Questions for hitch type bike rack users

I would like to take my bicycle on road trips and have decided on an
Allen Hitch 3-Bike rack which
has many rave reviews on Amazon.com.
I have some questions to those who transport their bikes on hitch
racks.

1. I need to install my hitch rack on a passenger car. I have a 1997
Accord and soon plan to purchase a 2008 Lexus ES350.
Can anyone offer advice on selecting and installing a trailer hitch on
a passenger car? I heard of a device called a Hidden Hitch
which supposedly doesnt make the rear of your car look like a truck.
2. These type of racks with attached bikes block the license plate.
Has anyone been pulled over by highway police
because of this?
3. I plan on buying a Bike Cover to protect my bikes from the elements
when driving and parked overnight.
Have any of you experienced whether covered bikes are more attractive
to curious thieves?
4. Can anyone recommend a specific brand/model of Bike Cover?
5. On a passenger car, do any of find it way too inconvenient to get
access to your trunk with bikes attached?
6. Does you car (not SUV) become too difficult to paralell park when
using a hitch type rack with bikes?

<[email protected]> wrote in message
>I would like to take my bicycle on road trips and have decided on an
> Allen Hitch 3-Bike rack which
> has many rave reviews on Amazon.com.
> I have some questions to those who transport their bikes on hitch
> racks.
>
> 1. I need to install my hitch rack on a passenger car. I have a 1997
> Accord and soon plan to purchase a 2008 Lexus ES350.
> Can anyone offer advice on selecting and installing a trailer hitch on
> a passenger car? I heard of a device called a Hidden Hitch
> which supposedly doesnt make the rear of your car look like a truck.

My Camry doesn't look like a truck. The hitch is under the car a bit and
does not stick out the end.

> 2. These type of racks with attached bikes block the license plate.
> Has anyone been pulled over by highway police
> because of this?

I haven't but it doesn't mean you won't. Don't worry about this.

> 3. I plan on buying a Bike Cover to protect my bikes from the elements
> when driving and parked overnight.
> Have any of you experienced whether covered bikes are more attractive
> to curious thieves?

I don't leave my bikes exposed to thieves. If you cover it up, you can bet
it will attact attention.

> 4. Can anyone recommend a specific brand/model of Bike Cover?
> 5. On a passenger car, do any of find it way too inconvenient to get
> access to your trunk with bikes attached?

Not way too inconvenient.

> 6. Does you car (not SUV) become too difficult to paralell park when
> using a hitch type rack with bikes?

I don't parallel park that much for it to have become an issue.

[email protected] wrote:
> I would like to take my bicycle on road trips and have decided on an
> Allen Hitch 3-Bike rack which
> has many rave reviews on Amazon.com.

It's cheaper at Costco,
"http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11256823", but this is
only for the 2" receiver size.

> I have some questions to those who transport their bikes on hitch
> racks.
>
> 1. I need to install my hitch rack on a passenger car. I have a 1997
> Accord and soon plan to purchase a 2008 Lexus ES350.
> Can anyone offer advice on selecting and installing a trailer hitch on
> a passenger car? I heard of a device called a Hidden Hitch
> which supposedly doesnt make the rear of your car look like a truck.

I've installed one on a non-SUV. Remember that the hitch isn't attaching
to the frame--there is no frame on a unibody construction vehicle.
You're basically installing it on the underside of the floor pan.

Never leave the rack on the hitch when not in use. Even a slight hit to
the hitch will cause thousands of dollars worth of damage to the vehicle.

> 2. These type of racks with attached bikes block the license plate.
> Has anyone been pulled over by highway police
> because of this?

No.

> 3. I plan on buying a Bike Cover to protect my bikes from the elements
> when driving and parked overnight.

This won't protect it from theft. Remember to lock the bikes not just to
the rack, because the rack can be quickly disassembled to get the bikes.

> Have any of you experienced whether covered bikes are more attractive
> to curious thieves?

I haven't experienced it, but usually covered items are less attractive,
because it's too much work to figure out what they are.

> 4. Can anyone recommend a specific brand/model of Bike Cover?
> 5. On a passenger car, do any of find it way too inconvenient to get
> access to your trunk with bikes attached?

No.

> 6. Does you car (not SUV) become too difficult to paralell park when
> using a hitch type rack with bikes?

Straight-in parking is also an issue because you stick out so far.

I can't imagine getting a hitch rack for a low passenger car. They work
well on SUVs with a real frame, where the vehicle is too tall for many
people to deal with roof racks.

For a hitch go to www.etrailer.com. Cheapest around. VERY easy to
install on most vehicles only 4 bolts. Hitch racks really suck
though. I used one for a while and it tilted down but it took too
long to put bikes on . They also swung back and forth. Roof racks
are the best- quick, secure , and look more professional. I dont
think I would leave bikes on any rack OVERNIGHT in a shady area.
unless they were walmart quality.

On Mar 25, 10:59 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> I would like to take my bicycle on road trips and have decided on an
> Allen Hitch 3-Bike rack which
> has many rave reviews on Amazon.com.
> I have some questions to those who transport their bikes on hitch
> racks.
>
> 1. I need to install my hitch rack on a passenger car. I have a 1997
> Accord and soon plan to purchase a 2008 Lexus ES350.
> Can anyone offer advice on selecting and installing a trailer hitch on
> a passenger car? I heard of a device called a Hidden Hitch
> which supposedly doesnt make the rear of your car look like a truck.
> 2. These type of racks with attached bikes block the license plate.
> Has anyone been pulled over by highway police
> because of this?
> 3. I plan on buying a Bike Cover to protect my bikes from the elements
> when driving and parked overnight.
> Have any of you experienced whether covered bikes are more attractive
> to curious thieves?
> 4. Can anyone recommend a specific brand/model of Bike Cover?
> 5. On a passenger car, do any of find it way too inconvenient to get
> access to your trunk with bikes attached?
> 6. Does you car (not SUV) become too difficult to paralell park when
> using a hitch type rack with bikes?

>> 1. I need to install my hitch rack on a passenger car. I have a 1997
>> Accord and soon plan to purchase a 2008 Lexus ES350.
>> Can anyone offer advice on selecting and installing a trailer hitch on
>> a passenger car? I heard of a device called a Hidden Hitch
>> which supposedly doesnt make the rear of your car look like a truck.

I have a Sport Works 2 tray hitch carrier for my bike. I absolutely love it
because it is so versatile. For example, I have carried a lawnmower on it, a
dorm-sized refrigerator still in the box---practically anything that is too
big for the trunk of my Accord. For the trailer hitch, I just went down to a
local company that installs hitches and they let me choose between two of
them. It doesn't stick out much and you will bark your shins on the ball if
you take off the bike carrier....

> Never leave the rack on the hitch when not in use. Even a slight hit to
> the hitch will cause thousands of dollars worth of damage to the vehicle.

I have to stronger disagree with this one. I was rear-ended (without bikes
on the carrier) and the ONLY damage was that the insurance company had to
buy me a new Sport Works rack. They were pretty happy about that and told me
that without the hitch, the entire back end of the car would have had to be
repaired. I can only think this comment about "thousands of dollars worth of
damage" is pure speculation, based on my experience.

> 2. These type of racks with attached bikes block the license plate.
>> Has anyone been pulled over by highway police
>> because of this?

I'm in Texas and have not had any problems with the police about the plate.

>> 3. I plan on buying a Bike Cover to protect my bikes from the elements
>> when driving and parked overnight.

I cannot imagine why you would want to leave your bikes outside, exposed
like that.

> This won't protect it from theft. Remember to lock the bikes not just to
> the rack, because the rack can be quickly disassembled to get the bikes.

Maybe this one he is thinking of buying can be disassembled, but the Sport
Works one is welded together.

>> 6. Does you car (not SUV) become too difficult to paralell park when
>> using a hitch type rack with bikes?

I haven't had the need to parallel park, so I can't tell you.

> Straight-in parking is also an issue because you stick out so far.

You don't stick out too far without bikes on the rack. It hasn't been a
problem. If somebody can get their monstrous SUV in a space, my Accord with
rack fits in easily. Sheesh! Some of those vans have wheelchair racks
mounted on the back. They don't have a problem, either.

> > I can't imagine getting a hitch rack for a low passenger car. They work

> well on SUVs with a real frame, where the vehicle is too tall for many
> people to deal with roof racks.

Oh, now I get it. All of your writing has been speculative. You don't know
anything about this. I do have a Honda Accord with a rear hitch-mounted bike
rack. I can tell you it hasn't been a problem. Sometimes, I lower the rack
to enable me to put something in the truck, but then I raise it back up
again.

Pat in TX

For a hitch go to www.etrailer.com. Cheapest around. VERY easy to
install on most vehicles only 4 bolts. Hitch racks really suck
though. I used one for a while and it tilted down but it took too
long to put bikes on . They also swung back and forth. Roof racks
are the best- quick, secure , and look more professional. I dont
think I would leave bikes on any rack OVERNIGHT in a shady area.
unless they were walmart quality.

Well, then, you didn't use a hitch rack which uses a tray for the bikes'
wheels. It is quick, easy, and very stable. The bikes do not swing around.

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>>> 3. I plan on buying a Bike Cover to protect my bikes from the elements
>>> when driving and parked overnight.

> I cannot imagine why you would want to leave your bikes outside, exposed
> like that.

I take my bikes into the hotel room (or wherever) and take the rack off and
put in it the trunk. Or, I just leave it on the car.
However, I'd not leave a bike on there...too easy to take off.

>> This won't protect it from theft. Remember to lock the bikes not just to
>> the rack, because the rack can be quickly disassembled to get the bikes.

> Maybe this one he is thinking of buying can be disassembled, but the Sport
> Works one is welded together.

I have two hitch racks and they both fold up into a more compact size when
no bike is loaded.

>>> 6. Does you car (not SUV) become too difficult to paralell park when
>>> using a hitch type rack with bikes?

> I haven't had the need to parallel park, so I can't tell you.
>
>> Straight-in parking is also an issue because you stick out so far.

> You don't stick out too far without bikes on the rack. It hasn't been a
> problem. If somebody can get their monstrous SUV in a space, my Accord
> with rack fits in easily. Sheesh! Some of those vans have wheelchair racks
> mounted on the back. They don't have a problem, either.

Right.

>> > I can't imagine getting a hitch rack for a low passenger car. They work

>> well on SUVs with a real frame, where the vehicle is too tall for many
>> people to deal with roof racks.

> Oh, now I get it. All of your writing has been speculative. You don't know
> anything about this. I do have a Honda Accord with a rear hitch-mounted
> bike rack. I can tell you it hasn't been a problem. Sometimes, I lower the
> rack to enable me to put something in the truck, but then I raise it back
> up again.

Same here.

<[email protected]> wrote in message

>For a hitch go to www.etrailer.com. Cheapest around. VERY easy to
>install on most vehicles only 4 bolts. Hitch racks really suck
>though. I used one for a while and it tilted down but it took too
>long to put bikes on . They also swung back and forth. Roof racks
>are the best- quick, secure , and look more professional. I dont
>think I would leave bikes on any rack OVERNIGHT in a shady area.
>unless they were walmart quality.

I beg to differ. A good hitch rack is great...very stable and sturdy. Easy
on/off too.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
>I would like to take my bicycle on road trips and have decided on an
> Allen Hitch 3-Bike rack which
> has many rave reviews on Amazon.com.
> I have some questions to those who transport their bikes on hitch
> racks.

I have the Allen. Light and easy to use.

> 1. I need to install my hitch rack on a passenger car. I have a 1997
> Accord and soon plan to purchase a 2008 Lexus ES350.
> Can anyone offer advice on selecting and installing a trailer hitch on
> a passenger car? I heard of a device called a Hidden Hitch
> which supposedly doesn't make the rear of your car look like a truck.

Get the 1 1/4" hitch, visually much less obtrusive. Allen supports it.

> 2. These type of racks with attached bikes block the license plate.
> Has anyone been pulled over by highway police
> because of this?

No. And I've been lazy and left it on for weeks driving around.

> 3. I plan on buying a Bike Cover to protect my bikes from the elements
> when driving and parked overnight.
> Have any of you experienced whether covered bikes are more attractive
> to curious thieves?
> 4. Can anyone recommend a specific brand/model of Bike Cover?

Never used a bike cover, appropriate size hefties cover bike seat and
handlebar section in the rain. I run a big cable and lock through the rack
and bike.

> 5. On a passenger car, do any of find it way too inconvenient to get
> access to your trunk with bikes attached?

Minivan. Not applicable.

> 6. Does you car (not SUV) become too difficult to paralell park when
> using a hitch type rack with bikes?

Minivan. not a problem.

Pat wrote:

> I have to stronger disagree with this one. I was rear-ended (without bikes
> on the carrier) and the ONLY damage was that the insurance company had to
> buy me a new Sport Works rack. They were pretty happy about that and told me
> that without the hitch, the entire back end of the car would have had to be
> repaired. I can only think this comment about "thousands of dollars worth of
> damage" is pure speculation, based on my experience.

Unfortunately it isn't speculation. It happened to me on a Honda CR-V. I
was hit from behind. The bumper took none of the impact because the
other vehicle hit the rack. The rack transferred the force to the floor
pan, which was damaged beyond repair and had to be replaced at more than
$2000. Ironically the rack was not damaged.

> You don't stick out too far without bikes on the rack.

This is true, provided the rack arms fold down.

> Oh, now I get it. All of your writing has been speculative. You don't know
> anything about this. I do have a Honda Accord with a rear hitch-mounted bike
> rack. I can tell you it hasn't been a problem. Sometimes, I lower the rack
> to enable me to put something in the truck, but then I raise it back up
> again.

Oh please, you don't "get" anything, you're simply clueless. I have both
types of rack. Currently I use a Performance Xport 4 bicycle hitch rack
used on an SUV with a frame mounted hitch
("http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=22746"). I also
have Thule crossbars for a Camry, and four bike mounts, as well as a
tandem mount (which can't be on a hitch rack without sticking too far
out to the side). Each type of rack has its pros and cons. The roof rack
adds wind noise and wind resistance, and you have to be aware of low
branches, low parking garages, and even some low overpasses. The hitch
rack sticks far out behind the vehicle, subjects both the vehicle and
the bicycles to more risk from damage in a collision, and should be
removed when not in use.

It's always amusing to see someone desperately defend something they
purchased by failing to acknowledge the trade-offs present in any
product, and then getting angry when someone else points them out.

For those actually interested in learning something, I have taken some
excerpts from my web page on rack selection.

Issues with Hitch Racks
-----------------------

Rear End Collisions
-------------------
When the hitch rack is installed on your vehicle the bumper is not
functional. If someone bumps into the back of your vehicle, with the
rack installed, it can cause thousands of dollars worth of damage even
if it is only a very low speed collision. I speak from personal
experience here. Someone ran into the back of my car hitting the hitch
rack. The hitch rack pushed a hole up through the floor of the car
causing nearly $3000 of damage. Had the rack not been installed I
probably would have only needed a new bumper cover at a cost of about
$300. Remove your hitch rack when not in use!

Non-folding arms stick out too far
----------------------------------
This is an issue only with racks whose arms don't fold down. On racks
with folding arms you should take the time to fold them when parking
with the rack still on the car.

Bicycle Damage
--------------
If someone rear-ends your car then all of the bikes will probably be a
total loss.

Width (only an issue with horizontal tandem racks)
The tandem can be wider than the vehicle on the horizontal tandem racks.
You probably will want to remove the front wheel to save a foot or so.
Just be careful not to hit anything with the bike (including other cars
on either side of you on a multi-lane road).

Exhaust Pipes
-------------
Be certain that hot exhaust is not blowing directly on the bicycle. This
is a common problem if the bikes are installed onto the rack
incorrectly. If the bike is such that one wheel is lower on the rack
then put the bike on so the lower wheel is on the side of the car
without the exhaust pipe.

Ground Clearance
----------------
Be sure that the bicycles are high enough off the ground (the wheels
shouldn't be lower than the bumper). If the rear wheels went into a
shallow dip or over a high speed bump, the wheels could hit the ground
and be damaged. This is usually not a problem, but some hitch racks have
height adjustable masts and if the mast is adjusted too low then the
bike wheels could be too low.

What to Look for in a Hitch Rack
--------------------------------
Spread. If the rack holds the top tube with two arms, how far apart are
the arms? You want them far apart enough to provide good support, but
close together enough so that short frame bicycles can be carried. Avoid
hitch racks where the frame is held by a narrow clamp of six inches or
less; they have compromised the design to avoid the cost of two separate
arms.

Do the arms fold? When you park, or if you keep the rack attached all
the time (a bad idea), you'll want to be able to not have the arm(s)
sticking several feet out toward the back of your vehicle. An injury
could invite a nasty lawsuit. Thule's, Rhodegear's Interstate series,
and Yakima's RimRoc all have folding arms.

Rear access. Does the rack fold down or pivot out far enough for you to
open the back of your van or SUV. The more expensive racks that pivot
let you gain access to the rear even with bicycles on the rack while the
fold down racks require that you remove the bicycles first. The cheapest
ones neither pivot or fold down.

Spare tire clearance. If you have a vehicle with a spare tire mounted on
the back be sure that the rack clears it.

Wobble. If you use a standard hitch pin to secure the rack then it will
wobble and rattle. There are several systems designed to eliminate
wobble, from a collar with set screws to the use of a threaded bolt that
secures the rack to the hitch rather than a pin.

Hold Downs. Some of the cheaper racks just have some hooks, you have to
use bungee cords or other tie-downs to hold the bike. The better ones
have cushioned rubber pads with straps. Unfortunately the only ones that
have integral locking are the poorly designed single arm racks; with the
others you have to use a cable lock.

Security. How is the rack locked to the hitch? How are the bikes locked
to the rack? The advantage of the single arm racks with a solid mounting
hold down plate over the top tube is that it it make the rack lockable,
but the disadvantage of the single arm rack is so great that I would not
use one just for this reason; you can just use a heavy cable lock.

Swinging. On the racks that hold the bike by the top tube, the bike can
swing back and forth while on the car. Some of the more expensive top
tube mount racks have a bottom support bar sticking out down near the
wheels for you to secure the bottom of the bike.

Removeability. How fast and easy is it to remove the whole rack? Some
of the RhodeGear racks are easy to partially remove but they leave the
base sticking out beyond the bumper which is a very bad idea.

Storeability. How easy is it to store. The racks with arms that don't
fold down, and/or masts that don't fold, are a pain to store because you
can't store them flat. The pivoting masts are also a pain to store, but
you gain the advantage of easier access to the rear of the vehicle.

Odd frames and Children's Frames. A lot of the hitch racks that hold the
bikes by the top tube have a problem with odd frames, mixte ("ladies")
frames, and children's frames. The racks that hold the bike by the
wheels and crankarm will be easier to use with these. There are
attachments to create a fake top-tube to use the top tube racks with
mixte frames. On the top tube racks with dual arms you may be able to
put children's bikes on them by hanging the bike by the wheels.

Other accessories. Many hitch racks have attachments available for skis.

Weeding out the Junk and Making an Intelligent Choice
The reality is that most of the hitch racks are not well designed and
it's easy to weed out the bad ones. IMVAIO, on the hitch racks with top
tube mounts you should look for:

* Dual fold-down arms
* Pivot-out or fold-down mast
* Anti-wobble device included
* Integral locking of the rack to the hitch
* Rubber Hold-downs with straps that don't come off to lose
* Bottom support bar to prevent bikes from swinging
* Comes with bicycle locking mechanism (standard)

Also look at the hitch racks where the bicycles don't hang from arms,
but sit in wheel trays.

Issues with Roof Racks

Height
------
With a roof rack you need to be very careful about where you drive. Of
course you can't drive into your garage with your bike on the roof
(though many people have done this). You also need to watch out for
parking garages, trees with low branches, car washes, fast food
drive-throughs with awnings, etc. Someone e-mailed me saying that
'everyone' with a roof rack has driven under an overhang or into a
garage with the bikes on the roof. Knock on wood, but in twenty years of
using roof racks I've never done this.

Spread
------
The crossbars need to be a minimum distance a part to carry some longer
items like tandem bicycles. There are ways to get around the minimum (a
little anyway) that I've seen (but there are no guarantees of the wisdom
of doing this). It isn't just the length restriction for the
attachments, it's how secure the rack is held onto the roof when the
crossbars are close together. If the restriction is due only to the
distance between the crossbars then you can often reinforce the
attachment. For example, on bike mounts where the short roofline causes
the wheel tray to extend too far, you could reinforce the wheel tray
with aluminum angle which eliminates the flex (the tray is made of thin
stamped steel) and adds support. Check http://www.onlinemetals.com for
aluminum angle. Doing this sort of thing is entirely at your own risk.

Wind Resistance
---------------
Roof racks, even when they are empty, create a lot of wind resistance.
There will be a measurable, non-trivial, reduction in fuel economy with
a roof rack.

Wind Noise
----------
Since a roof rack and its accessories are not smooth, the wind going
across them will create noise. Sometimes pieces of the rack will go into
oscillation causing hum. A fairing can be used to direct air over the
rack but the fairings are often incompatible with the other accessories.

Lateral Forces
--------------
High cross winds can exert tremendous forces on roof rack accessories.
Ensure that your rack is securely mounted to the vehicle. Sometimes
crossbars are attached to the vehicle's roof rack mounts, which are only
screwed into the roof with sheet metal screws. Bicycles in fork mounts
are putting a lot of stress on the fork dropouts. Be sure that the
clamps that secure the dropouts are very tight and that they can't pop open.

Headset Bearing Fretting
------------------------
When the vehicle is in motion shock from the road is transmitted up to
the roof rack. When a bicycle is clamped by the fork, into a fork mount,
the fork and headset are held rigidly in place. As the vehicle goes down
the road the headset will be constantly absorbing small shocks. This
would not be a problem if the headset were also turning, because the
lubricant inside would be distributed by the rolling of the bearings.
But the headset is not turning and therein lies the problem. From:
http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/128.html: "The damage occurs when
these small motions occur when there are no steering motions to
replenish lubricant while the bearing balls fret in place. Fretting
breaks down the lubricant film on which the balls normally roll and
without which they weld to the races and tear out tiny particles." This
was written by Jobst Brandt, a well known and well respected engineer
and author of _The Bicycle Wheel_.

On upright mounts the wheels are absorbing the shock from the road but
on fork mounts the shock is being absorbed by the headset though it is
unknown how much extra wear occurs because of fretting. For obvious
reasons some people claim that the extra wear is trivial, though they
have no way of quantifying it.

Bugs
----
Enough said.

Wind and Lubrication
--------------------
Jay Hardcastle wrote: "The biggest risk to bike on a roof rack (aside
from overhangs) is the wind forcing moisture in and lubricants out.
(Handlebar tape and saddles also take a beating.) A Lycra or Neoprene
transport cover (bike bra, or Xport) can help with either; plus no bugs
to clean-off!" This is good advice.

[email protected] wrote:
> For a hitch go to www.etrailer.com. Cheapest around. VERY easy to
> install on most vehicles only 4 bolts. Hitch racks really suck
> though. I used one for a while and it tilted down but it took too
> long to put bikes on . They also swung back and forth.

There are good hitch racks and bad hitch racks. The best ones are the
ones with trays for the wheels. The bikes don't get damaged by hitting
each other, they don't swing, and it's pretty fast to put the bikes on.
I.e. "http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=22746".

Also, some of the hitch racks where the bikes hang from the frame have a
lower tube where you fasten the bike so they don't swing.

The original poster wants to carry three bicycles, on a Lexus ES350
which complicates things because you're much more limited in hitch racks
that will work on vehicles with unibody construction that only take
1.25" hitches (class 1 or class 2). The hitch racks that use wheel trays
are heavier and extend further out from the vehicle. I've only seen two
bicycle models of these for 1.25" hitches.

> Roof racks
> are the best- quick, secure , and look more professional.

True. The only real issue I have with roof racks is that on a tall
vehicle you often need to carry a step stool. Putting a tandem on top of
my SUV is always an adventure.

> I dont
> think I would leave bikes on any rack OVERNIGHT in a shady area.
> unless they were walmart quality.

This is true, but a roof rack is probably more secure, once you do some
creative locking to the rack and to the vehicle. It's just a lot of
trouble and very conspicuous to be on top of a vehicle trying to cut
cables and locks.

[email protected] wrote:
> For a hitch go to www.etrailer.com. Cheapest around. VERY easy to
> install on most vehicles only 4 bolts. Hitch racks really suck
> though. I used one for a while and it tilted down but it took too
> long to put bikes on . They also swung back and forth. Roof racks
> are the best- quick, secure , and look more professional. I dont
> think I would leave bikes on any rack OVERNIGHT in a shady area.
> unless they were walmart quality.

I got good service from www.etrailer.com, too. They're a good choice if
you are willing to do your own installation.

I'm trying the hitch rack option because I don't like my nice bike
getting sandblasted when I put it on the roof rack, and I'm hoping that
I can pop the hitch rack on and off faster than I can the roof rack.
Roof racks also affect fuel consumption at freeway speeds. One of my
bikes has fenders so doesn't lend itself to the roof rack approach. I'm
keeping the roof rack, though, I'm not convinced that any one rack is
the perfect solution. I picked up a Yakima hitch rack on sale at REI, I
haven't had an opportunity to try it.

mark wrote:

> I'm trying the hitch rack option because I don't like my nice bike
> getting sandblasted when I put it on the roof rack, and I'm hoping that
> I can pop the hitch rack on and off faster than I can the roof rack.
> Roof racks also affect fuel consumption at freeway speeds. One of my
> bikes has fenders so doesn't lend itself to the roof rack approach. I'm
> keeping the roof rack, though, I'm not convinced that any one rack is
> the perfect solution. I picked up a Yakima hitch rack on sale at REI, I
> haven't had an opportunity to try it.

Fenders aren't really an issue if you get the upright mount rather than
the fork mount, and the upright mount is much better in other ways as well.

I've found the hitch racks where the wheels sit in trays to be far
better than the hitch racks where the bikes hang from arms, in terms of
how fast they can be loaded, the different frame types that can be
carried, and in the least damage to the bicycle (bikes are separated and
don't bang against each other. However that type of rack is heavy,
extends further back, and doesn't fold up against the vehicle when not
in use.

">
>> I have to stronger disagree with this one. I was rear-ended (without
>> bikes on the carrier) and the ONLY damage was that the insurance company
>> had to buy me a new Sport Works rack. They were pretty happy about that
>> and told me that without the hitch, the entire back end of the car would
>> have had to be repaired. I can only think this comment about "thousands
>> of dollars worth of damage" is pure speculation, based on my experience.

> Unfortunately it isn't speculation. It happened to me on a Honda CR-V. I
> was hit from behind. The bumper took none of the impact because the other
> vehicle hit the rack. The rack transferred the force to the floor pan,
> which was damaged beyond repair and had to be replaced at more than $2000.
> Ironically the rack was not damaged.

BUT--the OP has a Honda Accord! That's the same car I have, NOT the car you
have. Go out and have a look at a CR-V and an Accord. Surely, you can see
the difference!

>> Oh, now I get it. All of your writing has been speculative. You don't
>> know anything about this. I do have a Honda Accord with a rear
>> hitch-mounted bike rack. I can tell you it hasn't been a problem.
>> Sometimes, I lower the rack to enable me to put something in the truck,
>> but then I raise it back up again.

> Oh please, you don't "get" anything, you're simply clueless. I have both
> types of rack. Currently I use a Performance Xport 4 bicycle hitch rack
> used on an SUV with a frame mounted hitch
> ("http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=22746"). I also have
> Thule crossbars for a Camry, and four bike mounts, as well as a tandem
> mount (which can't be on a hitch rack without sticking too far out to the
> side). Each type of rack has its pros and cons. The roof rack adds wind
> noise and wind resistance, and you have to be aware of low branches, low
> parking garages, and even some low overpasses. The hitch rack sticks far
> out behind the vehicle, subjects both the vehicle and the bicycles to more
> risk from damage in a collision, and should be removed when not in use.

First, you tell the guy not to get a hitch rack because you mounted one on a
Honda CR-V, and now you say I'm "clueless" because I have mounted one on an
Accord with great success and NO PROBLEMS. Not problems with parking lots or
getting rear-ended or anything. You are the clueless one!

> It's always amusing to see someone desperately defend something they
> purchased by failing to acknowledge the trade-offs present in any product,
> and then getting angry when someone else points them out.

There have been no trade-offs. I was in a collision and ONLY the hitch rack
was damaged. How is that "desperately defending something" etc etc? I can
park in a parking lot without the rack "sticking far out behind the vehicle"
with no problems whatsoever. What IS amusing to me is your "don't you dare
contradict me! attitude. You have such a huge chip on your shoulder!

On Mar 26, 1:21 pm, "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote:
snip

> There have been no trade-offs. I was in a collision and ONLY the hitch rack
> was damaged. How is that "desperately defending something" etc etc? I can
> park in a parking lot without the rack "sticking far out behind the vehicle"
> with no problems whatsoever.  What IS amusing to me is your "don't you dare
> contradict me! attitude. You have such a huge chip on your shoulder!

If the hitch mounted rack has horizontal bars sticking out behind it,
then it is a danger in a parking lot, no matter how far they stick out
behind. My son and I were walking through a parking lot recently,
right around dusk, to one side of the drive for cars to avoid being
hit. There was a car with a hitch mount and the bars stuck out right
at a height just above my son's eye - I was fortunate to see it just
in time and get my hand up to his head so his head hit my hand against
the rack rather than directly. Better the small cut to my hand that I
got than for him to smash his head into it as would have happened if I
hadn't seen it at the last second. Very dangerous to leave them
sticking out, especially at night/twilight, but even in daylight a
person might miss the bars.

Rick

Rick wrote:

> If the hitch mounted rack has horizontal bars sticking out behind it,
> then it is a danger in a parking lot, no matter how far they stick out
> behind. My son and I were walking through a parking lot recently,
> right around dusk, to one side of the drive for cars to avoid being
> hit. There was a car with a hitch mount and the bars stuck out right
> at a height just above my son's eye - I was fortunate to see it just
> in time and get my hand up to his head so his head hit my hand against
> the rack rather than directly. Better the small cut to my hand that I
> got than for him to smash his head into it as would have happened if I
> hadn't seen it at the last second. Very dangerous to leave them
> sticking out, especially at night/twilight, but even in daylight a
> person might miss the bars.

You should always lower the horizontal bars when the vehicle is parked,
and never buy a rack that has non-lowering bars. I've walked into those
before in the dark. Ouch. A child walking into one could hit their head
rather than an arm or torso.

What I usually do now is to back into a parking space when I have the
hitch rack on the car without bikes, because the tray mount hitch rack I
have doesn't fold up, and it's quite long because it's a four bike
model. If there are no big spaces, then I park in the outer-reaches of
the parking lot where it's okay to take up two facing spaces. Often at
motels I can back in to spaces next to the building with the bikes
extending over the parking stone into an area with grass or rock that
separates the parking area from the building.

While Pat may have not had damage caused by someone hitting the rack,
she needs to understand that though it may be hard to accept, the world
doesn't revolve solely around her own experiences. Hitch racks mounted
to a hitch that is attached to the floor of unibody vehicles will
transfer the impact of a collision to the underbody, with the bumper
absorbing none of the impact. This is what happened to me. At first I
thought there was no damage at all to my Honda, then when I looked
closer I saw that the floor was damaged (bent, with a hole poked through
where the hitch was mounted). It was nearly $3000 worth of damage.

It's important to understand the trade-offs of different products,
without getting so wrapped up in defending your own purchasing decision
that you ignore the facts. Pat should be doing some more research before
promulgating misinformation.

"SMS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
>> I would like to take my bicycle on road trips and have decided on an
>> Allen Hitch 3-Bike rack which
>> has many rave reviews on Amazon.com.

> It's cheaper at Costco,
> "http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11256823", but this is
> only for the 2" receiver size.

Thanks, just bought it there for $86, including S&H.

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:46:46 -0700, SMS <[email protected]>
wrote:
>The original poster wants to carry three bicycles, on a Lexus ES350
>which complicates things because you're much more limited in hitch racks
>that will work on vehicles with unibody construction that only take
>1.25" hitches (class 1 or class 2). The hitch racks that use wheel trays
>are heavier and extend further out from the vehicle. I've only seen two
>bicycle models of these for 1.25" hitches.

If you ask around, you can get a 2" hitch on practically anything.
I've got one on a Toyota Prius -- I wouldn't tow ANYTHING with that
car, but it carries the hitch rack quite well.

It's a bugger on gas mileage, though.

Pat

Email address works as is.

Patrick Lamb wrote:

> If you ask around, you can get a 2" hitch on practically anything.
> I've got one on a Toyota Prius -- I wouldn't tow ANYTHING with that
> car, but it carries the hitch rack quite well.

I worry more about the tongue weight. On my 4 bicycle hitch rack that
uses wheel trays, it's at least 150 pounds loaded with four bicycles. It
causes the rear end to go down a bit on a truck-based SUV, I imagine
that on a Prius it would have even more of an effect.