Questions from a new rider.

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by wayde is a pirate, Apr 20, 2006.

  1. I started riding a few months ago and i have some questions. I learned
    on my roommates 24" Torker LX and I just got my 26" Torker LX in the
    mail tuesday. I like riding muni and around town, hopping up curbs and
    stuff, which leads me to my first question:

    My axle (I think it's my axle) is already bending a little, from
    hopping I would assume. Is it possible to upgrade to a better axle, or
    did I just buy a crappy uni.

    Also whenever I ride, my pants always rub against my groin and it gets
    really sore. Any recomendations? Different underwear? New seat?

    And last, will I still be able to have kids, or does unicycling blow my
    chances out of the water.

    Any advice would be awesome.

    Thanks
    -Wayde

    --
    wayde is a pirate
    wayde is a pirate's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12064

  2. Carolyn

    Carolyn Guest

    I've been learning on my 24" torker Lx... The lx series has a pretty
    good rep, I'm surprised to hear the axel is breaking... I believe you
    can replace it.

    Now, being female I don't have the same issue as you, but I would think
    that wearing cycling shorts would help. They have a well padded crotch,
    and you can wear them under your shorts so you don't look silly.

    -Carolyn

    --
    Carolyn
    Carolyn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11436

  3. abbabibble

    abbabibble Guest

    exactly about the shorts as carolyn said. I actually bought two pair of
    shorts that look like baggy shorts, but have the pads sewn in as well.

    I'd be surprised that the axle is bending already, you haven't done
    near enough on it to break it... it's renowned as a good starter uni.

    p.s.-- Ninjas are better than pirates.

    --
    abbabibble

    Cheers, Matt.
    'NEW, \"Ninjas. Unicycles. Yeah.\" Shirts are out! BUY NOW AT
    ZAZZLE.com!' (http://tinyurl.com/954wy)
    *"Water. Duck's back. Yeah."* -- GILD
    Habbywall, that-a-way -------------->':cool:'
    (http://www.nickjantz.2ya.com) Kristine is that-a-way, too.
    ----------->X
    *"LX seats are as comfortable as bricks."* lildude2 *PANIC
    BUTTON-->':eek: ' (http://www.geocities.com/abbabibble/mrtsb.html)*
    abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

  4. bmemike

    bmemike Guest

  5. Spudman

    Spudman Guest

    I don't mean this in the offensive sense, but how much do you weigh?

    Something else to take into consideration is that the 26" LX has 170mm
    cranks, so it takes less force to bend the axle with those as opposed
    to the 125mm cranks on a 20" LX.

    --
    Spudman

    under construction
    Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752

  6. Jerrick

    Jerrick Guest

    I too weigh 170 =p

    With the longer cranks, it will be easier to bend, specially with out
    them being splined.

    The axle\hubs arnt universal, there are many different kinds, IMO, the
    KH hubs are the best, but profiles are really good too =p then most
    cotterless hubs (square-tappered) are pretty much the same, except some
    can be somewhat better, but not too much, for a strong hub, splined is
    the best way to go =p

    --
    Jerrick

    'MRIS!!!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)

    Kristine wrote:
    > how is that not in anyone's sig yet?

  7. Jerrick

    Jerrick Guest

    nope, you can just buy new cranks, or a new hub, depends what brakes,
    for everything (most of the time) you only need to replace what broke,
    in some cases you do need to buy a new hub\crank set, but usally its
    one or the other =p

    --
    Jerrick

    'MRIS!!!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)

    Kristine wrote:
    > how is that not in anyone's sig yet?

  8. dan de man

    dan de man Guest

    im pretty sure you can still have children cause con tray to popular
    myth the semen is created somewhere other that the testes(hey
    gild/gilby im using the corect terms here) and the testes are just
    there to create testostorne or atleast thats what my dad said

    --
    dan de man

    James_Potter wrote:
    > Each end has to eat. What goes in one end, comes out the other.
    > Therefore, whatever end A eats, let's call him Fred, what Fred eats has
    > to come out of side 2, let's call him Charlie. Whatever Charlie eats
    > must come out of Fred.
    >
    > It's gruesome, I know. But the truth hurts sometimes.

    dan de man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11403

  9. Eddbmxdude

    Eddbmxdude Guest

    dan de man wrote:
    > im pretty sure you can still have children cause con tray to popular
    > myth the semen is created somewhere other that the testes(hey
    > gild/gilby im using the corect terms here) and the testes are just
    > there to create testostorne or atleast thats what my dad said

    I think your dad is pulling your leg mate!

    Unicycling has pretty much killed my chances of having kids! Lol! I
    crushed my balls soo much when i was learning. Now i only crush them on
    high drops when i land wrong!

    Rock on!
    Edd

    --
    Eddbmxdude

    Its like England here....Iv never seen so much sun!

    "Its not that far up really" Zippy, on climbing up snowdon.

    "How about not equating death with stopping?" - Alanis Morissette
    Eddbmxdude's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11584

  10. dan de man

    dan de man Guest

    yeah i thoght some thing was up when he was telling me

    --
    dan de man

    James_Potter wrote:
    > Each end has to eat. What goes in one end, comes out the other.
    > Therefore, whatever end A eats, let's call him Fred, what Fred eats has
    > to come out of side 2, let's call him Charlie. Whatever Charlie eats
    > must come out of Fred.
    >
    > It's gruesome, I know. But the truth hurts sometimes.

    dan de man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11403

  11. Wheel Rider

    Wheel Rider Guest

    The LX is probably not intended to be a heavy-duty MUni. I would vote
    that it is probably a combination of the big wheel, long cranks, your
    weight and the hopping that is bending your axle.

    As for the chafing..."real" bicycle shorts are expensive. I find the
    chafing happens when you sweat. For everyday riding I wear
    "compression shorts". They are cheaper, tight fitting, spandex type of
    material and do not have the extra padding. Rubbing takes place between
    my outer shorts (usually cotton cargo shorts) and the compression
    shorts instead of against my skin. Look for compression shorts in the
    sporting goods department of your local discount store, usually next to
    the athletic supporters.

    --
    Wheel Rider

    A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
    blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
    Wheel Rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10656

  12. tholub

    tholub Guest

    Unicycles don't have separate axles and hubs like bikes do. You can
    replace the hub, but it means rebuilding the wheel.

    I think it is unexpected that a Torker LX hub would be bending just
    from hopping curbs, even with beginner's technique. The component I
    would most expect to fail would be the cranks; is perhaps the crank
    itself bent?

    --
    tholub

  13. dorfman

    dorfman Guest

    yea i have foolishly taken my lx hopping down steps and nothing is bent
    or broken...a defect mabye but there may be many factors 2 the
    bendation....i took mine on muni but noithing super rocky.. as far and
    the kids thing....yes your balls can get hurt from unicycling if you
    mess up but i have never heard of any one going sterile or any thing
    like that

    as for chafing i dont have as much problems with hit unles i wear
    shorts...if i wear long pants i never have trouble

    if your going 2 buy a new hub for the lx i dont think you need splined
    as i think some one else said i dont think its worth puting a splined
    hub on a lx but im not an athority either

    i guess you could call up unicycle.com about it and see what they
    recomend they are pretty nice and cool

    hope i helped

    warren

    --
    dorfman

    I BROKE MY FIBULA!
    my unicycles are like my imaginary friends that every one can see.
    i am Amandas NO.2 fan!
    my myspace
    http://tinyurl.com/s6dct
    dorfman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10880

  14. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

    i think you can still have kids but they may end up like your boys
    will...deformed! but seriously, crushing your balls wont make you not
    have kinds it will just hurt for a while. and about the cranksa nd hub,
    if its bending already then take it easy on them or if you have the
    money, upgrade.

    --
    trials_uni

    TRIALS 4 LIFE !
    [image: http://tinyurl.com/qz2fv ]

    koebwil wrote:
    > I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
    > letters I don't want

    w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR

  15. joshuni

    joshuni Guest

    wayde is a pirate wrote:

    > And last, will I still be able to have kids, or does unicycling blow my
    > chances out of the water.
    >
    > Any advice would be awesome.
    >
    > Thanks
    > -Wayde

    well, i'ld say yes. unless you can meet a girl who also rides.
    somehow i doubt the uni makes the same impression on females as say a
    white '06 cadalac escalade with 26" chrome spinners (not that i would
    trade my torker for a gas guzzler like that anyday, but at least i'm
    out of the denial stages.)

    --
    joshuni

    president of the norml uni sect
    "canadaneesses (ka-nA-dan-E-cez) are cool, if you think otherwise then
    go sit on a trout and spin. when you reach the tail, the ride is
    over." -me 'cause FHM took a shot at the homies. (canada, please give
    me citizenship to your fine country)
    joshuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11670

  16. toddw9

    toddw9 Guest

  17. update: today i tried hopping with my feet switched around to see if
    the cranks woud re-align and they did, then i hopped regular and they
    went back, so i think it is the cranks and not the axle, which is good
    because i dont want to rebuild the whole wheel.

    also, i rode about 4 miles today wearing softer cotton pants rather
    than jeans, and the chaffing wasn't nearly as bad. maybe i'll invest
    in a pair of those compression shorts.

    joshuni wrote:
    > well, i'ld say yes. unless you can meet a girl who also rides. somehow
    > i doubt the uni makes the same impression on females as say a white '06
    > cadalac escalade with 26" chrome spinners (not that i would trade my
    > torker for a gas guzzler like that anyday, but at least i'm out of the
    > denial stages.)

    so the problem isn't destroying my reproductive organs. thats good
    news.

    thanks for all the advice everyone.

    -wayde