Questions regarding Shim's 7 Speed rear hubs

Raymo853

Guest
Can the modern, say post-1993, Shimano rear 7 speed hubs all use the same freehub? I have an older
Alivio rear hub that has a ruined freehub and was thinking of replacing it since the axel bearings
are still smooth and the rim is in fine shape.

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 11:47:27 -0500, "Raymo853" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Can the modern, say post-1993, Shimano rear 7 speed hubs all use the same freehub? I have an older
>Alivio rear hub that has a ruined freehub and was thinking of replacing it since the axel bearings
>are still smooth and the rim is in fine shape.

I did this recently. The only problem was that the metal seal pressed into the top of the freehub
was different between the old and new one. The bike shop pulled the old one from the trashed freehub
body and pressed it into the new one. Check this on your replacement. You could probably do this at
home easily enough.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#transplant

As to *every* 7 speed freehub body being interchangeable, I don't know enough to say one way
or another.

Raymo853 wrote:
> Can the modern, say post-1993, Shimano rear 7 speed hubs all use the same freehub? I have an older
> Alivio rear hub that has a ruined freehub and was thinking of replacing it since the axel bearings
> are still smooth and the rim is in fine shape.

There are Hyperglide-C and Hyperglide freehubs. The former are designed for 11T top cogs. You can
bodge an 11T cassette onto the other type of freehub with a spacer.

"Raymo853" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Can the modern, say post-1993, Shimano rear 7 speed hubs all use the same freehub? I have an older
> Alivio rear hub that has a ruined freehub and was thinking of replacing it since the axel bearings
> are still smooth and the rim is in fine shape.

I *think* that there's an "ATB" and a "road" version for the freehub body. The ATB hubs have small
recess which the body fits into instead of being flush like the road hubs.

Beyond that, you should have no problem. In fact, just yesterday I switched the cassette bodies
between an old (1990?) Deore hub and a STX-RC hub, just so I could have an 8-speed 36-hole wheel (my
favorite configuration). Everything fits fine.

The only hitch was removing the body from the bare STX-RC hub. I fixed that by lacing the hub
halfway (one flange only) to a spare rim. This gave me enough leverage to extract the center bolt
from the hub. The other hub was already on a built-up wheel, so that was simple.

Jeff