Questions About Wheel Swap

Jim Moore

Dec 14, 2010
Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to this. I have a Specialized Secteur. The guy at the LBS told me that it might be worthwhile to upgrade my wheels. Alexrim S500s came with the bike. I have an 8 speed cassette on the back (is that the right terminology?) I've looked at a couple of wheels on Craigslist. They all say they are for 9-10 speed cassettes. Can I use a wheel like that, or would I have to upgrade a bunch of other stuff at the same time?

As a general note, I'm an OK mechanic and I like to do my own work. I know next to nothing about bikes however. Can you guys recommend a book, something like "How to Take Your Bicycle Apart and Put It Back together"?

8/9/10 speed cassettes all use the same wheel. You do, however, need the wheel hub to be compatible with your cassette. Most hubs are Shimano compatible, but not Campagnolo. So if you have a Shimano cassette, the wheel hub needs to be Shimano compatible.

For books, it's hard to beat "Zinn & the Art of Road Bike Maintenance".

For online instructions, I recommend:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

Originally Posted by Jim Moore .

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to this. I have a Specialized Secteur. The guy at the LBS told me that it might be worthwhile to upgrade my wheels. Alexrim S500s came with the bike. I have an 8 speed cassette on the back (is that the right terminology?) I've looked at a couple of wheels on Craigslist. They all say they are for 9-10 speed cassettes. Can I use a wheel like that, or would I have to upgrade a bunch of other stuff at the same time?

As a general note, I'm an OK mechanic and I like to do my own work. I know next to nothing about bikes however. Can you guys recommend a book, something like "How to Take Your Bicycle Apart and Put It Back together"?
The most important thing in bike 'stuff' is reliability. Save your $, concentrate on the rider, you. Use any excess $ to get a coach. Ride lots. Bike fit, rider fitness, lack of fat on the rider and finesse are the keys to cycling performance, not a set of wheels.

BUT if the wheel is 9/10s compatible, it's 8s compatible also is shimano or sram.

Good info at the Park Tool site as well as some books written by Lennard Zinn.

Reactions: steve
Thanks guys. I'm not planning on updating anything right away (except my fat ass), but I want to have a little info in case something drops into my lap. I'm headed to Amazon to buy a book.

Since I work at a bike shop, it is my job to try to get people to spend their money. But I do also try to tell people (politely and gently) if I think they are wasting their money. A customer who finds out (later) they've been taken for a ride (pun intended), is a customer who will not return.
But if I outline to them their options, their final decision is at least an informed one (and they can't blame me!).

Ask yourself the question: "What would it cost me to replace this bike with the current equivalent if it were stolen or destroyed?". Another subtly different question (provided you're thoroughly interested in the sport) would be: "What am I prepared to spend on my next bike?"

Once you have a ballpark figure in your head you can then start figuring out for yourself whether any upgrade is really worth the outlay compared to the cost of an entire updated bike. Also bear in mind that, within reason, updating an entire bike (including the frame) will provide a different level of performance, whereas upgrading individual components provide, at best, subtle improvements.

I gather that the Specialized Secteur is a relatively current 8 speed roadie. Where I work a bike like that is worth AU$800-1000 (depending on manufacturer). To get a proper wheel upgrade (ie in terms of performance AND durability) on the cheap, you're looking at a set of custom built wheels (from a choice of spokes, rims and hubs) at a cost of around AU$600 minimum (new).

"Upgrading" to a cheap set of fancy spoked proprietary wheels (retailing in the AU$400-700 range), is no upgrade at all. They will either be just as heavy as what you have now (if they were any lighter they'd be more fragile) and they will likely cost you more to service in the future.

To get a proper upgrade with a set of proprietary wheels will cost you around 150+% of what your entire bike is worth. These sorts of wheels are designed for racing and not for everyday riding (and will again bring with them an increased future servicing cost).

In short I don't think you can do much to make your bike faster without spending an inordinate amount of money. The biggest difference will come from your training (as Peter has already said).
But I would only recomend a coach if you need to be motivated (or kicked up the ****) by someone to do your exercise. These days the technical aspects of exercise are well documented, so if you can read, you can coach yourself. Joe Friels The Cyclist's Training Bible. is a good starting point. From here you can get as technical/untechnical as you want. The most important thing to do is to just ride your bike.

Learning to work on your own machine is also a good way to save money and I too would recommend Lennard Zinn's books.

tafi in AU, that is a most-excellent reply. Thank you.

I weight but a fraction of the average man, height for height.

Distance and determination, we should say, make the day its length.