Questions: Pedals / Shoes

noonievut

Jul 5, 2004
1) Does "float" translate to how much I can move my foot when clipped in, or how much the cleat can be adjusted before clipping in?

2) Related to above, I want a pedal where I can adjust the angle (i.e. toe pointed slightly in on left foot), but with very little movement when I'm clipped in (foot won't move around much after this position tuned in), other than clicking out...point is I know what I want, so why would I want much movement after the fact (some minor movement is fine if I want it)

3) Do you make this type of adjustment at the cleat/shoe, or the pedal itself (does this vary by brand...I was thinking of Ultegra pedals).

4) Any other related comments or suggestions?

Thanks.

noonievut said:
1) Does "float" translate to how much I can move my foot when clipped in, or how much the cleat can be adjusted before clipping in?

2) Related to above, I want a pedal where I can adjust the angle (i.e. toe pointed slightly in on left foot), but with very little movement when I'm clipped in (foot won't move around much after this position tuned in), other than clicking out...point is I know what I want, so why would I want much movement after the fact (some minor movement is fine if I want it)

3) Do you make this type of adjustment at the cleat/shoe, or the pedal itself (does this vary by brand...I was thinking of Ultegra pedals).

4) Any other related comments or suggestions?

Thanks.
1) Yes to the first part
2) Because this float protects your knee joint from injury
3) Adjustment is made at the shoe/cleat (at least with Look style)
4) Since I'm only knowledgable with LOOK, be sure to investigate other styles of pedals.

noonievut said:

You can adjust the float with Speedpaly Zero pedals, and you can make the left foot toed in by adjusting the cleat float screws. I normally use SPD, but I use Zeros for racing since they're better for racing.