Questions Questions...

MichaelB

Feb 10, 2004
I have been riding for few years now pretty much on my own. I am running a reasonably cheap road bike because I am not competing. My questions are what kind of average speeds do people see and also how many bikes do you get through in a year.

I average about 35km/h or a little more on a good day depending on how much wind there is (its windy here in Liverpool, England). I do 26km per day about 5 days a week.

I have been going through a bike per year too, although in this time I have changed the bearings a few times and maybe a rim or two. The frames have still been good its just that everything seems knackered and its easier and maybe cheaper to just get the latest version.

35k is fast for riding on your own - obviously I don't know how flat the course is or anything, but I'd still say that's pretty rapid. I guess you're getting your miles in as part of your commute, in which case I'd ask if that 26km is split in 2 or is one long session?

I'd say to get in a club and try out some longer sessions. Even if that 26km is in 2x 13km sessions, it would still be the equivalent of 2 decent 10mile timetrial times a day! Why not try a local midweek evening event (most clubs do a '10' one evening a week in the summer - find your local club at http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/clubsasp/north_west.asp ) and see how you get on?

As far as the bike maintenance, again I'm guessing that you get your training in on the way to work as I do: I find maintenance increasingly difficult because the bike gets mucky on the way to work, then sits there wet and stinking all day without any chance for you to clean it. But it should still be cheaper to replace the worn bits than to buy a whole new bike surely?? The main things that will break are the chain, front mech, neither of which are expensive or difficult to fit yourself in an hour or so. The cables will need replacing every now and again and that's easy too. The brakes often stick, but just clean them with a degreaser, soak with teflon lube and use an elastic band between the bit where the cable goes in and the bit you attach the block to - that assists the spring and lets the lube open the spring back up, while letting you use the bike straight away again. Take band off in a day or so. Joining a club will lead to people to talk to about these things.

Thanks Rob.

I dont commute on my bike I use it for fitness so that 26km comes at once. It also doesn't really matter that I go flat out because I just travel in a loop and so can have a shower at home. I tend to break my cycle up into about 2 or 3 bursts so that I can go reasonably quickly. I dont know whether this is the best way to train but I find it suits me. I also tend to get a little bunged up riding so I often have to stop to blow my nose - I dont know if this is a common problem although I doubt its something to be discussed in polite company!

I should get involved in a club but its not my only sport or hobby so time is precious. This summer though I ought not be so idle and give it a go.

Originally posted by MichaelB
I tend to break my cycle up into about 2 or 3 bursts so that I can go reasonably quickly. I dont know whether this is the best way to train but I find it suits me.

It's called interval training, most coaches currently see it as a very good way to train.

I also tend to get a little bunged up riding so I often have to stop to blow my nose - I dont know if this is a common problem although I doubt its something to be discussed in polite company!

lol, sounds like you're the only polite one - most people cough and snort all sorts of things up and just spit off the side of the bike!! nice.

I have been riding for few years now pretty much on my own. I am running a reasonably cheap road bike because I am not competing. My questions are what kind of average speeds do people see and also how many bikes do you get through in a year.

I average about 35km/h or a little more on a good day depending on how much wind there is (its windy here in Liverpool, England). I do 26km per day about 5 days a week.

I have been going through a bike per year too, although in this time I have changed the bearings a few times and maybe a rim or two. The frames have still been good its just that everything seems knackered and its easier and maybe cheaper to just get the latest version.

35Kms per hour is pretty good going (21 mph) : I'd have to say that this speed shows that you're fit anyway (TDF average speed is 40kms per hour or 25mph !).

I've long since finished competing but I try to maintain 18mph or
29kms per hour - which I find pretty good and it keeps me fit.

As regards going through bikes, I tend to use my bike perhaps 3-4 days per week and twice at weekends and I have to say apart from getting cables replaced (brake&gear), I don't have many mechanical problems.
I think it helps if you maintain your bike yourself and look after it.
I don't go through bikes, I've got two and they're both road bikes and I've had them since 1999.