Questions from a new rider.

wayde is a pirate

Guest
I started riding a few months ago and i have some questions. I learned
on my roommates 24" Torker LX and I just got my 26" Torker LX in the
mail tuesday. I like riding muni and around town, hopping up curbs and
stuff, which leads me to my first question:

My axle (I think it's my axle) is already bending a little, from
hopping I would assume. Is it possible to upgrade to a better axle, or
did I just buy a crappy uni.

Also whenever I ride, my pants always rub against my groin and it gets
really sore. Any recomendations? Different underwear? New seat?

And last, will I still be able to have kids, or does unicycling blow my
chances out of the water.

Any advice would be awesome.

Thanks
-Wayde

--
wayde is a pirate
wayde is a pirate's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12064

I've been learning on my 24" torker Lx... The lx series has a pretty
good rep, I'm surprised to hear the axel is breaking... I believe you
can replace it.

Now, being female I don't have the same issue as you, but I would think
that wearing cycling shorts would help. They have a well padded crotch,
and you can wear them under your shorts so you don't look silly.

-Carolyn

--
Carolyn
Carolyn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11436

exactly about the shorts as carolyn said. I actually bought two pair of
shorts that look like baggy shorts, but have the pads sewn in as well.

I'd be surprised that the axle is bending already, you haven't done
near enough on it to break it... it's renowned as a good starter uni.

p.s.-- Ninjas are better than pirates.

--
abbabibble

Cheers, Matt.
'NEW, \"Ninjas. Unicycles. Yeah.\" Shirts are out! BUY NOW AT
ZAZZLE.com!' (http://tinyurl.com/954wy)
*"Water. Duck's back. Yeah."* -- GILD
Habbywall, that-a-way -------------->':cool:'
(http://www.nickjantz.2ya.com) Kristine is that-a-way, too.
----------->X
*"LX seats are as comfortable as bricks."* lildude2 *PANIC
BUTTON-->':eek: ' (http://www.geocities.com/abbabibble/mrtsb.html)*
abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

I don't mean this in the offensive sense, but how much do you weigh?

Something else to take into consideration is that the 26" LX has 170mm
cranks, so it takes less force to bend the axle with those as opposed
to the 125mm cranks on a 20" LX.

--
Spudman

under construction
Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752

I too weigh 170 =p

With the longer cranks, it will be easier to bend, specially with out
them being splined.

The axle\hubs arnt universal, there are many different kinds, IMO, the
KH hubs are the best, but profiles are really good too =p then most
cotterless hubs (square-tappered) are pretty much the same, except some
can be somewhat better, but not too much, for a strong hub, splined is
the best way to go =p

--
Jerrick

'MRIS!!!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)

Kristine wrote:
> how is that not in anyone's sig yet?

nope, you can just buy new cranks, or a new hub, depends what brakes,
for everything (most of the time) you only need to replace what broke,
in some cases you do need to buy a new hub\crank set, but usally its
one or the other =p

--
Jerrick

'MRIS!!!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)

Kristine wrote:
> how is that not in anyone's sig yet?

im pretty sure you can still have children cause con tray to popular
myth the semen is created somewhere other that the testes(hey
gild/gilby im using the corect terms here) and the testes are just
there to create testostorne or atleast thats what my dad said

--
dan de man

dan de man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11403

dan de man wrote:
> im pretty sure you can still have children cause con tray to popular
> myth the semen is created somewhere other that the testes(hey
> gild/gilby im using the corect terms here) and the testes are just
> there to create testostorne or atleast thats what my dad said

I think your dad is pulling your leg mate!

Unicycling has pretty much killed my chances of having kids! Lol! I
crushed my balls soo much when i was learning. Now i only crush them on
high drops when i land wrong!

Rock on!
Edd

--
Eddbmxdude

Its like England here....Iv never seen so much sun!

"Its not that far up really" Zippy, on climbing up snowdon.

"How about not equating death with stopping?" - Alanis Morissette
Eddbmxdude's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11584

yeah i thoght some thing was up when he was telling me

--
dan de man

James_Potter wrote:
> Each end has to eat. What goes in one end, comes out the other.
> Therefore, whatever end A eats, let's call him Fred, what Fred eats has
> to come out of side 2, let's call him Charlie. Whatever Charlie eats
> must come out of Fred.
>
> It's gruesome, I know. But the truth hurts sometimes.

dan de man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11403

The LX is probably not intended to be a heavy-duty MUni. I would vote
that it is probably a combination of the big wheel, long cranks, your
weight and the hopping that is bending your axle.

As for the chafing..."real" bicycle shorts are expensive. I find the
chafing happens when you sweat. For everyday riding I wear
"compression shorts". They are cheaper, tight fitting, spandex type of
material and do not have the extra padding. Rubbing takes place between
my outer shorts (usually cotton cargo shorts) and the compression
shorts instead of against my skin. Look for compression shorts in the
sporting goods department of your local discount store, usually next to
the athletic supporters.

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
Wheel Rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10656

Unicycles don't have separate axles and hubs like bikes do. You can
replace the hub, but it means rebuilding the wheel.

I think it is unexpected that a Torker LX hub would be bending just
from hopping curbs, even with beginner's technique. The component I
would most expect to fail would be the cranks; is perhaps the crank
itself bent?

--
tholub

yea i have foolishly taken my lx hopping down steps and nothing is bent
or broken...a defect mabye but there may be many factors 2 the
bendation....i took mine on muni but noithing super rocky.. as far and
the kids thing....yes your balls can get hurt from unicycling if you
mess up but i have never heard of any one going sterile or any thing
like that

as for chafing i dont have as much problems with hit unles i wear
shorts...if i wear long pants i never have trouble

if your going 2 buy a new hub for the lx i dont think you need splined
as i think some one else said i dont think its worth puting a splined
hub on a lx but im not an athority either

i guess you could call up unicycle.com about it and see what they
recomend they are pretty nice and cool

hope i helped

warren

--
dorfman

I BROKE MY FIBULA!
my unicycles are like my imaginary friends that every one can see.
i am Amandas NO.2 fan!
my myspace
http://tinyurl.com/s6dct
dorfman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10880

i think you can still have kids but they may end up like your boys
will...deformed! but seriously, crushing your balls wont make you not
have kinds it will just hurt for a while. and about the cranksa nd hub,
if its bending already then take it easy on them or if you have the
money, upgrade.

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !
[image: http://tinyurl.com/qz2fv ]

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR

wayde is a pirate wrote:

> And last, will I still be able to have kids, or does unicycling blow my
> chances out of the water.
>
> Any advice would be awesome.
>
> Thanks
> -Wayde

well, i'ld say yes. unless you can meet a girl who also rides.
somehow i doubt the uni makes the same impression on females as say a
white '06 cadalac escalade with 26" chrome spinners (not that i would
trade my torker for a gas guzzler like that anyday, but at least i'm
out of the denial stages.)

--
joshuni

president of the norml uni sect
"canadaneesses (ka-nA-dan-E-cez) are cool, if you think otherwise then
go sit on a trout and spin. when you reach the tail, the ride is
over." -me 'cause FHM took a shot at the homies. (canada, please give
me citizenship to your fine country)
joshuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11670

update: today i tried hopping with my feet switched around to see if
the cranks woud re-align and they did, then i hopped regular and they
went back, so i think it is the cranks and not the axle, which is good
because i dont want to rebuild the whole wheel.

also, i rode about 4 miles today wearing softer cotton pants rather
than jeans, and the chaffing wasn't nearly as bad. maybe i'll invest
in a pair of those compression shorts.

joshuni wrote:
> well, i'ld say yes. unless you can meet a girl who also rides. somehow
> i doubt the uni makes the same impression on females as say a white '06
> cadalac escalade with 26" chrome spinners (not that i would trade my
> torker for a gas guzzler like that anyday, but at least i'm out of the
> denial stages.)

so the problem isn't destroying my reproductive organs. thats good
news.

thanks for all the advice everyone.

-wayde