Questions we don't want to answer again

hwttdz

Sep 28, 2003
I don't mean to be mean I'm just tired of reading posts asking the same question and then people telling them to bugger off, so hopefully if you're tired of a post you can post here and then they can come look here rather than starting that again. I'll start.

Question: What bike should I buy?
Answer: Ask your local bike shop (lbs).

Added: And go talk to your lbs is a pretty good question about most things. And find an lbs you like.

hwttdz said:
I don't mean to be mean I'm just tired of reading posts asking the same question and then people telling them to bugger off, so hopefully if you're tired of a post you can post here and then they can come look here rather than starting that again. I'll start.

Question: What bike should I buy?
Answer: Ask your local bike shop (lbs).

Question: Is bike weight important?
Answer: Only if you are already at 5% bodyfat, otherwise lose the spare tire.

Mr_Potatohead said:
Question: Is bike weight important?
Answer: Only if you are already at 5% bodyfat, otherwise lose the spare tire.
What's the best bike under 1000$
What is better Campy or Shimano?

izzodesh said:
What's the best bike under 1000$
What is better Campy or Shimano?

Izzodesh, not quite playing by the rules you have to give an answer, so not to steal your thunder but let me try.

1) Depends on you.
2) One is not better than the other, or depends on you as well.

Q: Bibs or shorts?
A: Whatever feels better.

Q; Undies or bareback?

Q: I'm thinking about taking my 20 year old Panasonic and upgrading everything, but don't want to spend a lot.
A: Buy a new bike

Q: I want to put on an Ultegra group on my $500 Sora bike so I can go faster.
A: Don't

Uh, yep. Why not do a freakin SEARCH once in a while?!?
It's at the top of the screen, towards the right side, and says: S e a r ch
:eek:

i understand the frustration (i've read back over the past 30 pages or so and seen more and more of the same) but some newbies like me might actually benefit from having specific advice given to them. not to say that "what feels best to you" isn't the right answer to a question like "which bike is the best for me, given x details," but it's not the only answer. it's best for people to research on their own to find out what's what, but at a certain point it might help for someone to explain why tiagra is better than sora, which is information that is not as easily found as the simple fact that tiagra is a step above. put more briefly, i agree with the intent of the thread, but i think that many are going to still ask the same questions and some need more specific advice than just "go with what you like" since i'm sure doing that has created a problem for more than one unwary shopper.

nonewdirections said:
i understand the frustration (i've read back over the past 30 pages or so and seen more and more of the same) but some newbies like me might actually benefit from having specific advice given to them. not to say that "what feels best to you" isn't the right answer to a question like "which bike is the best for me, given x details," but it's not the only answer. it's best for people to research on their own to find out what's what, but at a certain point it might help for someone to explain why tiagra is better than sora, which is information that is not as easily found as the simple fact that tiagra is a step above. put more briefly, i agree with the intent of the thread, but i think that many are going to still ask the same questions and some need more specific advice than just "go with what you like" since i'm sure doing that has created a problem for more than one unwary shopper.

You're right, nothing against newbies, welcome to cycling. But how about proposing a simple rule:
- ask educated questions
- you can easily and quickly educate yourself by doing a search 90% of the time
- for the other 10% where you don't find anything, you probably have a new and interesting topic to post that hasn't been rehashed to death.

"What metal is best" ?!?!?! come on!

Double or Triple?

Depends on terrain, ability, how you want to look, (price range).

RC2 said:
You're right, nothing against newbies, welcome to cycling. But how about proposing a simple rule:
- ask educated questions
- you can easily and quickly educate yourself by doing a search 90% of the time
- for the other 10% where you don't find anything, you probably have a new and interesting topic to post that hasn't been rehashed to death.

"What metal is best" ?!?!?! come on!
yeah, that's true too. educated questions are the key, and people especially shouldn't be bringing back topics that have been throroughly covered. i think people should spend at least 2 weeks just reading before they post. i have read a lot of posts here before i actually starting posting. that would stop a lot of the threads like "what metal should i buy?" thanks for the welcome.

capwater said:
Q: Bibs or shorts?

Q; Undies or bareback?

Q: I'm thinking about taking my 20 year old Panasonic and upgrading everything, but don't want to spend a lot.
A: Buy a new bike

Q: I want to put on an Ultegra group on my $500 Sora bike so I can go faster.
A: Don't
I like the last one. people think they can fool "the man" by getting an entry-level bike & upgrade the parts. It ends up costing more than a better bike & u still r left w/ a substandard frame!!!

keydates said:
Double or Triple?

Depends on terrain, ability, how you want to look, (price range).
the same goes for stem angle
0 degree stem-----competitive
adj. stem-----------casual

You lot are all jerks. Having been around longer does not make you better or smarter. You are not LA as you seem to think, and he would be happy to help any noob with anything.

Velo Serg said:
You lot are all jerks. Having been around longer does not make you better or smarter. You are not LA as you seem to think, and he would be happy to help any noob with anything.
relax mate !!! If you've been in the forum, for a time, u will see the same basic questions asked over & over & over (that others have to scroll through to get to something that has'nt been discussed ad nauseum) in the fairly recent past. Its like cutting through the "brush" to get to the "clearing"

davidmc said:
relax mate !!! If you've been in the forum, for a time, u will see the same basic questions asked over & over & over (that others have to scroll through to get to something that has'nt been discussed ad nauseum) in the fairly recent past. Its like cutting through the "brush" to get to the "clearing"
That is what forums are for. Welcome to the internet. Yes, I wan't fries with that david. You heard me.

Velo Serg said:
That is what forums are for. Welcome to the internet. Yes, I wan't fries with that david. You heard me.
this is one of many on this website.This is not a compulsory thread as far as i can tell so feel free to browse. :D Do you need any ketcup or salt ?

davidmc said:

But seriously, I can agree that some questions come up too often for MY liking. But this is not MY place, it is a forum for EVERYONE. If you do not like a post, just do NOT read it. It is often quite simple to see from the title what it is about.

Newbies must have the right to ask any question, anyone else for that part.
This forum does not "belong" to the people that spend the most time here. I see this all the time. This is internet, not some private club where you can write the rules. Right? So, help out as much as you can, if you do not like a post because it is a silly question or anything else, just IGNORE it. It is nothing personal to anyone you know. How do you suggest someone new to forums and cycling is going to get educated? They ask questions, they might not know that the same question has been asked about a million times last week, they might be unsure to how to do an efficient search and so on.

It is simple, when a forum becomes "popular" you get more "uneducated" questions if there is such a thing. I have seen the same thing in Hifi forums, photography forums and then some. So, just face the fact that a forum has a life of its own, you can not control it, just contribute to it, be the bigger man or woman.

Sorry for the rant, I am out looking for some bike stuff and it is pissing down outside so I got stuck in an Internet Cafe.