Questions About 1990 Specialized Sirrus (Steel Content)

John

Guest
I own a 1990 Specialized Sirrus that I purchased new. Some of you who
work at bike shops may remember this bike--it is made of steel and is
red in color. The Sirrus used to be the low-end road model for
Specialized (before they turned it into a cross/touring bike). The
bike is all original and has the stock "New" Shimano 105 components (7
speed double). The bike is in fantastic shape, and I have a few
questions about its construction:

--The bike has a sticker that just says "custom butted
chromoly". Does anybody know what kind of steel this bike is
likely made of? Could it be Reynolds, True Temper, or ????
If it is Reynolds, is it more likely to be 531 or 753 or ???

--Where was the frame made? Were these frames made here in
the U.S. or in Asia somewhere? There is no indication on the
frame as to where it was made.

--The bike has Wolber rims. How do these compare to Mavic
Open Pros? I'm looking for ways of reducing weight, and
thought I might start there. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

[email protected] (John) wrote in message

> I own a 1990 Specialized Sirrus that I purchased new. Some
> of you who work at bike shops may remember this bike--it
> is made of steel and is red in color. The Sirrus used to
> be the low-end road model for Specialized (before they
> turned it into a cross/touring bike). The bike is all
> original and has the stock "New" Shimano 105 components (7
> speed double). The bike is in fantastic shape, and I have
> a few questions about its construction:

I have the triple crank version of the Sirrus, similar
vintage, Suntour-equipped, in blue.

> --The bike has a sticker that just says "custom butted
> chromoly". Does anybody know what kind of steel this bike
> is likely made of? Could it be Reynolds, True Temper, or
> ???? If it is Reynolds, is it more likely to be 531 or 753
> or ??? --Where was the frame made? Were these frames made
> here in the U.S. or in Asia somewhere? There is no
> indication on the frame as to where it was made.

The stickers on mine call the tubing "Direct Drive" double
butted, chromoly "racing" tubing. Mine also says "made in
Taiwan" in several places. As I understand it, "Direct
Drive" was Specialized's house brand of steel tubing. I
don't know who made it, but the fact that it's chromoly
means that it isn't Reynolds 531 or 753 (both of which are
manganese-molybdenum steels). "Made in Taiwan" also suggests
to me that it's not True Temper (which AFAIK is a US brand).
It's a nice quality frame, but I don't think the tubing is a
name brand.

> --The bike has Wolber rims. How do these compare to Mavic
> Open Pros? I'm looking for ways of reducing weight, and
> thought I might start there. Any suggestions?

Mine has these as well. I've had the bike since '92, and put
I don't know how many thousand miles on the wheeks, much of
this on NYC roads. The wheels aren't light, but they've
taken a beating, and are still reasonably straight. I can't
compare them to others, though.

John