Questions about this oldschool shwin

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Donovan1986, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Donovan1986

Donovan1986 New Member

Okay, so, someone stole my bike recently and my pops scored me this oldschool shwinn

http://oldroads.com/yis2.jpg

It was well stored and doesn't have much wrong with it, i've been wanting to do some competitions this summer, could this get the job done? Or would i get STOMPED by better newer bikes? Also, how upgradable are old bikes like this? If i went to a bike shop can i throw a new good seat/road handlebars on???

MORE INFO ON IT Male 12-speed. Chicago Schwinn headbadge. USA 4130 chromoly frame, 23 inches, measured along the seat tube. Shimano components. Downtube shifters. 27 x 1 1/8 tires. Vetta saddle. Sugino cranks.

Tags:

2. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

That Schwinn is around a 1986 or so vintage bike. It is very upgradeable but it could be an expensive undertaking depending upon what upgrades you might want to do. Unless you are already experienced in competitions, chances are you are going to get stomped by more experienced competitors, regardless of what they are riding and what you are riding. Fitness and experience are much more important than equipment. A lighter more responsive bike could give you a little bit of an edge, but without the experience and fitness, you are toast. It happens to almost every newbe competitor, so don't let it get you down if you don't win and get stomped every time you compete in the first couple of years. Just learn and get more fit and you just might be stomping other guys while riding your old Schwinn in several years time.

3. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

......from what kdelong said, you should draw the conclusion that you're best course of action might be to ride the bike until it no longer does what you need it to do. Right now you need conditioning, and that can certainly be done on that bike. You can also do group rides on that bike. While riding that bike and riding with others, you'll get more fit, and you will learn more about bicycles, about what you want in a bike, and what might be better for you. In the interim, you can start saving up for a new(er) bike.

4. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

A male bike, aye. You should put a pair of pants on it so it's pecker isn't flopping around when you're riding out of the saddle. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/duck.gif

It might not be the fanciest bike out there but I'd get some better tires and a saddle thats comfortable. On the upside, should you crash in your first 10 events as a Cat5 racer, repairs won't be all that expensive... Continental Ultrasport tires come in 27x1" and 27x1 1/4"

5. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

What Swampy said...new tires/tubes.

Does it fit you? Too large: not good for racing. Too small: the seat can be raised with a long seat post if needed and the stem swapped for a longer one.

For racing, at a minimum you are going to need toe clips and straps or an upgrade to clipless pedals/shoes.

For flat road races the old Schwinn will work fine. For flat criteriums you can enter on it, but I would suggest an upgrade to a better used wheelset. For hilly stuff, if you're a stud you'll get by as is, but it's really a bit on the heavy side.

I'ld have a go with it after some good tires were fitted and the pedal issue was addressed and see what your results are.

Have fun and keep the rubber side down!