Questions regarding Shim's 7 Speed rear hubs

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Raymo853, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. Raymo853

    Raymo853 Guest

    Can the modern, say post-1993, Shimano rear 7 speed hubs all use the same freehub? I have an older
    Alivio rear hub that has a ruined freehub and was thinking of replacing it since the axel bearings
    are still smooth and the rim is in fine shape.

    Tags:

  2. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 11:47:27 -0500, "Raymo853" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Can the modern, say post-1993, Shimano rear 7 speed hubs all use the same freehub? I have an older
    >Alivio rear hub that has a ruined freehub and was thinking of replacing it since the axel bearings
    >are still smooth and the rim is in fine shape.

    I did this recently. The only problem was that the metal seal pressed into the top of the freehub
    was different between the old and new one. The bike shop pulled the old one from the trashed freehub
    body and pressed it into the new one. Check this on your replacement. You could probably do this at
    home easily enough.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#transplant

    As to *every* 7 speed freehub body being interchangeable, I don't know enough to say one way
    or another.

  3. Raymo853 wrote:
    > Can the modern, say post-1993, Shimano rear 7 speed hubs all use the same freehub? I have an older
    > Alivio rear hub that has a ruined freehub and was thinking of replacing it since the axel bearings
    > are still smooth and the rim is in fine shape.

    There are Hyperglide-C and Hyperglide freehubs. The former are designed for 11T top cogs. You can
    bodge an 11T cassette onto the other type of freehub with a spacer.

  4. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "Raymo853" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Can the modern, say post-1993, Shimano rear 7 speed hubs all use the same freehub? I have an older
    > Alivio rear hub that has a ruined freehub and was thinking of replacing it since the axel bearings
    > are still smooth and the rim is in fine shape.

    I *think* that there's an "ATB" and a "road" version for the freehub body. The ATB hubs have small
    recess which the body fits into instead of being flush like the road hubs.

    Beyond that, you should have no problem. In fact, just yesterday I switched the cassette bodies
    between an old (1990?) Deore hub and a STX-RC hub, just so I could have an 8-speed 36-hole wheel (my
    favorite configuration). Everything fits fine.

    The only hitch was removing the body from the bare STX-RC hub. I fixed that by lacing the hub
    halfway (one flange only) to a spare rim. This gave me enough leverage to extract the center bolt
    from the hub. The other hub was already on a built-up wheel, so that was simple.

    Jeff