questions on mono reactivation

AshesGlory

Dec 17, 2005
I'm a 45 year old male cyclist who races about 10 times per season. Blood tests have just confirmed a reactivation of mononucleosis/glandular fever/epstein barr virus. I will meet with my doctor next week. I wanted to educate myself to the best extent before that meeting and I have done the usual internet research but I was wondering if anyone had personal experience with a mono reactivation, how long did you rest, what was your recovery regemin and how long before you were back to full training, was there any treatment and have you had any success with probiotics etc. Any experience will be valuable to me. Thanks.

I was 17 when I had "type 2"? mono and I almost had to be hospitalized because my airway was allmost swollen shut. I think it took about 2-3 weeks to get over it. I could not eat solid foods and lost about 20lbs.

Yup I've had mono about 8 times in my life...finally found out that I have the EBV also.

I am a 47 yr old male.

I can't remember the recovery period that it took me the last time cause it's been so long ago. (thank God)

My docs always told me to do what I feel like I can do. It can be a very slow recovery process. Very frustrating too.

I'm having a bout with adreanal burnout right now. If you are unfamiliar with this term buy the book "The Diet Cure" by Julia Ross. She may also recommend steps for recovery from what your suffering from now.
I stopped reading when I got to what was ailing me.

My heart goes out to ya cause I know how bad it can suck.

Good luck ...speedy recovery.

Make sure you are working with a doc who has a backround in infectious diesease and you need to start to look at things a bit different for the next 6 months focous on recovery and working back slowly or you will have even greater problems. Good luck for a speady recovery

AshesGlory said:
I'm a 45 year old male cyclist who races about 10 times per season. Blood tests have just confirmed a reactivation of mononucleosis/glandular fever/epstein barr virus. I will meet with my doctor next week. I wanted to educate myself to the best extent before that meeting and I have done the usual internet research but I was wondering if anyone had personal experience with a mono reactivation, how long did you rest, what was your recovery regemin and how long before you were back to full training, was there any treatment and have you had any success with probiotics etc. Any experience will be valuable to me. Thanks.

I'm a 41 year old female and just found out I'm battling mono for the fourth time. Last time was in 7/2008 right before Ironman. I did the race but think I did lasting damage, as I've been battling symptoms ever since. I've continued training but this time am determined to follow dr's orders, lay off all training for two weeks then listen to my body and push back as I can, hoping to run a marathon by mid-June. think the only treatment that works is rest and fluids, haven't had much luck with the probiotics. Good luck to you.

This is a scary thing for those of us who like to push our bodies beyond what might be considered normal limits. I have had Mono at least 8 times and suffer from cold sores every month. The cold sores make me feel like **** and can derail my training for up to 2 weeks. I have however noticed some relief in my symptoms since seeing a naturopathic doctor for the last year. She has started me on a natural immune booster called Gold 360. It is a remedy found in the Korean medical book dated 1610. I also found out recently that the super small amount of Valium I was taking at night to help me sleep was also causing my immune system to be some what depressed. If you are on any medications, you may want to find out if they might have this affect as well. My naturopathic doctor gave me a tea that does amazing things for my sleep there by allowing me to stop the Valium. It took me some time to get it out of my system (about 2 months)but it was well worth it. I still have to be careful and not take in too much sugar or white flour (both of which can affect your immune system)and get more sleep than the average person, BUT (and that's a big but...and knock on wood...a large piece) I have
been well and have been able to train very hard.
Good luck to you and try to keep your spirits high,
Bryan
P.S meditation has helped to to keep fairly destressed (stress is a huge enemy for those of us in this situation). and calm.

P.S.S.
In the words of Tim Alan from the movie Galaxy Quest "Never give up...Never surrender"!

FWIW here is a follow up on my post from 2.5 years ago. My mono reactivation occurred in the 2007 season. I took it easy until the start of 2008 when I started to train again.At the end of the 2008 season I was diagnosed with another virus from the same family called CMV. Again I had to take it easy for the remainder of the year. In 2009 I changed the way I trained. I decreased my training intensity but kept the volume the same. My base training period was almost exclusively sweet-spot training, very little at or over threshold. As the season approached I introduced some threshold work, but nothing like what I had been doing in previous seasons. Also the only time I went at race pace was in races. I took a week off, doing nothing, in the middle of the season in June. I had my best racing season and I remained virus free. I am following the same plan this season.