Questions from a cycling newbie

wyzegurl

Mar 29, 2004
I have been recreationally biking for several years (15-30 miles per ride) and would like to step it up a level. I will mostly be riding along the Chicago lakefront and occasionally on trails, but I'd also like to try a longer weekend ride (100 - 150 miles) and would be interested in some of the longer cross country rides (maybe across Ohio or something?).
I was wondering what kind of bike(s) I should invest in and how to shop for bikes. I would also love recommendations for longer rides/trails to try out or cycling groups in the Chicago area.
Thanks!

What brands are at your lbs? Is there a shop you trust and like? If so,go in and talk to them without talking about money yet.

Originally posted by wyzegurl
...but I'd also like to try a longer weekend ride (100 - 150 miles) and would be interested in some of the longer cross country rides (maybe across Ohio or something?).
I was wondering what kind of bike(s) I should invest in and how to shop for bikes. I would also love recommendations for longer rides/trails to try out or cycling groups in the Chicago area.
Thanks!

Hello there. Lots of these considerations depend on (aside from your budget) your personal groove, and riding style. Do you have a particular interest in heading off paved trails and roads? Judging by your intention to tackle longer and longer rides, I'd say your focus lies in road touring rather than dirt.

Assuming you don't have an interest in agressive road riding -- stuff like heavy training, climbing, faster club rides and possible racing -- a dedicated touring bike could really be the ticket. Most bike manufacturers offer touring models, which differ from more race/training oriented bikes in a few key respects. They tend to offer a slightly upright riding position compared to race bikes, and longer wheelbases for stability; typical practical differences include mounts for panniers/bags, and brake varieties more traditionally found on mountain bikes (some newer touring bikes even come fashioned with disc brakes). The total package is one geared a bit more towards long-distance travel than sprints and steep climbs. Whether you're corssing Ohio or not, though, they're a pleasant way to cover any 50 miles, and much more efficient than hybrid or mountain bikes.

Though aluminum touring bikes are becoming more common, the ride and performance qualities generally associated with steel tubing (at a slight weight penalty) make it the continuing standard for touring rigs.

Again, most of the big-name, readily available manufacturers offer solid touring bikes; Trek, Giant, and Cannondale all sell decent ones. If you're really serious about touring bikes, check out Rivendell -- no one has made quite as serious and gorgeous a science out of the non-racing road bike as these guys.

Good luck!
Rivendell

eh rivendell makes cool bikes, but their site is kinda annoying too. i mean pick any section and read it and its frustratingly inconsistant to justify their philisophy.

Originally posted by fushman
eh rivendell makes cool bikes, but their site is kinda annoying too. i mean pick any section and read it and its frustratingly inconsistant to justify their philisophy.
I kind of like their manifestos. Totally revisionist. If there are inconsistencies in Rivendell's texts, they're likely the result of the shop trying not to appear uncompromising -- common sense kind of flexibility. "Our bikes are steel and they're a touch heavy, and the heaviness of your frame will depend on your needs -- but we won't call you a fat moron if you beg us for a light Rivendell. We'll try," and so on.

I don't agree with them across the board (I'm not putting mustache bars on my Giant) but I like their ideas as far as touring bikes are concerned.

Anyways, if I had another $2500 to spend on a bike, I'd buy a Rivendell. Unfortunately, I don't.

:(

I really prefer the older Trek (520/720) touring bikes with Reynolds 531 tubing. Keep an eye on Ebay, you'll find there are many that go through there a month.

Another option I took was an older racing style road bike, like an english raleigh with Reynolds 531 tubing. One of those from the early - mid 70's would have great geometry and wheelbase for touring or fast riding.

I was lucky enough to pick up a nos Holdsworth 531 frame a guy had in his basement for 30+ years without a single component touching it. I got the rear widened, cantilever bosses, and some extra bottle bosses welded to it - fitted it up and rode it across Canada loaded to the 't'.

I think you can get a new Fuji touring bike with Reynolds 531--- a brand that is known for touring bikes