Questionnaire for Bicycle Commuters!

Discussion in 'Commuting and Road Safety' started by Productdesign, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Productdesign

Productdesign New Member

Hi Everyone!

I'm a Product Design student in New Zealand and I'm currently looking into the issue of respiratory Safety for bicycle commuters in Urban areas. If you've got a bit of time it would be great if you could answer the following survey to help my research along! [​IMG]

Thanks so much for your time, it's a huge help!

Erika

1) What Country/City do you live in?
    2) What Nationality are you?
    3) What age group are you from?
    4) What is your occupation?
    5) How long have you bicycle commuted for?
    6) How long do you ride for at any one time when commuting?
    7) How would you describe the environments you commute through? (e.g. clean air/countryside or dusty roads/countryside or clean air/city or City smog).
    8) Does exposure to 'particle' air pollution concern you? (e.g. road dust etc.)
    9) Does exposure to 'vapours/gases concern you? (e.g. Carbon Monoxide)
    10) Have you seen anyone wearing a PPE product to aid respiratory protection when bicycle commuting?
    11) What products do you wear on your head/face/mouth when bicycle commuting? (e.g. Helmet, sunglasses, any form of head/face warmer, mouth guard etc)
    12) Have you ever worn a mouth guard (For cycling or other), what was your reason for doing so? and how did it make you feel? (e.g. uncomfortable, protected)
    13) Do you listen to music when bicycle commuting?
    14) If so, what sort of headphones/method do you use for sound transfer?
    16) Are you concerned with your visibility when bicycle commuting?
    17) If any, what products do you wear to aid visibility? (e.g. reflective/ florescent clothing or products).
    18) What are your concerns and anxieties when bicycle commuting? (e.g. visibility, air pollution, accidents with cars etc.)
    19) How do you feel (like or dislike) about the PPE products shown below? (e.g. aesthetics - material, colour, design, function, affordability)
    20) Are you familiar with any other type of PPE product for respiratory protection?

Further comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated...

Tags:

2. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

) What Country/City do you live in?USA, Cincinnati, Ohio
    2) What Nationality are you? American
    3) What age group are you from? 50 - 60 years
    4) What is your occupation? Machinist
    5) How long have you bicycle commuted for? Two years
    6) How long do you ride for at any one time when commuting?30 minutes
    7) How would you describe the environments you commute through? (e.g. clean air/countryside or dusty roads/countryside or clean air/city or City smog).Clean air/suburbs
    8) Does exposure to 'particle' air pollution concern you? (e.g. road dust etc.)No
    9) Does exposure to 'vapours/gases concern you? (e.g. Carbon Monoxide)No
    10) Have you seen anyone wearing a PPE product to aid respiratory protection when bicycle commuting?Yes, usually just a commercially available dust mask during peak allergy seasons
    11) What products do you wear on your head/face/mouth when bicycle commuting? (e.g. Helmet, sunglasses, any form of head/face warmer, mouth guard etc)Helmet
    12) Have you ever worn a mouth guard (For cycling or other), what was your reason for doing so? and how did it make you feel? (e.g. uncomfortable, protected) Never used one
    13) Do you listen to music when bicycle commuting?No, I need to hear the traffic approaching from behind me.
    14) If so, what sort of headphones/method do you use for sound transfer?None
    16) Are you concerned with your visibility when bicycle commuting? Yes
    17) If any, what products do you wear to aid visibility? (e.g. reflective/ florescent clothing or products). Reflective vest, reflectors on the bike, flashing lights on the bike, reflective tape on my trousers.
    18) What are your concerns and anxieties when bicycle commuting? (e.g. visibility, air pollution, accidents with cars etc.)Half asleep drivers at 6:30 AM - 7:00 AM.
    19) How do you feel (like or dislike) about the PPE products shown below? (e.g. aesthetics - material, colour, design, function, affordability)They might be useful to someone who suffers from allergies or cares about the number of bugs they swallow
    20) Are you familiar with any other type of PPE product for respiratory protection?I have used all different types of Respiratory PPE during my time in the military and at several jobs that I have had, so I am quite familiar with many types from common dust masks to the US Navy's self contained oxygen breathing apparatus.

3. john gault

john gault New Member

1) What Country/City do you live in? Jacksonville, Florida
    2) What Nationality are you? United States
    3) What age group are you from? 40’s
    4) What is your occupation? Retired U.S. Navy
    5) How long have you bicycle commuted for? ~23 years
    6) How long do you ride for at any one time when commuting? Being in the Navy I’ve lived in numerous communities, thus my commutes have ranged anywhere from 10 miles to 45 miles (round trip).
    7) How would you describe the environments you commute through? (e.g. clean air/countryside or dusty roads/countryside or clean air/city or City smog). Typical urban, but not super smoggy.
    8) Does exposure to 'particle' air pollution concern you? (e.g. road dust etc.) No
    9) Does exposure to 'vapours/gases concern you? (e.g. Carbon Monoxide) No
    10) Have you seen anyone wearing a PPE product to aid respiratory protection when bicycle commuting? No
    11) What products do you wear on your head/face/mouth when bicycle commuting? (e.g. Helmet, sunglasses, any form of head/face warmer, mouth guard etc) Protective Glasses
    12) Have you ever worn a mouth guard (For cycling or other), what was your reason for doing so? and how did it make you feel? (e.g. uncomfortable, protected) No
    13) Do you listen to music when bicycle commuting? Yes
    14) If so, what sort of headphones/method do you use for sound transfer? Typical Earphone
    17) If any, what products do you wear to aid visibility? (e.g. reflective/ florescent clothing or products). Blinking Lights. In addition to ensuring my visibility to vehicles I take a very proactive approach to riding, thus never ride without a mirror. I’m a very defensive rider and never allow a vehicle to just pass me, placing full faith in the driver. A sideswiping driver never surprises me; I’m always ready to employ evasive action.
    18) What are your concerns and anxieties when bicycle commuting? (e.g. visibility, air pollution, accidents with cars etc.) Accidents.
    19) How do you feel (like or dislike) about the PPE products shown below? (e.g. aesthetics - material, colour, design, function, affordability) Unnecessary.
    20) Are you familiar with any other type of PPE product for respiratory protection? I have used various PPE devices while in the U.S. Navy. However, I've never seen PPE (respiratory) products for cycling.

4. Spire

Spire New Member

1) What Country/City do you live in? Tokyo, Japan
    2) What Nationality are you? British / Canadian
    3) What age group are you from? 20-30
    4) What is your occupation? Computer programmer
    5) How long have you bicycle commuted for? on-and-off for 8 years
    6) How long do you ride for at any one time when commuting? 25km each way, 1 hour
    7) How would you describe the environments you commute through? (e.g. clean air/countryside or dusty roads/countryside or clean air/city or City smog). Clean Air/City
    8) Does exposure to 'particle' air pollution concern you? (e.g. road dust etc.) Yes
    9) Does exposure to 'vapours/gases concern you? (e.g. Carbon Monoxide) Yes
    10) Have you seen anyone wearing a PPE product to aid respiratory protection when bicycle commuting? YES
    11) What products do you wear on your head/face/mouth when bicycle commuting? (e.g. Helmet, sunglasses, any form of head/face warmer, mouth guard etc) Helmet, sunglasses, nechwarmer when chilly
    12) Have you ever worn a mouth guard (For cycling or other), what was your reason for doing so? and how did it make you feel? (e.g. uncomfortable, protected) No
    13) Do you listen to music when bicycle commuting? No
    17) If any, what products do you wear to aid visibility? (e.g. reflective/ florescent clothing or products). Lights, reflective material
    18) What are your concerns and anxieties when bicycle commuting? (e.g. visibility, air pollution, accidents with cars etc.)
    19) How do you feel (like or dislike) about the PPE products shown below? (e.g. aesthetics - material, colour, design, function, affordability) accidents with cars/pedestrians
    20) Are you familiar with any other type of PPE product for respiratory protection? No

5. jock.c

jock.c New Member

1) What Country/City do you live in? Oz / Sydney
    2) What Nationality are you? Oz
    3) What age group are you from? Middle Aged Juvenile Delinquents
    4) What is your occupation? IT Consultant
    5) How long have you bicycle commuted for? 20+ years
    6) How long do you ride for at any one time when commuting? Up to 3 hours (each way)
    7) How would you describe the environments you commute through? (e.g. clean air/countryside or dusty roads/countryside or clean air/city or City smog). All of the above
    8) Does exposure to 'particle' air pollution concern you? (e.g. road dust etc.) Yes and no. I grew up on a road that had an average of 1 coal truck per minute going past 24 x 7, and a major component of training for me has been racing (bike vs) cars. However, the exhaust froom poorly maintained diesel engines surely does ram the particle problem home.
    9) Does exposure to 'vapours/gases concern you? (e.g. Carbon Monoxide). Benzene rings are of most concern. Hard to filter effectively
    10) Have you seen anyone wearing a PPE product to aid respiratory protection when bicycle commuting? Yup. They llook stupid
    11) What products do you wear on your head/face/mouth when bicycle commuting? (e.g. Helmet, sunglasses, any form of head/face warmer, mouth guard etc). Helmet, clear eyeshields
    12) Have you ever worn a mouth guard (For cycling or other), what was your reason for doing so? and how did it make you feel? (e.g. uncomfortable, protected) No, but have considered getting a fitted mouthguard.
    13) Do you listen to music when bicycle commuting? Not on your life, or rather my life
    16) Are you concerned with your visibility when bicycle commuting? Nope. I surely do make myself very visible
    17) If any, what products do you wear to aid visibility? (e.g. reflective/ florescent clothing or products). I wear normal lycra kit, but choose highly contrasting colour schemes so that it's easy for driver to pick me up in their little mirrors
    18) What are your concerns and anxieties when bicycle commuting? (e.g. visibility, air pollution, accidents with cars etc.) Lighting system failure.
    19) How do you feel (like or dislike) about the PPE products shown below? (e.g. aesthetics - material, colour, design, function, affordability). They are all rediculous.
    20) Are you familiar with any other type of PPE product for respiratory protection? No

Further comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated...
    The best PPE inhibtor is having fewer cars sitting in dead pools on the road and reducing the amount of acceleration/deceleration that needs to be performed in a transit journey. Most of the particulate matter in the air is generated by poor planning and poor traffic management

6. wheres_my_beard

wheres_my_beard New Member

]1) What Country/City do you live in?] Norfolk, UK
    2) What Nationality are you? British
    3) What age group are you from? 32-32 years old
    4) What is your occupation? Mental Health worker
    5) How long have you bicycle commuted for? 14 years
    6) How long do you ride for at any one time when commuting? 20-30minutes
    7) How would you describe the environments you commute through? (e.g. clean air/countryside or dusty roads/countryside or clean air/city or City smog). Urban, congested, smokey
    8) Does exposure to 'particle' air pollution concern you? (e.g. road dust etc.) As a smoker no, as a soon to be none smoker, a little.
    9) Does exposure to 'vapours/gases concern you? (e.g. Carbon Monoxide) same as previous
    10) Have you seen anyone wearing a PPE product to aid respiratory protection when bicycle commuting? Very rarely where I live
    11) What products do you wear on your head/face/mouth when bicycle commuting? (e.g. Helmet, sunglasses, any form of head/face warmer, mouth guard etc) Sunglasses occasionally, nothing else.
    12) Have you ever worn a mouth guard (For cycling or other), what was your reason for doing so? and how did it make you feel? (e.g. uncomfortable, protected) I'm not sure what this is, but no.
    13) Do you listen to music when bicycle commuting? Yes, it helps drown out traffic noise LOL :eek:
    14) If so, what sort of headphones/method do you use for sound transfer? In-ear headphones
    16) Are you concerned with your visibility when bicycle commuting? Yes, especially in dense traffic, and car blind spots
    17) If any, what products do you wear to aid visibility? (e.g. reflective/ florescent clothing or products). Some reflective parts on clothing, but could do better!
    18) What are your concerns and anxieties when bicycle commuting? (e.g. visibility, air pollution, accidents with cars etc.) Death, Mutilation, Maiming but I try and put these to the back of my mind. Also, any road user who is unaware of WTF is going on around them.
    19) How do you feel (like or dislike) about the PPE products shown below? (e.g. aesthetics - material, colour, design, function, affordability) From experience, they can make breathing laboured, and get very sweaty inside
    20) Are you familiar with any other type of PPE product for respiratory protection? The top left pic is the type I have used before. The top right and bottom left looks useless as patricles can still get into your nose. And the bottom left, if I saw a cyclist wearing it, would make me think there was some sort of pandemic of an exotic air-borne disease in progress