Questions about first road bike purchase

airosen said:
So you're saying I should go with a more traditional frame?
How will a horizontal top tube pay off? (Keep in mind, I don't think I'll be doing much (or any) racing on this bike)
It's really a tradeoff between comfort and performance. A horizontal tube will allow you to transmit more power to the pedals and into the drivetrain. You'll be more effecient and will cycle faster. However, with the Pilot series, you'll be more comfortable riding, but will be less efficient. It really depends on what you want, I was just throwing out my personal opinion.

Now you say that it would be less efficient. But on what scale? Would I be able to notice my performance drop if I had been riding a traditional frame all my life then all of a sudden I swich to compact frame? Or is it a pretty negligible difference? I mean I'm willing to sacrifice some performance for comfort, but I don't want to just throw out energy. So I guess my question is does it make a big difference?

airosen said:
Now you say that it would be less efficient. But on what scale? Would I be able to notice my performance drop if I had been riding a traditional frame all my life then all of a sudden I swich to compact frame? Or is it a pretty negligible difference? I mean I'm willing to sacrifice some performance for comfort, but I don't want to just throw out energy. So I guess my question is does it make a big difference?
When you are first starting out riding it will probably not make much of a difference to you. The amount of energy you're "throwing away" will be fairly negligable. However, as you get more and more into riding, you might find yourself wanting the more aggressive frame. One thing you could do, is get a bike with a horizontal tube (i'm not sure about the specs on the Pilot 1.2, but the 1000 might be comparable?) and get a fork that angles upward. Then, when you want more performance, you could flip the fork over. If I were you though, I'd get a second opinion, maybe from your LBS, before you make a decision. I do work at a bike shop, but don't go only on what I'm saying.