Questions from Beginner

Rob Kirk

Guest
Could someone answer me a few questions please- i am new to this mountainbiking. I have a new Marin
Bolinas Ridge;

The rear wheel seems to move by 1 or 2mm side to side when spun, it was like this when new- how much
is allowed?

There are no rubber boots over the front suspension parts that sink into forks when depressed-is
this normal?

My front brake was making an awful scratching noise when in use so i took the brake-blocks off to
find pieces of metal in them-what might have caused this?

Am i ok using wd40 on chain and cogs?

Thanks

"Rob Kirk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Could someone answer me a few questions please- i am new to this mountainbiking. I have a new
> Marin Bolinas Ridge;
>
> The rear wheel seems to move by 1 or 2mm side to side when spun, it was
like
> this when new- how much is allowed?
>
> There are no rubber boots over the front suspension parts that sink into forks when depressed-is
> this normal?
>
> My front brake was making an awful scratching noise when in use so i took the brake-blocks off to
> find pieces of metal in them-what might have
caused
> this?
>
> Am i ok using wd40 on chain and cogs?
>
> Thanks

The rear wheel will be allowed to move the total distance between the brake pads.

The boot things have probably sunk into the fork parts!

You'll be just fine with WD40 on your chain. The chain, on the other hand, will soon explode.

The Holiday stress made me do this, but I do feel better.

http://www.marinbikes.com/html/spec_bolinas.html

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest I've just wasted.

D T W .../\... wrote:
> "Rob Kirk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Could someone answer me a few questions please- i am new to this mountainbiking. I have a new
>> Marin Bolinas Ridge;
>>
>> The rear wheel seems to move by 1 or 2mm side to side when spun, it was like this when new- how
>> much is allowed?
>>
>> There are no rubber boots over the front suspension parts that sink into forks when depressed-is
>> this normal?
>>
>> My front brake was making an awful scratching noise when in use so i took the brake-blocks off to
>> find pieces of metal in them-what might have caused this?
>>
>> Am i ok using wd40 on chain and cogs?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> The rear wheel will be allowed to move the total distance between the brake pads.
>
> The boot things have probably sunk into the fork parts!
>
> You'll be just fine with WD40 on your chain. The chain, on the other hand, will soon explode.
>
> The Holiday stress made me do this, but I do feel better.

DTW is a grinch; pay him no nevermind. ( :) )

Your rear wheel is slightly out of true. If possible, take it back to shop (?) where purchased and
have 'em fix it up. (Otherwise take to a REAL bike shop, or better yet learn how to true wheels
yourself.) No rush if not rubbing on brake pads...

Some forks have boots; others don't. Just clean and lube your stanchions now and then...

Front v-brake squeal is quite common. Try toeing-in the pads a tad (and use tweezers to remove
metal bits). You might consider a different brand of brake pad, since it shouldn't eat up the rim
so readily.

Bill "besides, squeal is a nice 'early-warning device' if you don't have a bell" S.

Sorni wrote:
> D T W .../\... wrote:
>> "Rob Kirk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Could someone answer me a few questions please- i am new to this mountainbiking. I have a new
>>> Marin Bolinas Ridge;
>>>
>>> The rear wheel seems to move by 1 or 2mm side to side when spun, it was like this when new- how
>>> much is allowed?
>>>
>>> There are no rubber boots over the front suspension parts that sink into forks when depressed-is
>>> this normal?
>>>
>>> My front brake was making an awful scratching noise when in use so i took the brake-blocks off
>>> to find pieces of metal in them-what might have caused this?
>>>
>>> Am i ok using wd40 on chain and cogs?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> The rear wheel will be allowed to move the total distance between the brake pads.
>>
>> The boot things have probably sunk into the fork parts!
>>
>> You'll be just fine with WD40 on your chain. The chain, on the other hand, will soon explode.
>>
>> The Holiday stress made me do this, but I do feel better.
>
> DTW is a grinch; pay him no nevermind. ( :) )
>
> Your rear wheel is slightly out of true. If possible, take it back to shop (?) where purchased and
> have 'em fix it up. (Otherwise take to a REAL bike shop, or better yet learn how to true wheels
> yourself.) No rush if not rubbing on brake pads...
>
> Some forks have boots; others don't. Just clean and lube your stanchions now and then...
>
> Front v-brake squeal is quite common. Try toeing-in the pads a tad (and use tweezers to remove
> metal bits). You might consider a different brand of brake pad, since it shouldn't eat up the rim
> so readily.
>
> Bill "besides, squeal is a nice 'early-warning device' if you don't have a bell" S.

Ooops, forgot about WD-40. DON'T USE IT AS A LUBE! Try a real chain lube or even motor oil, but
not WD-40.

In fact WD-40 is an anti-lube!! It's great to clean a real lube off your chain!!

news:xQ%[email protected]...
> Sorni wrote:
> > D T W .../\... wrote:
> >> "Rob Kirk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> The rear wheel will be allowed to move the total distance between the brake pads.
> >>
> >> The boot things have probably sunk into the fork parts!
> >>
> >> You'll be just fine with WD40 on your chain. The chain, on the other hand, will soon explode.
> >>
> >> The Holiday stress made me do this, but I do feel better.
> >
> > DTW is a grinch; pay him no nevermind. ( :) )
> >
> > Your rear wheel is slightly out of true. If possible, take it back to shop (?) where purchased
> > and have 'em fix it up. (Otherwise take to a REAL bike shop, or better yet learn how to true
> > wheels yourself.) No rush if not rubbing on brake pads...
> >
> > Some forks have boots; others don't. Just clean and lube your stanchions now and then...
> >
> > Front v-brake squeal is quite common. Try toeing-in the pads a tad (and use tweezers to remove
> > metal bits). You might consider a different brand of brake pad, since it shouldn't eat up the
> > rim so readily.
> >
> > Bill "besides, squeal is a nice 'early-warning device' if you don't have a bell" S.
>
> Ooops, forgot about WD-40. DON'T USE IT AS A LUBE! Try a real chain lube or even motor oil, but
> not WD-40.

"Rob Kirk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Could someone answer me a few questions please- i am new to this mountainbiking. I have a new
> Marin Bolinas Ridge;
>
> The rear wheel seems to move by 1 or 2mm side to side when spun, it was
like
> this when new- how much is allowed?
>
> There are no rubber boots over the front suspension parts that sink into forks when depressed-is
> this normal?
>
> My front brake was making an awful scratching noise when in use so i took the brake-blocks off to
> find pieces of metal in them-what might have
caused
> this?
>
> Am i ok using wd40 on chain and cogs?

Don't use wd40 and don't lube the cogs, no point, just attracts dirt. Just lube the chain with a
lubricant.

Chris