Questions about this road bike (oldschool)

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Donovan1986, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Donovan1986

Donovan1986 New Member

Okay, so, someone stole my bike recently and my pops scored me this oldschool shwinn

http://oldroads.com/yis2.jpg

It was well stored and doesn't have much wrong with it, i've been wanting to do some competitions this summer, could this get the job done? Or would i get STOMPED by better newer bikes?

Also, how upgradable are old bikes like this? If i went to a bike shop can i throw a new good seat/road handlebars on???

MORE INFO ON IT Male 12-speed. Chicago Schwinn headbadge. USA 4130 chromoly frame, 23 inches, measured along the seat tube. Shimano components. Downtube shifters. 27 x 1 1/8 tires. Vetta saddle. Sugino cranks.

Tags:

2. callmejere

callmejere New Member

i don't even know what components you have but i can still tell you that you'd probably get STOMPED.

3. callmejere

callmejere New Member

i didn't see the "MORE INFO ON IT" bit before i posted. still, i don't think that this bike qualifies as a competitive bike in today's market.

4. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Instead of trying to enter competition by exchanging messages and photos of your bike with names on a computer bulletin board, why not find a local club, do some rides with them, and start getting some real guidance? What's holding you back?

5. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

+1. Riding is the key, and for racing it's a big help to ride with others, especially if they're a bit faster than you. Don't worry about the bike for now and people who say you'll get stomped solely because of your bike. A good rider will, uhm, "stomp" others no matter the bike he or she is on. After all, it's the person making the pedals go round that is actually doing the, uhm, stomping.

6. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

I stomped a bunch of guys at my first race who were snickering at me before the start riding a bike quite a bit worse off than yours (yes snickering... we were 15 year olds). Mine was straight up high tensile steel, not even 4130. They were running Campy SR. Alienator and OldBobcat got it right. Legs always do the best talking. And I'll be taking glee in relaying this story till I'm an old man.

The bike may be a bit of a detriment on a climbing course against it's newer lighter CF counterparts, but on a flat course not so much. If you can, maybe find some new rubber hoods for the brake levers. It'll add to your comfort. New tires may make the bike roll a little faster. For handlebars, just make sure they are the old clamp diameter (26.0) and not the newer 31.8. Confirm these numbers at a local bike shop. A new saddle shouldn't be an issue compatibility wise.

Have fun, enjoy the bike, find some good buds to enjoy the ride with. After all the marketing hype, It's a petty simple sport.