Questions about Campy freewheel hubs

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Apr 21, 7:12 pm, Jay Beattie <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Apr 20, 10:06 am, [email protected] (Donald Gillies) wrote:
> > > Jay Beattie <[email protected]> writes:

> > > I personally think 2x7 = 14 gears is plenty for most applications,

so
> > > I ride with 126mm rear hubs. And as for sneering at a 14-24 x

42-52,
> > > how about my 13-21 x 42x52 on San Diego hills? And yes, last month

> > > passed ALL THE CARBON WEENIES on my 22 lbs 1977 Carlton on TORREY
> > > PINES ROAD, which is about an 8-10% grade, in my 54-inch low gear !!

> > Man, I'm talking about the real good old days -- 42/52 and 13-19 (or
> > 21) five speed. Seven speed was styling. Now that I am old, though,
> > a 39/21 will not cut it for some of the steep stuff around here -- and
> > I just have to accept the fact that I can either get lower gears or
> > plastic knees.

> Dude, plastic knees are such disposable trendy fashion. I mean,
> there are posers out there with carbon and titanium knees, but if
> you really want stylish joints that will stand the test of time,
> you need lugged steel knees.
>
> I never get this thing (which Donald exhibited, but not to single
> him out) about saying it's the engine that matters (which is
> surely true) and simultaneously talking about passing the
> carbon weenies on a hill. It's the engine that matters, not their
> frame material anyway, and passing people proves little unless
> you're actually in a race. When I pass people or get passed
> I rarely notice their frame material, unless it's an unusual
> or classic bike. I'm usually checking out their calf muscles
> rather than the bike, anyway.
>
> Ben

Calf muscles?

It's the women who pass me all of the time. They're too fast for me these
days. I gave up trying to chase them and just admire their backsides as
they breakaway.

I've gotten some strange looks from some of them when I mentioned wheel
sucking.... ;-)

Chas.

On Apr 21, 9:36 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:

> For what I've spent on retro stuff over the past year I could have bought
> a top end carbon, aluminum or Ti bike... but I'd feel stupid riding one of
> them, like one of the "Microsoft Bikers" on their full dress hawgs hanging
> out down in Pioneer Square.

FWIW, I work at Microsoft, and I only ride steel. Depending on the
weather, I'm either on my '75 Peugeot (nice weather) or my Surly (foul
weather).

One of the guys I see in the locker room most mornings rides a
"cyclocross" bike in the winter with disc brakes. One day, I saw that
he had a Ksyrium in back, meaning he had no rear brakes. I asked what
was up with that, and he said he'd bent the rim, and couldn't find a
replacement. The curse of the paired-spoke, 6-bolt, 130mm rear wheel
strikes again!

On Apr 22, 12:24 am, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 21, 9:36 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > For what I've spent on retro stuff over the past year I could have bought
> > a top end carbon, aluminum or Ti bike... but I'd feel stupid riding one of
> > them, like one of the "Microsoft Bikers" on their full dress hawgs hanging
> > out down in Pioneer Square.

> FWIW, I work at Microsoft, and I only ride steel. Depending on the
> weather, I'm either on my '75 Peugeot (nice weather) or my Surly (foul
> weather).
>
> One of the guys I see in the locker room most mornings rides a
> "cyclocross" bike in the winter with disc brakes. One day, I saw that
> he had a Ksyrium in back, meaning he had no rear brakes. I asked what
> was up with that, and he said he'd bent the rim, and couldn't find a
> replacement. The curse of the paired-spoke, 6-bolt, 130mm rear wheel
> strikes again!

Oh, and the sure sign that there'd been a downturn in the tech sector?
The day I overheard a short, skinny bald guy in Dockers, saying in a
Microsoft cafeteria: "So I'm thinking about selling my Harley..."

"Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Apr 22, 12:24 am, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Apr 21, 9:36 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > For what I've spent on retro stuff over the past year I could have

bought
> > > a top end carbon, aluminum or Ti bike... but I'd feel stupid riding

one of
> > > them, like one of the "Microsoft Bikers" on their full dress hawgs

hanging
> > > out down in Pioneer Square.

> > FWIW, I work at Microsoft, and I only ride steel. Depending on the
> > weather, I'm either on my '75 Peugeot (nice weather) or my Surly (foul
> > weather).
> >
> > One of the guys I see in the locker room most mornings rides a
> > "cyclocross" bike in the winter with disc brakes. One day, I saw that
> > he had a Ksyrium in back, meaning he had no rear brakes. I asked what
> > was up with that, and he said he'd bent the rim, and couldn't find a
> > replacement. The curse of the paired-spoke, 6-bolt, 130mm rear wheel
> > strikes again!

> Oh, and the sure sign that there'd been a downturn in the tech sector?
> The day I overheard a short, skinny bald guy in Dockers, saying in a
> Microsoft cafeteria: "So I'm thinking about selling my Harley..."

What's going to become of Pioneer Square? ;-)

Chas.

On Apr 22, 12:24 am, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 21, 9:36 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > For what I've spent on retro stuff over the past year I could have bought
> > a top end carbon, aluminum or Ti bike... but I'd feel stupid riding one of
> > them, like one of the "Microsoft Bikers" on their full dress hawgs hanging
> > out down in Pioneer Square.

> FWIW, I work at Microsoft, and I only ride steel. Depending on the
> weather, I'm either on my '75 Peugeot (nice weather) or my Surly (foul
> weather).
>
> One of the guys I see in the locker room most mornings rides a
> "cyclocross" bike in the winter with disc brakes. One day, I saw that
> he had a Ksyrium in back, meaning he had no rear brakes. I asked what
> was up with that, and he said he'd bent the rim, and couldn't find a
> replacement. The curse of the paired-spoke, 6-bolt, 130mm rear wheel
> strikes again!

I ride a cross bike with discs as my commuter, and I really like it --
BUT, I do regret that I cannot swap in other wheels in a pinch. I
suppose I will build a pair of back-up wheels one day, but until then,
if things go bad, I just ride another bike. BTW, it is a breeze
finding rims for my disc wheels since they are just 32 hole medium
flange hubs (currently strung on Open Pros). They take a 292mm spoke,
IIRC, which also is a common size. I don't know what the paired spoke
wheels use, but I think some use pretty common spokes, albeit in a
goofy pattern, IMO. -- Jay Beattie.

On Apr 22, 4:18 pm, Jay Beattie <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 22, 12:24 am, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 21, 9:36 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > For what I've spent on retro stuff over the past year I could have bought
> > > a top end carbon, aluminum or Ti bike... but I'd feel stupid riding one of
> > > them, like one of the "Microsoft Bikers" on their full dress hawgs hanging
> > > out down in Pioneer Square.

> > FWIW, I work at Microsoft, and I only ride steel. Depending on the
> > weather, I'm either on my '75 Peugeot (nice weather) or my Surly (foul
> > weather).

> > One of the guys I see in the locker room most mornings rides a
> > "cyclocross" bike in the winter with disc brakes. One day, I saw that
> > he had a Ksyrium in back, meaning he had no rear brakes. I asked what
> > was up with that, and he said he'd bent the rim, and couldn't find a
> > replacement. The curse of the paired-spoke, 6-bolt, 130mm rear wheel
> > strikes again!

> I ride a cross bike with discs as my commuter, and I really like it --
> BUT, I do regret that I cannot swap in other wheels in a pinch. I
> suppose I will build a pair of back-up wheels one day, but until then,
> if things go bad, I just ride another bike. BTW, it is a breeze
> finding rims for my disc wheels since they are just 32 hole medium
> flange hubs (currently strung on Open Pros). They take a 292mm spoke,
> IIRC, which also is a common size. I don't know what the paired spoke
> wheels use, but I think some use pretty common spokes, albeit in a
> goofy pattern, IMO. -- Jay Beattie.- Hide quoted text -

130mm or 135? Good luck finding 130mm disc hubs.

The guy at work had goofy split-flange hubs that precluded relacing
with any commonly available rim.

[email protected] wrote:
> On Apr 21, 7:12 pm, Jay Beattie <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Apr 20, 10:06 am, [email protected] (Donald Gillies) wrote:
>>> Jay Beattie <[email protected]> writes:
>>> I personally think 2x7 = 14 gears is plenty for most applications, so
>>> I ride with 126mm rear hubs. And as for sneering at a 14-24 x 42-52,
>>> how about my 13-21 x 42x52 on San Diego hills? And yes, last month I
>>> passed ALL THE CARBON WEENIES on my 22 lbs 1977 Carlton on TORREY
>>> PINES ROAD, which is about an 8-10% grade, in my 54-inch low gear !!

>> Man, I'm talking about the real good old days -- 42/52 and 13-19 (or
>> 21) five speed. Seven speed was styling. Now that I am old, though,
>> a 39/21 will not cut it for some of the steep stuff around here -- and
>> I just have to accept the fact that I can either get lower gears or
>> plastic knees.

> Dude, plastic knees are such disposable trendy fashion. I mean,
> there are posers out there with carbon and titanium knees, but if
> you really want stylish joints that will stand the test of time,
> you need lugged steel knees.
>
> I never get this thing (which Donald exhibited, but not to single
> him out) about saying it's the engine that matters (which is
> surely true) and simultaneously talking about passing the
> carbon weenies on a hill. It's the engine that matters, not their
> frame material anyway, and passing people proves little unless
> you're actually in a race. When I pass people or get passed
> I rarely notice their frame material, unless it's an unusual
> or classic bike. I'm usually checking out their calf muscles
> rather than the bike, anyway.

mmm. nice thought.
Yeah I like watching the young girls as they pass me up the hills.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Apr 22, 8:23 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> mmm. nice thought.
> Yeah I like watching the young girls as they pass me up the hills.

Young WOMEN, Andy, young women.

You don't want a poor choice of words to require registering your
whereabouts with the county sheriff's office.

:)

Hank Wirtz wrote:
> Young WOMEN, Andy, young women.
> You don't want a poor choice of words to require registering your
> whereabouts with the county sheriff's office.
> :)

just looking
(they're all in their twenties anyway)
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

"Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Apr 22, 8:23 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > mmm. nice thought.
> > Yeah I like watching the young girls as they pass me up the hills.

> Young WOMEN, Andy, young women.
>
> You don't want a poor choice of words to require registering your
> whereabouts with the county sheriff's office.
>
> :)

15 will get you 20! ;-)

But they sure look good in lycra.

Chas.

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> On Apr 22, 8:23 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> mmm. nice thought.
>>> Yeah I like watching the young girls as they pass me up the hills.

For me it's their heavy breathing that slows me down on the climbs.
I think I'll ride in the back of the pack today.
-tom

On Apr 22, 6:06 pm, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 22, 4:18 pm, Jay Beattie <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > FWIW, I work at Microsoft, and I only ride steel. Depending on the
> > > weather, I'm either on my '75 Peugeot (nice weather) or my Surly (foul
> > > weather).

> > > One of the guys I see in the locker room most mornings rides a
> > > "cyclocross" bike in the winter with disc brakes. One day, I saw that
> > > he had a Ksyrium in back, meaning he had no rear brakes. I asked what
> > > was up with that, and he said he'd bent the rim, and couldn't find a
> > > replacement. The curse of the paired-spoke, 6-bolt, 130mm rear wheel
> > > strikes again!

> > I ride a cross bike with discs as my commuter, and I really like it --
> > BUT, I do regret that I cannot swap in other wheels in a pinch. I
> > suppose I will build a pair of back-up wheels one day, but until then,
> > if things go bad, I just ride another bike. BTW, it is a breeze
> > finding rims for my disc wheels since they are just 32 hole medium
> > flange hubs (currently strung on Open Pros). They take a 292mm spoke,
> > IIRC, which also is a common size. I don't know what the paired spoke
> > wheels use, but I think some use pretty common spokes, albeit in a
> > goofy pattern, IMO. -- Jay Beattie.- Hide quoted text -

> 130mm or 135? Good luck finding 130mm disc hubs.

Good point. I have a Cannondale with 135mm disc hubs. The OEM hubs
were utter ****, and I rebuilt the wheels with some anchor-weight,
sale-table Deore six bolt hubs (last of the Shimano six bolt, IIRC).
$38 for the pair. Not fancy, but the seals are good. -- Jay Beattie.