Questions from a young cyclist

marlon1

Jan 29, 2004
Hello.

A few questions....

I am cycling for a year, but never with a club or something, just alone in the neighborhood.

I'm 17yo, 1.82m, 57kg.

The last few weeks I am training on my hometrainer. I can produce 228watt, for me that is 4watt//kg. For 40min, so it is not my maximum. What are normal reates of watt/kg for cyclist? I calculated this is the same as climbing the alpe d'huez in 50min.

Is it good to train 5 times a week, 20-30min. with 90%-95% of my maximum heart-rate? Or is it better to train longer (1-2hours, with less power, like 60-80% maxHR)????

Originally posted by marlon1
Is it good to train 5 times a week, 20-30min. with 90%-95% of my maximum heart-rate? Or is it better to train longer (1-2hours, with less power, like 60-80% maxHR)????
Well that would all depend on your goals. In reality doing the same session every day or even doing the same sessions once a week every week is not going to be the best training.

Sounds like its time you joined a club or found a coach!!!!

As for the power question; its likely that your trainer isn't very accurate and so gives you readings that are too low or high or even change over the training ride (usualy with changes in temperature of the unit). If you look on www.britishcycling.org.uk you will find the selection criteria for the British national squad which include maximum power values and peak power values. There will be criteria for your age too (use junior (roughly 16 to 19) or espoire (under 23) values).

my trainer is ok.
I'm not questioning that, but just remember that any measuring device from a ruler to car speedometer might be very slightly out (poorly calibrated or inaccurate).

A problem only occurs when you compare sets of data at different times or made using different machines. On this site we'll be giving you data from power taps or SRM power meters; its unlikely that your trainer or any other trainer will give results that are exactly the same.

ok. it's a tacx swing. 4watt/kg is that something? What is normal? How much watt/kg can profs cycle?

It's exceedingly unlikely that your Tacx is accurate. None of them *actually* measure power, but estimate from either the velocity of the flywheel or electrical current. The Tacx units i've tested have been off when compared to an SRM or PT. Thus, it'd be unwise to compare your power to someone elses (including another Tacx unit as there's differences between each machine) when their power had been recorded on a different power meter/or trainer unit.

What is normal? Normal for who, the general population, an athlete, or a pro athlete? Bearing in mind the point above (i.e. you need an accurate and valid power meter to make comparisons to others), 4 W/kg is pretty good going -- for myself personally, on a standard road bike on a non-dual carriageway course that gives me ~ 58/59 mins for a 25-mile TT (obviously, actual time will be dependent on size and mass of the rider, bike position and equipment, and environmental conditions, etc).

World class pros (i.e. Hour Record) can do about 6.5 W/kg

Ric

how accurate is the tacx? 99%? 95%? 90%?

I'm thinking of buying a Tacx Flow, that has a calibratuion-function and accurate power-measuring. Does anyone know something about this?

how accurate is the tacx? 99%? 95%? 90%?

I'm thinking of buying a Tacx Flow, that has a calibratuion-function and accurate power-measuring. Does anyone know something about this?

I've not used or seen a Tacx Flow, but have used all the other trainers that purport to measure power (they estimate it) and they're not overly accurate.

In this regard, the Kingcycle Test rig ergometer which is about UK£2000 (~US$ 3600) is accurate to only +- 10%.

Each individual unit of a specific make/model tends to differ from the next. For e.g. an Acme Trainer that i have will (likely) read a different power from an Acme Trainer that you have.

I think it's unlikely that the Flow will be accurate, for that you'll need an actual device that measures power such as the SRM and Power Tap, which cost somewhat more.

On the other hand, looking at the information on the Tacx site it appears that the units are somewhat reproducible in power. This should mean that once calibrated, *** watts on your unit will always be *** watts. Whether this is the case in practice i won't know unless Tacx send me one to evaluate. However, this does not mean it will be accurate compared to SRM/PT.

Ric

Hello.

A few questions....

I am cycling for a year, but never with a club or something, just alone in the neighborhood.

I'm 17yo, 1.82m, 57kg.

The last few weeks I am training on my hometrainer. I can produce 228watt, for me that is 4watt//kg. For 40min, so it is not my maximum. What are normal reates of watt/kg for cyclist? I calculated this is the same as climbing the alpe d'huez in 50min.

With all due respect to 2Lap etc, instead of concentrating on power outputs et al, you need to get out and simply cycle !

Training isn't simply comparing sets of data, I would suggest.
What I would suggest for you to do is to join a club and measure
yourself against people of your own age.
By training with people of your own age, you will be able to see
what level you are currently at.
THEN start looking at data and ways to try to imporve your performances.

2Lap and the others here are invariably correct when they discuss data.
But you're 17 - you're new to the sport and there will be plenty
of time for you to gather data to try to make improvements.

If I can suggest, i think that you need to train on a controlled basis.
You need to fit training in and around your life (perhaps you're still at school and are studying ?).
Education is more of a priority rather than improving your cycling I would suggest.
therefore, you need to structure training around your priorities
in life.
If you can manage it, I would suggest that you look at 1-2 hour option that you've outlined.

Believe me there is plenty of time (and plenty of help on this website) to look at statistical data later !