Questions am I overtrained???

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by gwpos, Jan 5, 2012.

1. gwpos

gwpos New Member

I have recently experienced something that has never happened to me...at least not for this long. I race Cat 1 xc mtb and was going into a training block to work on increasing my FTP. Bascally I was followint the "Next level" training plan by Hunter Allen. I was doing 2x20 twice a week and then again on Saturday mixed in with my long 4-5 hour ride in zone 2. Things were going great and after my first 3 week block had a 17 watt increase. I then started my second month block and had worked my way up to 3x20 at 95% FTP and another 10 min at the same effort. I was feeling good and not even feeling any fatigue. Every other day was a recovery day in zone 2 for about 2 hours each day with Mondays or Wednesdays off. Then that when everything started to go bad. The first Saturday of the second month block I went out to do my long endurance ride which started off with a 2x20 session then 3.5 hours of endurance riding. Felt tired afterwards but that was to be expected. On Tuesday I tried to do my 20 min intervals and could only go for 5 min so I shut it down and went home to get another day of recovery in. This went on for the rest of the week.....and the next week to. I was able to get up to 20 min again but at a much, much lower wattage than before. Legs are kind of achy but I am sleeping well and eating well. Heart rate seems ok in the mornings. Right now I am in another rest week and 4 days into it, but somehow feeling like my legs are toasted every now and again throughout the day. So with all of that being said, does it sound like I may have over reached on that long ride of 5 hours or maybe just went straight into overtraining sydrome??

Tags:

2. An old Guy

An old Guy Member

It appears the "next level" training plan it not for you.

---

How does the "next level" training plan compare to what you were doing either just before your started the "next level" plan or last year at this time?

---

It is really hard to be "overtrained."

3. vspa

vspa Active Member

I would be wary of mental condition rather than leg sensations. Overtraining doesn't happen from one week or month to the other, if you train right. You need to review carefully your new training schedule, maybe you need time to get used to it and/or make some adjustments.

4. geneseo

geneseo New Member

are you using wko+ or TP? Check your CTL increase for each week. I've read that long term sustainable increase is in the 3-5 point range. You can start off earlier with a greater increase, but not over the long term. It may be a matter of too much too soon.

My early base this year was after a long layoff. I was trying to get back as much fitness as quickly as possible. So that meant both high volume and moderate/high intensity. my body wasn't ready for it. So I knocked down the volume a bit and kept most of the intensity, and then started to increase again. I am recovering much better now and can handle back-to-back 4-5 hour rides with threshold work. that was unthinkable a couple months ago.

Also, keep track of your sleep. I always underestimated just how important quality sleep is. Again, when first getting back into riding, my body was on overdrive and I was waking up a lot during the night. And due to scheduling, I'd sometimes have to get up early to ride before work. An off night of sleep is okay once, maybe twice a week. But it will quickly throw your training into a downward spiral.