Questions about Le Tour (or any tour for that matter)

NuSkewl

Jul 14, 2012
Hi-there gang! 1st off..., I don't know if I'm posting in the right place. 2nd...., I'm not a professional cyclist AT ALL, but love watching the races on TV. Le Tour is our favorite. I'm curious how some things are done during and after the stages. I'm hoping you can help me w/some answers.

Here's the 1st of many questions (to come):
When the riders raise their arm/hand, how does their team car know they need assistance?

I thank you all in advance for your time & patience. I'm sure some of our questions are very basic, but we're really curious & hope you can help. We're attending the 100th Tour de France next year. We could also use some pointers/tips about where to stand during stages, how early to get there or other forums about that kind of info would be very welcome!!

Originally Posted by NuSkewl .

Hi-there gang! 1st off..., I don't know if I'm posting in the right place. 2nd...., I'm not a professional cyclist AT ALL, but love watching the races on TV. Le Tour is our favorite. I'm curious how some things are done during and after the stages. I'm hoping you can help me w/some answers.

Here's the 1st of many questions (to come):
When the riders raise their arm/hand, how does their team car know they need assistance?

I thank you all in advance for your time & patience. I'm sure some of our questions are very basic, but we're really curious & hope you can help. We're attending the 100th Tour de France next year. We could also use some pointers/tips about where to stand during stages, how early to get there or other forums about that kind of info would be very welcome!!
By raising his arm, his team know he requires assistance.
Also the neutral service car (car with the Mavic motif) will also go to assist a rider if the riders team car cannot get there first.

Thanks Limerick, but if his team car isn't directly behind him, how does the team car know he raised his arm/hand & needs assistance in the 1st place? Is there some sort of relay from the team car directly behind the rider back to the rider's team car?

For example: if the rider needing assistance (refill of fluids in his bottle) is in the lead pack & they're 3+ minutes ahead of the peleton & raises his arm/hand... how does the team car know he needs assistance? Is the team car watching the race coverage on TV while driving? I'm guessing no.

Thanks Limerick, but if his team car isn't directly behind him, how does the team car know he raised his arm/hand & needs assistance in the 1st place? Is there some sort of relay from the team car directly behind the rider back to the rider's team car?

For example: if the rider needing assistance (refill of fluids in his bottle) is in the lead pack & they're 3+ minutes ahead of the peleton & raises his arm/hand... how does the team car know he needs assistance? Is the team car watching the race coverage on TV while driving? I'm guessing no.
Most teams have radio communication between rider and team car.

The team cars usually have TV coverage in their cars too.

The neutral Mavic service car are watching the riders too. And there is "Radio Tour" a TDF radio service as well.
If a rider needs help, he'll be spotted!

OK... today's question is: Can the talk back to the team car/manager when they're racing?

I know the racers can hear the team car/manager. I've noticed that the riders are grabbing their shirts & talking, so I'm guessing they can talk w/the team car/manager. Is this new to le Tour?

OK... today's question is: Can the talk back to the team car/manager when they're racing?

I know the racers can hear the team car/manager. I've noticed that the riders are grabbing their shirts & talking, so I'm guessing they can talk w/the team car/manager. Is this new to le Tour?
Depends on the team. Some teams allow all their riders to communicate with their team car.
Other teams have more limited communication by restricting the number of riders who can communicate with the team car by radio.

Radio communication is a relatively new phenomenon in the sport. It was until the early 2000's that radio communication was approved for races.

Question of the day: does each rider get to choose which brand/style of helmet & which brand/style of shoes he's going to wear?

I'm thinking that riders get used to wearing a specific helmet. I've noticed some teams have the same color/s. Their shoes are moving so fast, I can't tell if teams are wearing the same brand - Ha!

Question of the day: does each rider get to choose which brand/style of helmet & which brand/style of shoes he's going to wear?

I'm thinking that riders get used to wearing a specific helmet. I've noticed some teams have the same color/s. Their shoes are moving so fast, I can't tell if teams are wearing the same brand - Ha!
I'm not sure but I think the days of "fake" badging are over. I think the rider gets to pick within a certain brands lineup - I know Jens Voight was not thrilled with the Toupe and ended up going with a Romin while sponsored by Specialized. I don't believe going with a Selle Italia would have been an option.

danfoz said:
I'm not sure but I think the days of "fake" badging are over. I think the rider gets to pick within a certain brands lineup  - I know Jens Voight was not thrilled with the Toupe and ended up going with a Romin while sponsored by Specialized. I don't believe going with a Selle Italia would have been an option.
Depends on the piece of kit. Frames and saddles aren't really rebadged any more. Tires are rebadged a lot. Shoes......not so much any more. Wheels are being rebadged. A lot of it depends on with whom the team has contracts, with whom the rider has contracts, and how those two mesh together.