Questions about a steel bike and Sigma BC1600

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ian.D, Jan 5, 2005.

  1. Ian.D

    Ian.D Guest

    All,

    I currently have a older Colnago steel (Super or Mexico I'm not sure)
    frame + chrome fork that is in good condition. I use it mainly on the
    trainer and for travel - I've got a C40 pre Bstay that I just can't
    trust the airline handlers with. Anyhow, I wanted to know if there is
    some type of spray that I could use to coat the insides to make this
    frame rust resistant.

    Also, I was wondering if anyone knows where I could order a set of
    those black rubber bands that our used to hold the magnets and computer
    of Sigma BC1600 bike computer ?

    One final note, I've never ridden a Ti bike but, how much different is
    the ride from a steel ? I'm looking at upgrading my Colnago steel.
    Thanks again,

    IanDinSD

    Tags:

  2. hhu

    hhu Guest

    Those black rubber bands are called o-rings. You should be able to
    pick some up for a few cents at any well stocked hardware store.

    TD

  3. daveornee

    daveornee New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,763
    J. R Weigle's FRAME SAVER provides internal rust protection.
    I don't find the Ti ride much different than steel, but I like both and have both.

  4. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On 5 Jan 2005 22:25:23 -0800, "Ian.D" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >All,
    >
    >I currently have a older Colnago steel (Super or Mexico I'm not sure)
    >frame + chrome fork that is in good condition. I use it mainly on the
    >trainer and for travel - I've got a C40 pre Bstay that I just can't
    >trust the airline handlers with. Anyhow, I wanted to know if there is
    >some type of spray that I could use to coat the insides to make this
    >frame rust resistant.
    >
    >Also, I was wondering if anyone knows where I could order a set of
    >those black rubber bands that our used to hold the magnets and computer
    >of Sigma BC1600 bike computer ?
    >
    >One final note, I've never ridden a Ti bike but, how much different is
    >the ride from a steel ? I'm looking at upgrading my Colnago steel.

    There is no such thing as upgrading from Italian steel frames. There is only
    submitting to fashion, marketing and desperation in the peloton.

    Ron

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Ian.D wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > I currently have a older Colnago steel (Super or Mexico I'm not sure)
    > frame + chrome fork that is in good condition. I use it mainly on the
    > trainer and for travel - I've got a C40 pre Bstay that I just can't
    > trust the airline handlers with. Anyhow, I wanted to know if there is
    > some type of spray that I could use to coat the insides to make this
    > frame rust resistant.
    >
    > Also, I was wondering if anyone knows where I could order a set of
    > those black rubber bands that our used to hold the magnets and computer
    > of Sigma BC1600 bike computer ?
    >
    > One final note, I've never ridden a Ti bike but, how much different is
    > the ride from a steel ? I'm looking at upgrading my Colnago steel.
    > Thanks again,

    Corrosion inside steel frames is a rare event. Plugging up
    the vent holes or allowing mud or hydroscopic detritus to
    accumulate inside is usually at the root of it. If you'd
    sleep better, Weigle's Frame Saver, here and at most LBS who
    sell premium steel frames, won't hurt anything.

    Any hardware store or auto parts supply will have Viton
    O-Rings in various sizes cheap.

    Ideally, a well-designed Ti frame should ride exactly like a
    steel frame. At least in my opinion. If you have a specific
    characteristic in mind, there are various frame designs
    available.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org