Questions about upcoming race

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by novice, Mar 26, 2006.

  1. novice

    novice Guest

    Im going to be doing suburban rush in vancouver. it is a duoathatlon. 8
    kms of running and 22 kms of biking. We are supposed to use a mountain
    bike but the trails are almost all very well groomed like ashphalt
    path. I have a hybrid. 2 inch rims, fat tires. steel frame.
    18-speed.Will my bigger tires be an advantage. I know you are not
    allowed to use 10-speeds.

    Tags:

  2. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "novice" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Im going to be doing suburban rush in vancouver. it is a duoathatlon. 8
    > kms of running and 22 kms of biking. We are supposed to use a mountain
    > bike but the trails are almost all very well groomed like ashphalt
    > path. I have a hybrid. 2 inch rims, fat tires. steel frame.
    > 18-speed.Will my bigger tires be an advantage. I know you are not
    > allowed to use 10-speeds.

    If you had a 'cross bike, you would be able to annihilate everyone.

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  3. Scott Gordo

    Scott Gordo Guest

    novice wrote:
    > Im going to be doing suburban rush in vancouver. it is a duoathatlon. 8
    > kms of running and 22 kms of biking. We are supposed to use a mountain
    > bike but the trails are almost all very well groomed like ashphalt
    > path. I have a hybrid. 2 inch rims, fat tires. steel frame.
    > 18-speed.Will my bigger tires be an advantage. I know you are not
    > allowed to use 10-speeds.

    Sounds like your bike will suffice. The bigger wheels/better
    performance thing is a source of controversy. If the trails aren't
    technical with lots of starting/stopping, you should have some
    advantage.

  4. Tom Purvis

    Tom Purvis Guest

    novice wrote:
    >Im going to be doing suburban rush in vancouver. it is a duoathatlon. 8
    >kms of running and 22 kms of biking. We are supposed to use a mountain
    >bike but the trails are almost all very well groomed like ashphalt
    >path. I have a hybrid. 2 inch rims, fat tires. steel frame.
    >18-speed.Will my bigger tires be an advantage.

    Assuming that's a question (try using one of these: ?) fat
    tires are an advantage to the extent that you need them for
    terrain (sand, rocks, etc). If it's as you describe, really
    well-groomed paths, even asphalt, fat tires are distinctly
    a disadvantage.

    When you say your have a hybrid, what do you mean?
    What's the wheel size?

    >I know you are not allowed to use 10-speeds.

    10 speed?!? What, is it 1979? Do you mean "road bike"?

    The only way to get a "10 speed" from parts that are
    available for the last couple decades is to build a one-
    chainring setup with a 10-speed cluster (Shimano 105
    or better, Campy Veloce or better). But nobody would
    do that. Road bikes have not been 10 speeds for 26 years.

    If you can't use a road bike, you can't use a cross bike.
    Depending one what they are allowing or prohibiting, they
    may not allow a "hybrid". You might want to find out what
    specifically is allowed or not allowed.

  5. JD

    JD Guest

    Tom Purvis wrote: