > No.

    Maybe less reps with the fork tho...
    Muscle definition is acheived thru lowering your bodyfat percentage.

    joanne

  7. Hmm well in that area I have some work to do.