Questions on getting started in road racing...

sparknote_s

Jun 13, 2004
I'm 17, and I'd like to get into road racing eventually. I just finished building my first road bike. It's light weight, with ultegra derailleurs and BB, 105 shifters, sora calipers. Aero wheels from performancebike. Aluminum frame w/ carbon fork.

1) Is a bike like that good enough to race with?

2) Basically...how do I get into cycling? Should I try to ride at a certain average speed in training to make sure I don't make a fool of myself first? In my most recent triathlon I averaged 19.5 mph (it was only 16 mile ride, but I could do that for more miles I think), but that's with drafting off others at some points.

3) Any tips or suggestions for good races in the southeastern wisconsin area?

4) Any other suggestions on what to do to get into the sport?

First off, its sweet your getting into riding.

1.) Sure, your bike is plenty good enough to race with.

2.) You get into cycling by just getting out there and riding. Your starting off later in the season, so a lot of things that you should have done early, your going to want to skip, such as spinning. Basically just ride. Dont worry about making a fool of yourself in a race, racing isnt about image. Get out there and do Cat 5 races. If you drop off the back, you drop off the back. The best way to train for races is to race in them. When you go out on rides, spend the first part of the ride spinning, and the second part work on power. A computer with cadence will be your best friend. I recommend the Cateye Astrail 8, its cheap and does the job. Spin in the mid to high 90's, and in power mode, work on keeping cadence around 85, but in a harder gear than your spin. Speed will come with time. If all you can do is 19.5, thats ok, but push yourself on your rides and you'll improve soon. Getting better is a series of breaking yourself down and recovering, so get good sleep and give yourself time to rest. Depending on your time, work your mileage up until you feel comfortable. I try to do anywhere from 50-80 miles on my training rides. The more time I have the more miles I'll do. Visit your bike shops and get to know when their group rides are and go on these. Riding in groups is a good way to get better. Since your 17, you fit into the Jr category. This is perfect. I wish I had gotten in in time for jr's. You can do the Cat 5 race, and the Jr races. Jr races give you lots of points and you'll find yourself upgrading like mad in a short amount of time. Go to races and meet people, its the best way to gather knowledge.

3.) A local bike shop should be able to tell you either a website with races in your area, or know about the races themselves. Once you get to one, ask around and see how everybody else knows about the races.

Most of all, Have fun riding.