questions about a raleigh super record.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by sharno, Oct 27, 2009.

1. sharno

sharno New Member

ok so its been a loooong time but i got the bike fixed up and running, and i love riding it, except for my seat that i bought from walmart its a bell seat and its pretty wide but still hurts my (for lack of a better word) taint...... sorry! i guess im gonna get over to a bike shop and try to find a better seat, if anyone has any suggestions for seats for bigger people post them up. i didnt get new tires yet but in time i will upgrade them. heres 2 pics, also as a reply to the last post, i think your post was useless, im not a doctor i dont know where exactly the tailbone is! but thanks for your cute input[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

If a soft saddle were more comfortable, then most-if-not-all equestrian saddle would be soft ...

A "standard" BROOKS B17 saddle is wider than the typical saddle & will provide a firm platform for your SIT BONES to rest upon.

Orienting the saddle so that the NOSE is level (and, the rear is subsequently often a little higher) is better than having the nose of the saddle shoved into your crotch (a masochistic positioning which 'I' just don't understand people employing AND THEN compensating with heavily padded shorts all-the-while lamenting that they can't find a comfortable saddle) ... well, to each their own.

You MAY want to lower your handlebars as-much-as-possible ... and, thereby redistribute the weight between your hands, feet, and butt more evenly.

IF you can't comfortably lower the bars, then you should consider the BROOKS B67 saddle which is wider & sprung (and, weighs-a-ton) ... but, since you're in FL, the weight shouldn't be a meaningful factor.

3. altoonist

altoonist New Member

Here is my single speed conversion of a 1981 Raleigh Super Record. At first I replaced the multi cog free wheel by a single cog BMX free wheel. I also removed the smallest sprocket on the chain wheel. But then I decided to further simplify the bike, doing away with all the cables, took away the breaks and replaced the rear hub with a coaster break hub. I also repainted it. It used to be black and grey. I love it!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. altoonist

altoonist New Member

Check out my single speed conversion of a 1981 Raleigh Super Record: with a coaster break hub on the back. I rides as fast as a track bike, and as mindlessly as a cruiser. I love it. It's one of my favorite bikes. Check out my blog: Syracuse Bicycle Works
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Pat Stowe

Pat Stowe New Member

don't spend very much as the bike apoears to havew a bent steer tube (fork) and is an entry an entry level type

6. itsserg

itsserg New Member

Nice bike. Looking to do the same thing with a '78 Grand Prix and a 70's Sekine. Did you install a coaster hub on the original rear wheel?