Quick chain question

swskier

Nov 25, 2004
I have a shimano 9spd 105/ultegra bike and it had a shimano HG chain on it which I discovered cannot be removed with a chain tool and then put togther again with out a new pin. I want to get one that I can put togther with a chain tool and I want to know if i can do that with a SRAM PC69 chain. I know it has a masterlink, im just wondering....
-Thanks!

swskier said:
I have a shimano 9spd 105/ultegra bike and it had a shimano HG chain on it which I discovered cannot be removed with a chain tool and then put togther again with out a new pin. I want to get one that I can put togther with a chain tool and I want to know if i can do that with a SRAM PC69 chain. I know it has a masterlink, im just wondering....
-Thanks!
Just use the friggin shimano replacement pin. Sram doesn't offer replacement pins and doesn't recommend reusing a pushed pin. It can be done in both cases with the original pin,but don't whine about potentially bad results.

boudreaux said:
Just use the friggin shimano replacement pin. Sram doesn't offer replacement pins and doesn't recommend reusing a pushed pin. It can be done in both cases with the original pin,but don't whine about potentially bad results.

Boudreux with the normal unhelpful, increase my post count reply.

You could get a Wipperman chain that doesn't need tools at all, I've used one and it works fine. Alternatively SRAM or MAVIC do a similar chain that doesn't require tools.

Dave N

well, im sorry for the dumb question, but i just didnt know. Would it be better to try and keep track of an use the replacement pins or get a chain with somesort of masterlink? It seems like I could pretty easily loose a replacement pin. Its time for me to get a new chain anyway so I could go either way. If anyone had any opinions I Would appreciate it.
-thanks

dave, I guess my question was , with the sram chain, even though it has the powerlink that does not require tools (i think?) can a old pin be pushed out and in? but i think he answered in his post that it is possible but not reccomended.
-thanks

swskier said:
dave, I guess my question was , with the sram chain, even though it has the powerlink that does not require tools (i think?) can a old pin be pushed out and in? but i think he answered in his post that it is possible but not reccomended.
-thanks

As I said I have the Wipperman 10 where the links can be opened using a conventional chain tool if you require to shorten it.

Dave N

DaveN said:
As I said I have the Wipperman 10 where the links can be opened using a conventional chain tool if you require to shorten it.

Dave N
You do the same thing with a Sram for a lot less money. Any chain has to be shortened to length.

DaveN said:

You could get a Wipperman chain that doesn't need tools at all, I've used one and it works fine. Alternatively SRAM or MAVIC do a similar chain that doesn't require tools.

Dave N
Ya have to have a tool to shorten it.

swskier said:
Okay, thats cool, ill check out the wipperman...thanks for the advice.
Use a Sram 9 speed with the link. Get a spare link for repairs or just in case.It'as a no brainer. You can even use a sram 9 link on a shimano 9 chain. Any chain you buy has to be shortened to corect length.

DaveN said:

You could get a Wipperman chain that doesn't need tools at all, I've used one and it works fine.
And this is useful information? How do you shorten the friggin thing to correct length without a tool? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

boudreaux said:
And this is useful information? How do you shorten the friggin thing to correct length without a tool? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

His point was that the Shimano chain once opened had to be relinked with a new pin rather then driving the pin back in a conventional chain with a chain tool.

Yes the wipperman does require a conventional chain tool to set the length but from then on the connex link can be opened and closed without a new pin or new link as in the SRAM or Campag chains. With the link the chain can easily be removed for cleaning and replaced without tools.

DaveN said:
His point was that the Shimano chain once opened had to be relinked with a new pin rather then driving the pin back in a conventional chain with a chain tool.

Yes the wipperman does require a conventional chain tool to set the length but from then on the connex link can be opened and closed without a new pin or new link as in the SRAM or Campag chains. With the link the chain can easily be removed for cleaning and replaced without tools.
You really don't have a clue do you. The Sram link requires no tools and can be reused. Campy doesn't even have a removable link.

boudreaux said:
You really don't have a clue do you. The Sram link requires no tools and can be reused. Campy doesn't even have a removable link.

What is wrong with you?
I didn't say the campag did have a removable link,the chain the poster spoke of required a specific tool or new pin to rejoin the chain.
In the example the campag does require a specific tool and a new link "perma link" to rejoin the chain. His current chain requires a new pin to rejoin.
The new SRAM has a removable link as does the wipperman.

Go throw your toys out of your pram elsewhere unless you have some thing to contribute. Or if this forum is your own prized possession, I apologise and you can continue to be as sarcastic as ever.

DaveN said:
Yes the wipperman does require a conventional chain tool to set the length but from then on the connex link can be opened and closed without a new pin or new link as in the SRAM or Campag chains.
Read this again.Think real hard about it.It's meaningless drivel, particularly the part about Sram ..... And, despite what Campy says, their chain and connecting device do not require special tools.You can also use a connex link with the Campy chain if you want to be able to take it apart without tools.

DaveN said:
While we are at it, anyone that is focused on someone elses post count obviously has some serious issues.

Oh I've had enough of this.

You are right oh most high boudreaux, how could I ever dare to have questioned your superior wisdom on all things. You are the fountain of all cycling knowledge, I bow before your greatness and will never again query your motives or knowledge again.

Never again shall I step out from beneath your glorious shadow oh "Great Boudreaux"

DaveN said:
Oh I've had enough of this.

You are right oh most high boudreaux, how could I ever dare to have questioned your superior wisdom on all things. You are the fountain of all cycling knowledge, I bow before your greatness and will never again query your motives or knowledge again.

Never again shall I step out from beneath your glorious shadow oh "Great Boudreaux"
Good catch.