Questions about 98 RANS Rocket

William Higley

Guest
Some days turn out better than you think they will.

I was off to a late start last week on my ride to work. As I was coasting down a hill I spotted
another recumbent rider a couple of intersection away. I thought it might be another County Employee
who got bent a couple of months ago so I wanted to catch up. (As it turns out it wasn't anyone I
knew.) He saw me heading his way and thought he would chat for a minute.

When I caught up with him we BS'd for a couple of minutes. He informed me this was the second time
he had owned this bike and was contemplating selling it. He also owns a Cannondale recumbent. He had
picked it up in a garage sale for $100 rode it for a while and sold it. He wound up getting it back
and was looking to sell it again. He stood about 6'4" and said the bike was just not big enough for
him. I asked him his price and he said he would let it go for $100.

I had him follow me to work (which is across the street from our local Police Station) and asked him
to meet me back there a few hours later. I figured if he was dealing in stolen goods he would
probably be scared off by doing business in front of all those police. Anyway he was there waiting
for me and I made the purchase.

I looked at the serial number and determined that the bike was a 98 RANS Rocket. The bike was in
immaculate condition. I checked the chain and it was showing .25% stretch. The tires were the stock
Primo Comets and I would guess had less than a 1000 miles on them. The seat showed nearly zero wear
and tear as well. After looking the bike over I concluded that either it has very few miles on it or
it has been meticulously cared for. In either case I am a happy buyer. The bike also came with a
computer, mirror, and bell.

I'm in the process of getting my wife converted to riding a recumbent and think this will be an
excellent platform for her. I took it for a spin and may use it myself on occasion.

I'm curious if there are any items I should be looking at with caution on a 98 RANS Rocket. So far I
have just been grinning about my purchase.

Anyone doing the RSVP this weekend? (Ride from Seattle to Victoria and Party)

William L. Higley, Sr. Vision R-50 & RANS Rocket

"William Higley, Sr." wrote:
> ... I'm curious if there are any items I should be looking at with caution on a 98 RANS Rocket. So
> far I have just been grinning about my purchase....

If you put a front fender on, cut it off about 6 inches or so in front of the fork. This will leave
enough fender to keep spray off the BB, cranks and feet. The stock setup will likely result in the
riders feet getting caught on the front set of fender struts during low speed maneuvering - I bent
the ones on my Rocket several times before I disposed of them.

Tom, did you remove the front fender struts when you shortened the fender? I have had the
interference problem as well.

Brad.

TBRADSTER wrote:

> Tom, did you remove the front fender struts when you shortened the fender? I have had the
> interference problem as well.

Yes. The only struts are the ones that attach to the bottom of the fender (the ones that extends
back from the fork drop outs roughly parallel to the ground). With only a short section of fender
cantilevered from the fork crown, the front struts are no longer necessary.