Questions about tricycles--the whole map!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by lectraplayer, Aug 16, 2014.

1. lectraplayer

lectraplayer Member

I am working on a tricycle build based on an old Sears delta model. So this thread is going to go all over the map. First question: where do I find parts? I'm looking for a "solid axle" which drives with both tires.

Tags:

2. lectraplayer

lectraplayer Member

I have front brakes now and a Shimano megadrive cassette and adpter on the way. Still looking for rear brakes and that left hub. Oh, it's a 1960's Ted Williams (Sears) that looks based on the JC Higgins bicycle.

3. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

FWIW. I do NOT think that you want a solid axle which simultaneously drives both rear wheels ...
    • UNLESS you figure out how to install the equivalent of a positraction transaxle ... AND/OR, UNLESS you are only planning on toddling along at

4. lectraplayer

lectraplayer Member

It was purchased many years ago as a tricycle from Sears. While I realize a solid rear axle will make it less agile and wear tires, I spend a lot of time spinning my right tire on the push roads I am prone to ride, and at times I wish my left tire was also pushing. Also, some of the load-handling and towing projects I have in mind, even distribution of power to both tires makes more sense to me right now.

5. lectraplayer

lectraplayer Member

What kind of reflective paint is good to use o a bicycle? I'm wanting to paint this one either fire engine red, hunter green, or electric blue to where it looks like regular paint during daylight but it shines of a night when car headlights hit it. Also, has anyone tried that glow in the dark paint? How well does it work?

6. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

A double freehub design, a differential or single-side drive are the preferred layouts for RWD upright adult trikes.

Adopting the proper steering/turning technique is critical to rider survival.

[​IMG]

As you can plainly see, holding your mouth just so is as important to cornering at speed as is hanging off like Reggie Pridmore going full-tilt boogie on a BMW horizontally opposed twin.

7. CAMPYBOB

Paint that really reflects car headlights? Try the stuff with tiny glass balls mixed in.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Paint-your-bike-bicycle-gear-reflective/

It looks fairly normal in daylight and a clear coat smooths the finish considerably while only slightly reducing reflectivity.

Random link to the stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Powder-like-Reflective-Glass-Beads-pound/dp/B008B9VYZ2

If you have a compressor/spray gun rig application is easy.

Several companies offer clear coat with pre-mixed glass reflective beads to go over your color coat.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/building-materials/paint/aerosol/rust-oleum-r1600-system-reflective-finish-aerosol-clear?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CPXh-LLE5cACFTOZMgod718AIg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Glass beads light up light a stop sign when hit with vehicle headlights.

8. CAMPYBOB

9. lectraplayer

lectraplayer Member

It is one of those types of trikes, and riding it on pavement isn't a problem. However, with the ruts and other anomalies on push roads, riding this trike turns more into a bull rodeo.