Questions about Caloric Intake

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ryann, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. Ryann

    Ryann Guest

    Hi I have some questions about my caloric intake. I am 5'4 tall and weigh 160 pounds.

    Four weeks ago I started doing an 45 minute aerobic cardio workout 4 days a week. I eat three (what
    I think is pretty standard) meals a day. I did not make a significant effort to change my eating
    habits assuming that I was sedentary before that and that regular diet + exercise should show some
    change. Four weeks later I haven't lost 1 pound.

    From what I gather, generally the average person should intake around 2000 calories per day. And to
    lose weight, that person should cut their intake of calories by about 500 calories, bringing the
    total to 1500 calories per day.

    Now, I have been calculating my meals (regular non-diet eating) randomly over the last month or so
    and I admit I could be missing some calories here or there but my caloric intake on a regular basis,
    on a regular (non dieting) day is only 1000 calories.

    I also realise that my fat intake was too high. Probably around 50-80 grams a day. I am making
    changes to reduce it to under 30 grams a day. But that was a given.

    So my question is, is part of the reason I can't lose becuase I don't eat enough? I have heard this
    before I think but am unsure if it is true. If my body is in starvation mode, and I need to bring it
    out by eating more good stuff, more frequently throughout the day, how many calories should I work
    myself up to?

    Thanks in advance for you help!

    Ryann

    Tags:

  2. Rita

    Rita Guest

    On 6 Feb 2003 10:18:03 -0800, [email protected] (Ryann) wrote:

    >Hi I have some questions about my caloric intake. I am 5'4 tall and weigh 160 pounds.
    >
    >Four weeks ago I started doing an 45 minute aerobic cardio workout 4 days a week. I eat three (what
    >I think is pretty standard) meals a day. I did not make a significant effort to change my eating
    >habits assuming that I was sedentary before that and that regular diet + exercise should show some
    >change. Four weeks later I haven't lost 1 pound.

    What do you consider a standard meal?

    >From what I gather, generally the average person should intake around 2000 calories per day. And to
    >lose weight, that person should cut their intake of calories by about 500 calories, bringing the
    >total to 1500 calories per day.

    There is no average person.

    >Now, I have been calculating my meals (regular non-diet eating) randomly over the last month or so
    >and I admit I could be missing some calories here or there but my caloric intake on a regular
    >basis, on a regular (non dieting) day is only 1000 calories.

    Randomly doesn't work. Use the free program at www.fitday.com and be scrupulously honest to see how
    many calories you are taking
    in. And I don't understand about dieting and non-dieting days.

    >I also realise that my fat intake was too high. Probably around 50-80 grams a day. I am making
    >changes to reduce it to under 30 grams a day. But that was a given.

    Fitday will help you with calculating fat percentage in your diet.

    >So my question is, is part of the reason I can't lose becuase I don't eat enough? I have heard this
    >before I think but am unsure if it is true. If my body is in starvation mode, and I need to bring
    >it out by eating more good stuff, more frequently throughout the day, how many calories should I
    >work myself up to?

    Five or six small meals a day is a good thing to shoot for. When you eat fewer calories than you
    need to maintain your weight, you will lose weight. Eating small meals more frequently will help
    your metabolism and may also keep you from becoming so hungry you overeat. So you need to distribute
    the proper amount of calories for you between these small meals.

    The best results are with both lowering calories and regular exercise.

    >Thanks in advance for you help!
    >
    >Ryann

  3. Spiro J

    Spiro J Guest

    "Ryann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi I have some questions about my caloric intake. I am 5'4 tall and weigh 160 pounds.
    >
    > Four weeks ago I started doing an 45 minute aerobic cardio workout 4 days a week. I eat three
    > (what I think is pretty standard) meals a day. I did not make a significant effort to change my
    > eating habits assuming that I was sedentary before that and that regular diet + exercise should
    > show some change. Four weeks later I haven't lost 1 pound.
    >
    > From what I gather, generally the average person should intake around 2000 calories per day. And
    > to lose weight, that person should cut their intake of calories by about 500 calories, bringing
    > the total to 1500 calories per day.
    >
    > Now, I have been calculating my meals (regular non-diet eating) randomly over the last month or so
    > and I admit I could be missing some calories here or there but my caloric intake on a regular
    > basis, on a regular (non dieting) day is only 1000 calories.
    >
    > I also realise that my fat intake was too high. Probably around 50-80 grams a day. I am making
    > changes to reduce it to under 30 grams a day. But that was a given.
    >
    > So my question is, is part of the reason I can't lose becuase I don't eat enough? I have heard
    > this before I think but am unsure if it is true. If my body is in starvation mode, and I need to
    > bring it out by eating more good stuff, more frequently throughout the day, how many calories
    > should I work myself up to?
    >

    > Thanks in advance for you help!
    >
    > Ryann

    First of all when are you doing your cardio...do it right when you get up in the morning on a empty
    stomach(in t * 3 = R) meaning you 3 times the amount of fat burned in the morning that you would on
    a full stomach.

    Second, if you are consuming high density carbs 2,000 calories wouldn't be enough to sastify you
    hunger...Switch to low density micronutrient rich carbs (fruits and veggies) you can thus consume
    much more food and yet intake less calories...this should do the trick