Questions about Geko 201

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Simon Mc, Aug 23, 2004.

  1. Simon Mc

    Simon Mc Guest

    Hi,

    I've got a couple of questions for any 201 owners out there...

    1) Can the unit show your current position in OS map format e.g.SH603586 for
    Glyders Horseshoe?
    2) What's the best mapping software to have on the PC end of things? I'd
    prefer to plan maps on the PC then download them. Are memory-map and anquet
    the main contenders here?
    3) How do I (and how much does it cost) to connect the unit to a PC for
    downloading maps?
    4) Is the connection to a serial or a USB connection?

    Regards,

    Simon Mc.

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Simon Mc
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Hi,
    >
    >I've got a couple of questions for any 201 owners out there...
    >
    >1) Can the unit show your current position in OS map format e.g.SH603586 for
    >Glyders Horseshoe?

    Yes but the grid refs have one metre precision - they are ten figure
    refs.

    >2) What's the best mapping software to have on the PC end of things? I'd
    >prefer to plan maps on the PC then download them. Are memory-map and anquet
    >the main contenders here?

    They are the big boys but there are also Fugawi UK and Tracklogs

    http://www.fugawi.com/docs/fugawiuk.html
    http://www.tracklogs.co.uk/

    I would suggest that you download the trial version of each program and
    have a play with it to see how it fits your requirements.

    >3) How do I (and how much does it cost) to connect the unit to a PC for
    >downloading maps?

    A cable can be bought from most GPS suppliers but the official Garmin
    cable is expensive. Lynks cables sell one for £12.95.

    http://www.lynks.co.uk/cables.html

    You cannot download any maps to the Geko. Only wapoints, routes and
    tracks can be downloaded.

    The Garmin mapping units can only accept maps in the Garmin format and,
    despite some recent talk, they do not do compatible OS maps yet.

    >4) Is the connection to a serial or a USB connection?

    Serial.

    --

    Dominic Sexton
    http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/

  3. Mike Clark

    Mike Clark Guest

    <URL:mailto:[email protected]> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got a couple of questions for any 201 owners out there...

    Have you bothered to look at the Garmin website?

    <URL:http://www.garmin.com/>

    > 1) Can the unit show your current position in OS map format
    > e.g.SH603586 for Glyders Horseshoe?

    Yes. Most (but not all) GPS models display position in various
    national grid formats including OS GB.

    > 2) What's the best mapping software to have on the PC end of things?

    It depends what you want to do with the track logs, waypoints, route
    planning etc. I use GPS Utility for much of this

    <URL:http://www.gpsu.co.uk/>

    > I'd prefer to plan maps on the PC then download them. Are memory-map
    > and anquet the main contenders here?

    They are main contenders, and I have both, but not the same maps for
    both. The features of the two products are converging and at present I
    think Anquet probably offers the best value if you are only after UK
    map coverage. Memory map comes in an international version that accepts
    maps for other countries.

    Another possibility for UK OS maps is Tracklogs

    <URL:http://www.tracklogs.co.uk/>

    > 3) How do I (and how much does it cost) to connect the unit to a PC
    > for downloading maps?

    You can't download maps, the Geko 201 is not a mapping unit. You can
    download (and upload) waypoints, routes and tracklogs but not digital
    map data.

    > 4) Is the connection to a serial or a USB connection?

    It is a serial connection and requires a serial lead costing about £20.

    Mike <URL:http://www.path.cam.ac.uk/~mrc7/>
    --
    o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
    <\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,

  4. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:30:19 +0100, Simon Mc wrote:

    >I've got a couple of questions for any 201 owners out there...
    >
    >1) Can the unit show your current position in OS map format e.g.SH603586 for
    >Glyders Horseshoe?
    >2) What's the best mapping software to have on the PC end of things? I'd
    >prefer to plan maps on the PC then download them. Are memory-map and anquet
    >the main contenders here?

    There is also Fugawi and something else the name of which escapes me,
    but somebody will mention it. I use Oziexplorer which I got before
    MemoryMap and Anquet did OS maps. Ozi doesn't come with maps, you have
    to get them from elsewhere, but it is probably the most sophisticated
    GPS software. There are other free applications for managing waypoints
    rotes and tracks.

    >3) How do I (and how much does it cost) to connect the unit to a PC for
    >downloading maps?

    The Gekos are plain and simple GPSs. They don't have maps so you can't
    download(upload) a map to them. What you can do is prepare a set of
    waypoints to upload to teh GPS and then look at the map page on the
    display to see your position relative to those waypoints. You can also
    upload a track and have that displayed as well but if you do that I
    think you will not be ab;e to record a track at the same time.

    >4) Is the connection to a serial or a USB connection?

    Serial. But you can get USB to serial converters for your laptop if
    that is all it has.

  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Phil Cook <[email protected]> wrote:

    >You can also
    >upload a track and have that displayed as well but if you do that I
    >think you will not be ab;e to record a track at the same time.

    <snip>
    You can upload, and navigate, a track whilst still recording your
    actual track.